Instant field aligned meshes

Cool Beans.

Slight nit: I ran the app from a console using Ubuntu 14.04.

If you Export Mesh/Extract Mesh, then Save, the Save dialog can pop up behind the application. You can get fooled into thinking the application has crashed, when in fact it has not. It is just patiently waiting for you to enter a filename (behind the application).

@blurymind:

ZRemesher doesn’t care if it’s getting it from z-sphere created/sculpted mesh or something else. Especially as, once you apply a “unified skin” to the z-spheres, you lose that information and it’s just quads & some tri’s (if you’ve enabled that option). The advantage ZRemesher has over this algorithm is “fair” in that it is using the same information available to the IFAM algorithm.

You are correct that IFAM is open-source, which makes it a good candidate for inclusion into Blender, but that isn’t a matter of “fairness”. I would, however, hesitate to suggest removing the existing one given there are some issues with IFAM (quite literally - the corner cases!) that make it more labour intensive for static mesh simplification.

For the example earlier both used the same .obj file. The object was a unified mesh output from ZBrush, so a fair comparison

Also you did not specify edge flow direction in your instant meshes test, please correct me if i am wrong. so to create a mesh you did not use all the features that the developers included in the tool.
The Edge brush was tried to get a better mesh flow but I gave up, not happy with the results. Some strokes didn’t register or only part of the stroke showed up. I couldn’t rotate the object when making a stroke or any way for symmetry so I couldn’t create new loops around the base of the tail on the object.

Hint,
Keep an eye open to their githup, improvement will happen very likely, and maybe soon.

Its their goal to bring design technique forward for industries,
By helping out these complex math subjects and to share it on the general public domain.
They invent /research these subjects for the common good.

And if i were Ton, i’d be visiting them now.

(but i’m not Ton)

It’s really difficult to get good results with texts, I wish it could be improved. Also I’d like to have the possibility to draw straight lines, and somehow able to work with symmetries.
I am testing OpenSubdiv with a remeshed model having 40.000 vertices. I have put Wave modifier up in the stack. With OpenSubdiv I get 24 fps with two subdiv levels. Without OpenSubdiv I get 1.2 fps. I had thought that OpenSubdiv not work well in complex meshes, but it seems that at least in my model it is working.

As for now to get symetry i use boolean operator on one half, miror ir and join it (sometimes with edge bridge).

Guys Ideasman42 is already looking at the code, so from our side we have to get more cloud or Dev fund subscribers. :wink:

Let Ideasman42 contact them, cause i contacted them too, they had some updates in mind, would be a waste of time to invent things twice.

That’s too good to be true! Seriously the results are much better than Blender’s default remesher (not that this is a compliment or anything).

Looking forward to seeing this added into Blender, but even if it isn’t I’m happy just by the standalone itself.

Regarding zremesher, we don’t have access to its code do we? So let’s try stop bashing the program and try to point/discuss specifically which features we’d like to have on it. Maybe gathering ideas from other remeshers? Thinking about ways to implement/adapt it?

I agree that Zmesher results are better, but to keep repeating it is really unnecessary.

Anyway, does anyone know if there’s a place where I can donate to this project?

cool,

I don’t think it’s really open source/gpl though

The license.txt

Copyright (c) 2015 Wenzel Jakob, Daniele Panozzo, Marco Tarini,
and Olga Sorkine-Hornung

This software is provided ‘as-is’, without any express or implied
warranty. In no event will the authors be held liable for any damages
arising from the use of this software.

Permission is granted to anyone to use this software for any purpose,
including commercial applications, and to alter it and redistribute it
freely, subject to the following restrictions:

1. The origin of this software must not be misrepresented; you must not
    claim that you wrote the original software. If you use this software
    in a product, an acknowledgment in the product documentation would be
    appreciated but is not required.
  2. Altered source versions must be plainly marked as such, and must not be
    misrepresented as being the original software.
  3. This notice may not be removed or altered from any source distribution.

Pretty much the definition of open-source :slight_smile:

I think one thing to hammer out here is what remeshing configuration would be preferred by more people.

Those would be having one producing arbitrarily-sized faces, but resulting in a mesh ready for animation or one producing more even faces that’s ready for multires sculpting.

I think the ideal algorithm could allow people to choose between one or the other (or a mix of both if possible).

Working on same concept. WIP Instant Retopology add-on.

this great tool help me alot for this body modelling. though I still need to modifer the detail for the final result.
thanks.

Good remeshing imdjs, and good anatomy.

paolo

THIS IS

AMAZING.

seriously, I really hope this will find its way into blender soon… with these guiding lines and all.
I’d even use it right away but at the current state it takes more time to fix the result than manual retopo - at least for me.

for me the biggest problem at the moment is the lack of symmetry.
sure, you can kind of help yourself in blender but again, I rather wait and see what will happen with this awesome tech in the coming weeks or even days.