If Commodore made a handheld

If Commodore made a handheld console…

An imagining from an alternate reality, of a 1980’s styled C64 handheld console where Commodore didn’t file for bankrupcy.

A few more are shown in my Retro Handheld Gallery

technology

Created using Blender 3.3.0 and help from Fluent 2.0 and Sanctus Materials add-on’s

A few other shots and WIP…

25 Likes

@Metin_Seven @bartv I think you two will like this :slight_smile:
Nice render! The materials look great, and the color scheme is very unusual but you pull it off nicely. You clearly have a strong artistic eye, purple+orange+blue could be a complete disaster, but here it’s a eye-catching, aesthetically pleasing piece of work :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I agree that this looks very nice, both design- and render-wise.

But – back in its day – Commodore did make handheld … calculators. :wink:

4 Likes

In other words: where’s the crowdfunding campaign for this? :smiley:

2 Likes

Commodore aficionados are welcome to join the 8-bit / 16-bit computing veterans thread over here by the way:

1 Like

Oooh that’s awesome :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks @joseph, really appreciate the time taken for the positive feedback. I was struggling with the ‘ground’ colour and material and in the end went for that one. Although the 1980’s weren’t always known for their complimentary colour schemes! :smile:

2 Likes

Sadly, I do remember those (although I was a wee lad at the time!). If I do another CBM themed project, I will see how I could weave some of their calculator design into it! Thanks also for the positive feedback.

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

You’re on the #featured row! :+1:

1 Like

Very nice idea and execution! I like it! I’ll take one for sure!!

But now I’m thinking, how about an Amiga handheld???

Randy

1 Like

Nice one, great render and design!
Just to do a bit of nitpicking, how does the tape stay in place? It’s just that cassettes are a little bit thicker on top (the half that’s inside), which makes me think there should be a notch in the slot so it can slide in. I’m overthinking this, the counter is already a nice detail!

1 Like

Thanks for the positive comments!

Sneak peak of my current WIP… :face_with_peeking_eye:

3 Likes

Thank you! :fist:

That’s a great question and I totally don’t have a genuine answer for that one. With all the ones I’ve done there’s something about them that doesn’t quite work out and make it practical. Although, I have to admit I totally cheated on this tape… :grimacing: :shushing_face:

2 Likes

:joy: I feel you!
I just had a look at a real tape and I think that for it to work the slot should look something like this:

But that might mean that the whole console would have to be slightly thicker.

1 Like

The Osborne 1 was the first attempt at creating a “portable computer” in 1981. Even though it had no battery and had to be plugged-in at all times. For a mere $1,800, it could be yours …

1 Like

Thanks for the link! I chuckled when I saw the weight of 11.1 kg!