Ipad: Who's gonna get one?

@kbot: In my opinion, the kindle has the advantage of an easy-on-the eyes screen ideal for reading, even if it is a unitasker, unlike the iPad. ^irony is here.

@dyf: LOL.

^ROFL, irony is here

If we reduce the interaction between human beings and computers to pointing and grunting, then we miss the role of language in the evolution of human mind and human consciousness.

Lanugage is what makes our brains bigger. If we don’t use languages to relate to computers neither their brains nor our brains will grow in the way that they are supposed to grow.

yes, but the touch functions only replace the mouse, which in all honesty carries out the same functions. If language between man and machine is being reduced to grunts and points, well then, the mouse is where it all starts. In all honesty, I fail to see why your point relates to the topic at all.

I do agree that the iPad wasn’t as flexible as I would’ve liked. But, at $500 I think that anyone who wants a ‘general use’ personal computer is getting quite a deal. The features are perfect for someone who wants a computer that’s ‘just enough’, and not ‘too much’. Simply put, this is Apple’s slimline computer.

I could make my own computer or buy a dell with $500:
–I could build a computer, but I don’t trust myself to do it well, as my expirience is limited to the CST class in which we worked with somewhat outdated computers.
–Dell makes terrible computers–no exceptions.

peace,
-nick

Don’t they charge you like $10 for firmware that gives older iPhones the same (or some of?) the capability the newer one has?

But does it run Blender?

Ipad? Like the tampon?

I don’t see how apple is hindering open source. There is nothing that stops people to make apps for iPad that is open source. Ipad has different controllers than a regular netbook. It’s like comparing nintendo wii with xbox360 controller. It wouldn’t work.

The app store is great on what it does. Sure they are limiting you to only their stuff but it’s stuff that other people made and there are many many apps. One example that this device would be great for is remote desktop stuff. 1024*768 is good enough for that. Remote for a large building complex. Check if a product is in storage while talking to a customer. Engineer making complex notes where pen and paper is not enough. There are endless possibilities for a company in that way.

The thing is that I don’t know how to carry it around if it was for a personal use. Do I need a handbag like those college kids?
Where do I put it at home? It’s nothing I would show myself carrying around in my hands. My iPhone work well for checking email and listening music. This thing is to big for casual use.

Too big ? No way, not too big and not too bad. I go with theeth and wait for the Double Whopper version.

But, when i search for OPEN SOURCE Ayfone/ Aybad apps i do not quite find the equivalent of " a vast amount of useful stuff". Looks more like “YES, we can” to me. The free apps lack a big deal of support because of this “security by obscurity” behaviour of Eppel.

But for european customers they are really trying to make it as easy as possible. Look at their easy computable exchange rate: 499 $ = 499 Euros. How can you make it even easier for potential european buyers?

IMHO: The AyBad has to be recommended as a must. If you are an wellpaid artist it´s a must have. It´ll blend in so nicely with your pink poodle. Apart from that, all your succesfull collegues have one. What do you want to tell them, that they don´t get supicious on you, not to be able to afford it ?
Buy NOW!

Exactly my thought too, especially the first part, but in agreement with the rest as well.

An oversized iphone?
i think ill pass…

Even if it doesn´t make much sense: Funnysh…

Maybe we should get a real man´s computer instead. It´s even harder to afford and especially to maintain:
http://www.ominous-valve.com/vtsc.html

:smiley:

Obviously, the iPad represents the extension of the “gestures” paradigm, and as such, it marks an even greater shift from language as the primary form of man-machine interaction.

Oh, and just to mention: Whether or not my point “relates” to the topic is not as relevant as the validity of the point itself.

I do agree that the iPad wasn’t as flexible as I would’ve liked. But, at $500 I think that anyone who wants a ‘general use’ personal computer is getting quite a deal. The features are perfect for someone who wants a computer that’s ‘just enough’, and not ‘too much’. Simply put, this is Apple’s slimline computer.
For people who simply need the functionality of an iPhone, with a bigger touch screen, the iPad is quite the bargain - agreed. However, the iPad is by no means a “general use” computer; it’s a custom software/hardware platform, and it cannot run the GNU/Linux software that any “general use” computer could easily run.

So, say what you want about DELL, but I don’t have to worry about whether or not “there’s an app for that” when I buy one of their laptops; I know that I can just install GNU/Linux, and use a wide variety of software offered for free. Or, if there is truly nothing that can satisfy my needs, I can use the GNU tools to create my own programs, freely, and without having to pay for some “developer license” just to get my hands on the tools.

OMG!

Pee-Wee Herman just got an iPad!

now I gotta get one!

Not quite. The A4 is just another Arm chip and there are plenty ports of linux distributions to the arm architecture so its not like it can’t run the software. The real question is why would you want to? Multi-pointer X is still worse than Apple’s replacement, even with the uncomfortable position you have to hold your hand in to perform the correct zoom movements.

Show me an ARM linux distro that can run Blender.

The real question is why would you want to?

I want the ability to run all the software I can run on my Ubuntu/Slackware box at home:

A “general use” computer.

A little interesting thing to note… Apple actually made this item over 21 years ago…

…no…I am not joking…I have this device:

I’ve got the MessagePad 2100 (The last attempt at this unit), it’s freaking HUGE, has a touch screen, high-res screen, backlit display, speech-synthesis, and a whopping 150 mhz speed, two PCMCIA ports nonetheless…

You don’t realize how BIG this thing is until you hold one. It’s NOT comparable to Palm Pilot or the Palm series, those are tiny PIMS.

This is in fact the tablet pc from Apple…the beginning.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/17/21466606_a09d4b4a82.jpg

Look at that nice SGI blue plastic body!
Don’t you love old stuff from way back when?
I have an Eastman Kodak camera which is over 100 years old and when I get the iPad, I just have to treat it gentle so that someday, someone, somewhere can make a post on the forum about how cool the iPad was … in it’s day :wink:
So hurry up Apple and sell them in Canada already!!! I can’t wait for this thing to be old news! Ha Ha Ha

this is strictly for “yuppie technophiles”. I say no, I will not get one…ever. one day it may be feesible to have a small on the go computer, but this aint it.

For people who simply need the functionality of an iPhone, with a bigger touch screen, the iPad is quite the bargain - agreed. However, the iPad is by no means a “general use” computer; it’s a custom software/hardware platform, and it cannot run the GNU/Linux software that any “general use” computer could easily run.

I reject the notion that a computer needs to be able to run Linux software to be considered “general use”. Linux is a very specific need for a small elite group of people. You can carry out all the same general functions on an iPad that you could possibly need on regular notebook–that being said: being able to use Linux, Blender or an Open Source app is a very specific need, not a general one. Not every person in the the US alone needs or even cares about Blender 2.5 or Linux Oogbooboo.

Custom hardware also has little to do with the Operating system it runs other then the fact that the hardware runs the software. The fact that it is custom doesn’t mean you can’t find a way to run Linux, but the question still comes down to: why would you want to? The computer was obviously not built for you, because your needs are very specific.

I disagree with that notion. While it’s true that Linux isn’t for everyone, it’s also true that Windows, Mac etc. isn’t for everyone too.

Personally I use linux because it’s very comfortable in comparison to the Vista installation on my HP computer, that one was a horrible experience. Even re-installed, and barely used - vista takes 5-10 minutes of soggy disk-trashing just to start up properly and let me do anything at all, while my 2-year-old Ubuntu 64 bit installation takes just about 30 seconds spot on every time - no matter how much software I throw at it.

Hi yournamehere!
I think you pretty much got it dead on and while one might disagree with your Linux comment, the fact remains that Linux does not handle audio well. It never has and if after so many years it still can’t, than what’s the point?
I would love to be able to recommend a GNU/Linux distro that can handle audio from a flash file without the lag (delay).
Vista is something I have never used, XP works well but ever since I got the iMac, I hardly use anything else. Why people install Linux on an imac is boyond me. It already runs BSD and gives me the fastest render times I have ever had.
It’s strange that no one here like the iPad … I think it’s perfect for what it does and hope that Apple ships a few units to Vancouver … never mind about the rest of Canada :wink:

Good night Barbarians!