I think I'm going back to 2.49....

What happens if 2.49 turns out to be incompatible with Windows 8 or the newer iPad?

Blender.249b has the Quicktime render format. That is the great.

Patricia3D : Blender 2.62 has Quicktime render format…

http://www.airheaded.com/b/qt.png

Thoughts?

Blender 2.5 GUI is the best thing that ever happened to Blender in years. It’s not perfect, and 2.5 has a few regressions left, but in comparison to 2.4x it’s amazing.
I have absolutely no idea what you hate about it.
The keyboard short-cuts didn’t change much, E extrudes as it should.
It’s way easier to rig in Blender 2.6, as you get a clean column on constraints instead of that mess you have to deal with in 2.4…
Could you be more specific on what problems you have to deal with, because really I have no clue how can it possibly be worse…
Maybe blender just somehow doesn’t work properly on your machine?

Stick to Win 7 then.
Win 8 is just Win 7 with a bit less memory consumption + A really crappy touch screen idea with absolutely no sense in what people actually need in the os.

Totally agree with him. In the past whenever i opened up the Blender 2.49 UI, half of my mood for modelling was gone. But now with the new interface, everything looks so much fresher and neater.

I still have a copy of 2.49 on my comp, I don’t use it anymore, nuf said…

nah jk, seriously I still (for some reason) remember 2.49 being faster and more capable then 2.6, but whenever I go back, it is almost as hard for me to use 2.49 as it was when I switched from 2.49 to 2.5, there are a lot of things that I would change (and have changed) about the 2.6 versions but for the most part 2.6 is a much more capable and efficient blender, my advice, just keep using it, you will love it.

If somebody says the hate something its safe to take their word and move on. He, the op, hates 2.62 even after a gazillion arguments he is still not going to like it.

I am just scratching my head why you need a thread to announce you are moving back to 2.49

I know that he hates it. I just don’t understand why. I can’t think of a single significant advantage that Blender 2.49 has over the coming 2.63…

I know that he hates it. I just don’t understand why. I can’t think of a single significant advantage that Blender 2.49 has over the coming 2.63…

Floating panels :wink:

I have started from Blender 236 and growing upto 249b without any problem.
the gui after 2.5 is completely changed. If the gui was remain the same, then there will be no problem.
Another thing the new version show grow form the old version, but new version is completely looks like different software.
I am so used to 249b that I just can’t leave it.

Sure, floating panels are cool, but is that really that significant?

Its really a matter of preference, I personally liked having the panel at my cursor when I pressed N-Key. Would be nice if I could drag the panels off the toolbar for use in the 3D window. could have them pop back into the panel when they are closed or something.

He says it in his post, he doesn’t like the UI. He thinks its cumbersome and overcomplicates things. He can’t get his rigs to work. He can’t get the short cut keys, which are largely unchanged, to work ‘e’ doesn’t extrude and so on.

I think there is no problem in not likely a program. There is no way Blender is for everyone, if you don’t like it move on and find something that works better for you. Modo, Max, Maya, Houdini, LightWave,Cinema4D all very capable alternative. If you don’t have the money to do this than learn that You shouldn’t look a gift horse in the mouth.

if you like 2.49b than just work with it I think you can still get plenty of years out of it.

Talking about GUI consistency… Most things in the N panel don’t even belong there. Not sure about “Display”, “View” or “Backgrounds” though, as they are separate on all 3D views.

But basically, all properties should be kept in the properties editor, as that is what it’s for. It’s best if the T and N panels are completely removed imho.
And that dragging panels to the 3D view idea - Totally agree.
And the N hotkey could be used to Show/Hide all the floating panels on the current 3D view.

There are a lot of imperfections that Blender 2.5 UI has, but it’s nowhere as close to 2.49 and not as significant.

He says it in his post, he doesn’t like the UI. He thinks its cumbersome and overcomplicates things.

That’s very vague.
Plus, 2.49 GUI is far more complicated, as it is ordered in a nonsensical way, actions and properties are smashed together.

He can’t get his rigs to work.

Why?

He can’t get the short cut keys, which are largely unchanged, to work ‘e’ doesn’t extrude and so on.

E extrudes as it always did. What’s he expecting?

Floating Panels? Don’t they act the same if you RMB click on the main properties toolshelf and choose “horizontal”? Then you can drag any area around to customise order just like in 2.49… or are you referring to something else?

Floating Panels? Don’t they act the same if you RMB click on the main properties toolshelf and choose “horizontal”? Then you can drag any area around to customise order just like in 2.49… or are you referring to something else?

Remember the N-key property panel in pre 2.5 Blender?

I even did a tiny proposal on how the horizontal panels can be brought back with expandibility…

There is a workaround, edit all the bl_ui scripts that have panels with hidden headers, comment out all the lines with: bl_options = {‘HIDE_HEADER’}

Then give the header a catchy name via: bl_label = “Name”

and you should have a decent way to set up a horizontal panel layout comparable to 2.49

Edit: I would write a much more in-depth description on how to do this but this would be a strange thread to put it in, maybe I’ll make a tutorial later or something.

I always thought 2.4x was a great program and once you fought your way through the mess of an UI you had a kind of feeling someone tought you ancient and secret knowledge no one else will easily grasp.
When 2.5x came out with the all new and shiny UI I was missing functionality at first, and hated it because all me superpowers were gone and I had to relearn where to find what and how it works.
After about a week I felt at home (thanks mfoxdogg for the video tutorials) and I really liked the new UI, I didn’t feel too special anymore, loved the context sensitivity, still missed functionality which slowly came back however I soon realised that it was more of a re-ordering of things rather than a usabiliy improvement and many things are still in a questionable context, just like Freemind said.

But yeh, 2.5+ might have rough edges, but it’s nowhere near the mess 2.49 was.

In blender 2.49, such panels that are in the N menu float with a transparent background on the 3D view like nodes.

Top left.

Bottom 3D view, left and right.

It doesn’t matter what anyone else opinion is on this you or I might find it nonsensical or whatever but the OP happens to like 2.49 GUI. And the are Blender users that do like 2.49 GUI and hate the 2.5x GUI.

I just happen to think its a waste of time trying to argue or promote the merits of 2.5x to someone has made it very plain and clear that he doesn’t like it.

My two cents if you hate 2.62 but love 2.49 than use 2.49 and for the love of god don’t post a thread about it, its not a big deal

Patricia3D meant on Windows OS, because on the Windows OS, the devs removed quicktime, gif and psd support starting with Blender 2.58 :
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Ref/Release_Notes/2.58

Please, do so when you’ll have some time, i have always been frustrated by how setting the align option to “Horizontal” is broken due to those header things, and i’m sure i am not the only non-coder type of Blender users that have been stuck in this.

How many of you still have 4:3 monis for bleder? Remember, they are 16:9 and such. Now, go and cut off more value from vertical space and use horizontal menus.
I managed to move to and use vertical ones. Could put even two next to each other and have some reasonable 3dview.
Hit A and mouse scroll on vertical panel doesn’t take that much effort too if what. Press and move horizontally…Really, there’s much more to move horizontally than that.

Happy blending whatever way, all!