Interaction strips

In the distant past there was a tool used by millions of people around the world. Then, one day, the mighty Apple declared “Though shall not exist on our platform!” and thousands of developers with dreams of game stores and access portals were banished.

And with that Flash died.

Then a newcomer emerged with hopes and promise… the mighty Grease Pencil!

With the ability to intuitively draw and animate keyframes with onion skinning and in betweens, Grease Pencil was implemented in the established open sourced program free to all - Blender!

But one thing was still lacking; something that would reignite the creativity of so many banished from telling their stories. The ability to interact, to Tap as it were. They yearn for one thing left to do - an Interaction Strip in the Video Sequencer.

Interaction Strip - a proposed strip in the Video Sequencer that defines clickable regions in the render/preview window that when that region is clicked/tapped the timeline playhead is moved a specific frame and continues playing. A LOOP boolean option will loop the strip range.

This simple effect strip will revolutionize the way people can tell stories in Blender Grease Pencil, especially in conjunction with StoryPencil, and in Blender in general when their Scenes can be played real time in the preview window. I imagine a Big Buck Bunny interaction movie where people would click/tap on the screen to choose whether Buck escapes a trap or a butterfly is dodges in time.

Stories could be told like a travelling vacumn salesman’s car breaks down in font of an old Farm house in the middle of nowhere. Or a daring Knight saving a Princess kidnapped by a dastardly Dragon.

This is my dream as I have been banished. I hope you share it too.

I can imagine a time in Blender to create a timeline with Grease Pencil scenes, Interactive effect strips, music and sounds packed into a compressed .blend file that is distributed on the Apple/Android stores, itch.io …etc.

blender_player would be an App in the stores to play them fullscreen. These .blend files could be animated Manga/short stories with table of contents, next/prev page buttons implemented with Interactive Effect strips that “goto and play” different parts of the timeline. What sets them apart is they can be semi animated (blinking eyes, short animations, sounds…etc).

Simple “tap” games could be made… so much!

Below is a sample image of how integrating a proposed interaction strip into a video sequencer timeline would work to reproduce a classic masterpiece.

EDIT - just to be clear the buttons would be drawn by the/a grease pencil scene or an image/text strip…etc. The effect script would define the click region and not actually draw a “Pull My Finger” button.