Im just looking for some blender artist recommendations

So Id love to find some blender artists that do action dioramas within blender. Finding artists that do the type of work you would want to do and achieve can be really inspiring.

I got some pictures of the types of works im meaning in terms of action and style

PCS collectibles:

Iron studios:

sideshow collectables:

Michelangelo:

IMG_4470

I know it may seem like alot but id love to find blender artist that do similar works to these. So i could follow their work and ask them questions about their process so i could learn from them and improve my works and techniques.

1 Like

@Musashidan ?

1 Like

I wouldn’t be much use. I do all my work in Zbrush or VR. But thanks for thinking of me. :smile:

3 Likes

Having been a statue collector in the past (and still have them all), I’m pretty sure you’re not the only one. From my understanding, anything that isn’t hand sculpted, is pretty much all done in Zbrush.

I do remember a project here in the past that started with a 3D render and then the person 3D Printed it all, assembled and painted. It looked really good and I think he did all the modelling in Blender. I just can’t for the life of me find the thread again.

Edit: I did find this one: Bride Princess Peach tho that wasn’t the one I was thinking of. As that had chainmail, a proper base, etc.

4 Likes

Yes indeed. Anything of the high-end work from sideshow/etc is 100% Zbrush. I would go as far as to say that anyone working professionally as a collectible sculptor is using Zbrush. Even if it’s not the studio tool, they will still be on Zbrush as a freelancer. It wouldn’t make sense to use Blender if you have Zbrush available to use.

There was another thread here recently asking about the same, and Blender can be used for statues, but it obviously depends on the complexity.

More simple half naked or superman-type suits are doable, but when you get into much more complex characters with intricate suit pattern designs and props/etc Blender is going to suffer. It simply hasn’t got the performance to handle very complex characters in the 100s of millions.

There was a Blender artist trying to do that sort of work, but as the resolution needed increased he had to run all sorts of hacks like temporarily baking down normal maps.

Because these models have to be pure geometry you really need to be working directly on the geo all the time to get an idea of the final result.

4 Likes