Ippos

This is my submission for the NVArt5 Competition - Accelerate.

I used blender 2.5 for modeling, LuxRender for rendering and gimp for post processing.
I suffered waiting LuxRender to “finish” with rendering but I really like the final result.

C&c are welcome.

Thanks for watching.

Attachments

That thing looks BEAST!
Some awesome decals on the background would totally finish this off!

Impressive modeling and BTW hippos is better.

Holy smokes… Just about everything in this is killer. Mind if I use it as a wallpaper? :smiley:
5*

Thanks for your comments!

Dilopho definitely the background needs something more, maybe I will add something.

Michalis in greek Ippos = horse. Horse is faster!! :smiley: :smiley:

Lwerewolf I feel flattered! It would be an honor if you use it as wallpaper. Here is a higher resolution image
http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/9181/ippos.jpg

Michalis in greek Ippos = horse

The ancient greek 'IPPOS. The 'I = HIPPOS. As hydra='YDRA, as Helen= 'Eleni.
I’m from greece remember lol
Anyway this is an excellent design and Hippos sounds great.

Very cool.

awesome work!! How long does it take to render it?

This looks something like from Tron’s computer world.
http://www.rowthree.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/tron-legacy-poster_sm.jpg
So yeah i think if you add some more green lines on the car it would look even better! and you can also use the compositor to give it a glow effect, and that would truly make it beastly looking.

But yeah this is an awesome car! They could have used this in the new Tron movie for sure!

If you need help with the glow effect, i have made a tutorial on it: http://vimeo.com/13322805 however use this method in combining it with the car: http://vimeo.com/13508778(you probably dont need to use the glare node for your glow)

Thanks again for your comments!!

Michalis the funny part is that I am greek too! Ok, in ancient greek 'ippos = hippos indeed, but I had modern Greek in mind where ippos = ippos. Anyway I like them both! lol

Leto the rendering lasted 5-7 days on a core 2 quad q9550 cpu @ 3.5 GHz.

DDD thanks for your suggestions and tutorials.

OK lol, the funny think is that I new that you are from greece. ha ha

5 stars. When I saw render time I was like O_O. But I must admit it look sweet

5 stars. When I saw render time I was like O_O. But I must admit it look sweet

And bitter! I’m wondering what the BI can do with this.
BTW some noise could diminish this scale effect in background. Especially when PP (vignette like), it helps jpg too.

So tmz are you thinking about applying any of my suggestions? and rendering with the BI using the compositor?

I hope you are, cuz i think this would look reeeeaaaly cool!

yes DDD, tmz should try this. I agree.

Thanks Jose!

The worst thing with Lux is that if you don’t like your final image you have to wait again. That doesn’t allow you to experiment a lot with your scene because it is very time consuming. But in terms of image quality Lux is my favorite…

The scale effect intesenly appeard due to conversion from png to jpg.
Now I am trying to change the backround with blender’s compostitor.
I am not planning to rerender the scene with BI because next week I will have to leave my pc, but I will try!

The scale effect intesenly appeard due to conversion from png to jpg

Add noise, it helps jpg too.

The worst thing with Lux is that if you don’t like your final image you have to wait again. That doesn’t allow you to experiment a lot with your scene because it is very time consuming.

For my last post (the portrait) I did more than 100 renders and I haven’t finish yet.

Awesome render!

Very nice model and render! But that render-time is so insanely long on such a CPU I believe there must be something with your scene setup that is wrong. I see nothing in neither the model, the materials or the lighting that should result in requiring so looong time for convergence. Have you asked us over at luxrender.net/forum about it? I would expect a rendering time of less than one hour using SLG (even in a CPU only mode, let alone with a decent GPU as well) or up 3-5 hours for lux itself.

Thanks for your comments!

Viator, I don’t believe that my scene has something wrong because lux is slow in all of my scenes. The problem probably is the render settings? I don’t know how to optimize lux for each of my scenes yet. I am going to ask some questions at luxrender.net because I want to understand lux better and I want to gain some speed.
But 3-5 hours isn’t too fast?? I have to see this to believe it. Anyway thanks for the information I will do some research!