Incremental Save

No problem, I was also very busy :slight_smile:

Can you test this version ? https://github.com/lapineige/Blender_add-ons/blob/master/IncrementalFileSave_v1-6.py

A little up, to be sure you saw the latest version :slight_smile:

hey hey :slight_smile:

i just tested a bit but iā€™m very busy.
for the time being could maybe someone else here test a bit?
also i hope you are not sad but i configured blender so that i just have to hit a button in the save menu to increment and save.
so i hit ctrl-shift s to open the dialogue window and then iā€™ve set the s-button to file.filenum on press and to file.execute on release.
like this blender does exactly what i want :slight_smile:

You mean, you use the classical increment tool included in Blender ? (there is a more simple way: [F2], [+], [Enter] :-D)
I know this tool, and i doā€™nt want to reproduce it. In fact, it create a new file, with the bigest number, who is the file on witch you are working. So the newest file always have a different name.
But if you are working with link of assets, you will need to change the path in all your files each time your use that tool.

My goal is to always keep the same name for the newest file, and to have some backup with an incremental number.

Could you maybe create a version of your add-on that does [F2], [+], [Enter] with one click?

Yes I could, but I donā€™t see the point: my add-on is working very differently, creating a backup with an incremental suffix. But you still work on the same file.
The main goal is to remove any linking issue, and also to keep the file name short and easier to read.

Itā€™s quite different from the included incremental saving tool.
You want a macro to save some time, isnā€™t iit ? If I remember well, those functions are not available in the API. That force us to re-invent the wheel, you canā€™t just make a shortcut for it.

I could do it, but I really donā€™t have any time for the moment, and I think itā€™s a too different workflow to include it in my add-on (however I could make a separate version).
If anyone have some time to do it, you can even start from my code if you want (itā€™s not perfect but quite working to detect/increment numbers, you basically just need to remove any copy operation).

Alright, no problem.

If you didnā€™t find any other add-on doing that, or if no one did it, in letā€™s say 1 month, could you ping me again ? I should have more free time to work on it :wink:

(and if you have some python basics, even if my code is really crappy, I can guide you to make the change, itā€™s not a big modification at all)

PS: Just a short warning, in the current public version the script only use relative path (I didnā€™t had any time to publish a fix).

Iā€™ll look at the code and see how complicated it is, maybe Iā€™ll manage on my own.

Fine, you can find the latest version here: https://framagit.org/Lapineige/Blender_add-ons/blob/master/SaveIncremental/IncrementalFileSave_v1-7.py
(if you prefer github, just replace framagit.org by github.com)
I also made a version with automatic save each X min: https://framagit.org/Lapineige/Blender_add-ons/blob/master/AutoSaveIncremental/AutoSaveIncremental_v1-6.py
Quite handy IMHO (you almost forget about saving your file, as you have an incremental save - but be aware that the weight is multipliedā€¦).

What is mainly useful for you is the detect_number function. A simple +1 after that and some change to the saving procedure and youā€™re done :wink: