I received a death threat today

Agree. It’s just a meme, I’m not even sure it crossed the line of the bad taste joke tbh.

But @bartv, before it’s too late, I want you to know, that if the guy really kills you, I will be outraged.:angry:

2 Likes

It’s a meme. The person who sent it was just probably not bright/adult enough to figure out it could be interpreted as a real death threat or that the person on the receiving end may not be part of the generation fluent in memes. Regardless, I am pretty sure it was just a dumb joke, not a genuine threat.

More here:
https://www.google.cz/search?q=taken+meme&rlz=1C1CHBF_enCZ791CZ791&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjTqOXTtPjaAhWBkxQKHdUdAbcQ_AUICigB&biw=1920&bih=989

2 Likes

In a totally different context I guess. There is no place for a threatening joke in a private message to strangers.

1 Like

The error is to think that is threatening meme, is a joke in private and publicly

1 Like

Joke or not (and it’s not funny btw), it’s highly inappropriate in the very least. People are resistant to change even if the change is better. Just wait until 2.8 comes out – there will be tons of folks who won’t like it just because it’s different.

1 Like

Let’s give a context to the meme too.
Liam Neeson is caricaturally popular (expecially in internet) for being a badass.
Even Family Guy cartoon made an entire episode joking about his badass reputation.
The meme which is very very popular in internet is just a semi-quote of a movie scene (Taken) where the most dramatic part is the final “I will kill you”.
This is the scene:

What I’d like to say is that before taking an action on someone, you must try to understand what’s behind. Some people have different ways to communicate, while a simple user has not the duty to understand, a mod has. And that’s all the serious things I have to say about it.
Then we can even talk about how much stupid is to send memes via PM.

3 Likes

Saw it in a thread guys just to clear that up, can’t find it though, guessing it’s a deleted post.

Don’t recall seeing death threats, joke death threats, or well any threats made on the previous BA. Anyone else? So now we may have two precedents set, please be mindful and respectful of them going forward.

If the admins want to maintain a site that’s more Polycount than 4chan that’s their right and ad space.

5 Likes

2.8 is change for the better, but so far Discourse feels like change just for the sake of change. Every single time in recent 5 years that I saw any forum do a significant overhaul, it always resulted on massive exodus of the people onto social networks, and the forum started to die slowly. CGTalk being a prime example of that.

1 Like

3 Likes

It’s not uncommon to see memes in polycount, and the web site warns in its rules that the forum is not safe for work and that conversations are usually PG13 or R, and that if you don’t like nudity you better grow up.

3 Likes

I just love the site, first the heart button and then the suggestions at the bottom, the read/unread post, my old thread that i didn’t answer, all those things make it easy to track down. So in short good job Bart and keep up good work :slight_smile: :muscle::muscle: <- i can now do this

2 Likes

@LazyVirus Is Wayne Brady gonna have to break out the @all tag?

I’ve missed them then, from what I’ve seen it’s pretty dry and technical.

One thing that was becoming an issue on the old site was tumbleweeds and/or ghost trolls. Basically people who post some complex question, receive many answers, and then never return or reply. @bartv, are you planning on tracking/tagging or somehow dealing with the problem?

1 Like

I can’t see tags and I dont understand your joke. You must be temp banned.:laughing:
And

2 Likes

Actually in this forum people have very thin skin, which explains a lot. I’ve been a moderator in other sites and I’ve never seen anything like what happens here.

4 Likes

The only thing I know about Liam Neeson is him jumping over a fence which has 13 cut scenes (worthy of a Golden Raspberry Award).

1 Like

WOW… simply wow…

I was honeslty not expecting this from someone in the blender community. I’m beyond surprised… that over a website change? Mentality of people over the globe seem to be taking a slight nosedive…

Either way, hope the person who posted this truly understands how inappropriate their action was

Bart:

Absolutely the correct response. Glad you’re here and moderating.

Too bad so many of the replies show tolerance for this kind of behavior. To say that some responses surprised and appalled me would be an understatement.

RonK95

1 Like

@bartv this comes to mind…

filibis: Being a little harsh (not to say uninviting) on newbees aren’t you. It takes some time for some one new to the Blender community to find and understand all the wonderful resources available to them.

There is no such thing as a stupid question only intolerant responders.

RonK95

1 Like