Ideas for lighting for realism

Anyone got any ideas on how to light this scene to give it a more realistic look? I’m going to add some more details e.g plant, bottles, towels this is still a work in progress.

1 Like

I think that the main light goes so straight from the camera angle and this breaks the general contrast on the image. It seems that there is no exterior lighting comming throw the window.
Maybe opening the gaps of the blind and make the sun passing throw generating sun rays could help!

Btw, I like so much the overall design!

1 Like

Hi Thanks for the advice! So I’ve changed how the light enters and it gives it some more contrast, what do you think?

1 Like

Yep! Is getting better for me!
I would try to achieve even more natural lighting from the exterior and less from the interior. Something like the image below. Opening a bit more those gaps on the blind and directing the sun throw them will help on the global illumination I think.

Keep pushing!

Hi, that’s an awesome work you got there! :smiley:
I would like to share some of my thoughts on this one.
So first of all, it looks a bit sterile and colorless, due to the big amount different shades of grey and white, maybe mix something a bit up, with some decent colors, the towel for example looks a bit metallic with this color.

Here, just found something nice here to underline my point from above, check it out:

Look at the first picture, then look at the second one with the green wall. Huge difference.

Now about the lighting:
Where is your main light source? Imagine if this is a real bathroom, where would it be? Also, at many many places the light usually has some warmer tint to it, often something around 2500 Kelvin of temperature, there is a Node especially for that.
There is also a way for having this sort of atmospheric light, which would have a great impact on your picture, I believe through the window, I have no clue how to achieve that, even though there are spectacular tutorials out there, but right now I am cheating in my own renders. Meaning, I have the main light sources, but I also would in this case use a spot light over the window, like parked behind the wall over the window and pointing right through the blind.
And in case you really are reconsidering your interior light source, not only with the strength, but also with the light temperature you can get a nice contrast between the light from outside and from the inside, especially if you consider that the light from outside has also a slight blueish tint to it, due to the sky. And blue with yellow/orange, even if only slight, can have a nice touch to it.

Oh, and before I forget (sorry that the answer is getting this long) are you using the filmic log encoder? In my opinion a very good way of giving a scene some very realistic lighting, I would google that and check it out, if you didn’t already. Good luck with your work, looks awesome so far! :smiley:

I’ve done another render opening the blind I still need to add in a window frame too! Yes I am using filmic log for colour but maybe I do need to add some more contrasting lighting.

1 Like

Love it! that feels better :slight_smile:
I agree with the contrast, I think more contrast will help a lot.

Great job!

Hey.
I can see you are struggling with lighting here.
The shot looks very high key (it’s good to give photography theory some search - renders are a kind of photography just virtual - some concepts realate to it very well and it helps a lot)
so there’ a lot of light but very little shadow.
But you need to find the balance between little shadow and almost no shadow.

Think about the light sources in your scene and what they make for your final shot.
Now you can barely tell where the light is coming from as it seems to come from everywhere.

It’s a nice composition so I’m sure youl eventually get there.

There’s one more thing I’ve noticed - the tiles don’t meet weel in the corners - review the walls’ texturing.

Keep blending
Jarek D (DJ)

To me, this shot has the classic “Cycles look.” Light is coming from everywhere and nowhere. Consider using BI with its strong directional lights to create a layer to composite into this scene.

Conceptually, warm light would be coming through the window, which can be mimicked by a suitable spotlight. Cooler light would be coming down from the ceiling fixtures. And if the door is open behind us where we are standing, some light would be coming there, too. Each light has a different shade (temperature).

Consider painting the walls a slightly warm color. Or a cool gray as in one of the example photos. Maybe paint one of the walls a slightly different shade than the other two. Maybe put a thin piece of molding around the window?