I received a death threat today

I’m the newbie actually, joined a month ago. But I’m aware of Discourse features and effort being put by admins to this migration and appreciate it.
Interesting that most people who are whining about the new website are ‘dinosaurs’ that don’t want any change. And i see lots of newcomers or who wants to learn the features, simply ask questions on threads, to learn…

Take a quick look at this thread replies, you will understand:

Bart that’s from a movie… it’s a quote
Nice work on the migration

1 Like

@bartv I am curious if the person who sent that meme has apologized for it? So at least you will know it was meant as a joke.

Nah… you’ll get experienced.

1 Like

We’re not dealing with a dictatorship here.

This is a private space. It has an open door, but much like any store has an open door, if you piss off the shop keeper, they can kick you out.

This is Bart’s forum. He is administering the servers, he’s putting the time in to clean up, and he pays the bills. He can kick everyone out at a moments notice and delete everything if he wants.

He invites people in to this private space for good conversation and a sharing of information. if people aren’t playing by the rules, it’s his prerogative to step in as he sees fit.

If I were throwing a party and someone comes and starts kicking holes in my walls, I’m gonna kick him out. I have the right to do so, as they are on my private property.

Bart isn’t the evil dictator silencing people on the street, he’s just trying to maintain some decency in a shared (but private) space.

Respect your host. He doesn’t have to do this, and he can stop at any time. Let’s try to be respectful of what he wants in his private space.

6 Likes

The “meme” we are talking about had its popularity in 2012 which is 17 Blender releases ago.
(counting only major releases from 2.79)

That is a meme, not a sincere death threat. I think you guys are taking it a little to seriously. The internet is naturally a hateful vitriolic place, and feeding the trolls only makes it worse in the long run.

1 Like

Maybe banning them for 30 days will help…

I think it’s none of our business. To be honest I think (actually I hope) that once @bartv has steamed out rage and put aside pride he will find a solution which will not be a matter of who has to apologize to who.

It’s not a matter of dictatorship. It’s a matter of common sense which wasn’t used.
Usually communities has Admins, Community manager(s), senior and junior mods.
Bans are not decided by one person only, not even the boss of the bosses, but listening the opinion of at least senior mods, up to CM when the case it’s very difficoult. And bans are given for really serious reasons, not for a meme. It’s the only way in order to avoid misunderstanding and abuses on members.

What I would do? I would make the situation clear with the guy in PM and case closed. Everyone makes mistakes, it’s not that we have to find someone who put himself on its knees and pray for forgivness.
Then if admins here are really disturbed by memes, jokes, irony set a specific rule for the forums where here people must talk only in math. Because BA is full of serious professionists… ops I made a joke. Sorry.:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

So people who helped make the blender community what it is today are less entitled to their opinion then the new comers and critics? Seems kind of backwards thinking to me.

Who is this guy? You know who actually he/she is? Have you communicated with him/her? Have you learned his/her real intension or motivation? If you do and learn that he/she is serious, there’s no problem here and your reaction is normal. But if you react solely based on this silly meme without communicating with that guy, there is probably a problem here. This doesn’t mean I approve this guy’s behaviour by the way.

Seems like a lot of people have ruffled feathers here. Do the members here seriously want a forum where passing around threats is part of normal conversation?

There are some things that you shouldn’t joke about. It’s also a mistake to think that literally anything should be permitted just because it is in the form of a meme. What if someone posted a meme that talks about torturing children or committing genocide, would it being in that form and would the attempt to be “funny” suddenly make it okay and not lead to consequences?

6 Likes

@bartv
I think that you should not take the whole thing so seriously. In my opinion it is just nonsense and was not meant to be evil. Even if it looks like that to you. If the guy writes something like that again and speaks to you personally, that’s another matter. Then it is absolutely not acceptable. But I can understand you… thats not that funny.
BTW. who is discobot? This guy is annoying to me :wink:

Accusing someone of sending death threats is a pretty serious allegation. Fortunately, all the evidence here indicates this is a misunderstanding rather than an actual threat. Unfortunately, someone is being punished for it anyway.

I’ve debated getting involved in this at all, but I’m really not comfortable that a member of this community is being wrongfully punished over a false allegation. It’s just getting off on the wrong foot I think. I think the more tactful route would be admitting there was a misunderstanding, unban the guy, and move on. In my experience, unchecked egos and false allegations cause much greater harm to a community than any meme could—no matter how tasteless.

Anyway, whatever the solution is, I hope it comes out amiable for all involved.

4 Likes

I think the only person that has the right to judge if he was offended or threatened ist the recipient himself.

I personally appreciate if the communication style in this forum remains constructive and not offencive or threatening as I learned to know.

And don’t feed the trolls.

4 Likes

The replies in this thread show why some think Blender has a toxic community.

A threat is a threat, since nuisances are near impossible to purvey on the internet, anything a serious as a threat should be taken at face value and shouldn’t be tolerated. It doesn’t matter if it’s a meme or not.

4 Likes

Bart, my statement was directed to Avent_Crown to be specific, but truthfully in general… I tend to accept that my best interests are seldom in the best interests of others and as such if it it is a choice between choosing my own council or the council of others on a decision where I am the one who is on the hook for penalties and paying the price of the ticket for the ride, well…no offense but I’ll lean to my own best judgement.

And that is not saying that hold any ill will to others but quite frankly the last person you should ever trust in life is the one who tells you to trust them.

Wow, this shocks me. I’ve also been using Blender since 1998 and I’ve found the Blender community to be one of the friendliest and most helpful online communities I’ve encountered. I guess every community has their bad apples, but still. Sorry that you had to go through that. A site change isn’t that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things. If it really affects someone that much, I think they need to take a moment to consider what’s important in their life.

Well, bart says they’re only silenced for a month, not banned. It’s just that people who will proceed to do the same thing will proly get banned.

i really don’t think this should be taken lightly, even though it is probably not a serious threat.
being on the internet is no excuse for acting in a rude, mean, and distasteful manner.

3 Likes