The development of Blender is going to kick off again so I decided to share my feelings about its current version. First of all - so many cool features were added that all I can say is thank you devs, you are doing truly fantastic job here! Everybody is excited about all the new features that will soon be merged in trunk but I’m afraid that some of the solutions made within programm are kind of a step back. Perhaps some of you remember my thread :How to make our work easier in Blender with only a few improvements. Today I’d like to start another one, filling up my previous list with some new pointing outs. So here are all the things that really bother me in Blender.
- there’s no Percentage/NonPropLength tool that would help us slide newly created loop (available in Blender 2.49b)
- no snapping options for knife (available in Blender 2.49b)
- we cannot align view to selected face (*numpad in Blender 2.49b) FIXED
- moving object from one layer to another takes a lot of time (on a scenes above 1.000.000 polygons it’s around 20 seconds! worked like a charm in Blender 2.49b)
- we are sentenced for angle based unwrap (just after unwrapping object we can switch to conformal algorythm; sometimes it takes around 60 seconds to unwrap model and if you don’t want angle based method - you waste your time)
- no network places while searching for files and textures (it really is a problem in a big company like the one I work in)
- all the tools and options take too much space; default font size is definitely too large
- lack of 3d Manipulator that would let us move/scale/rotate objects on two different axis at the same time
- automatic texture images update (now we have to reload our scene or each texture manualy)
- really unfriendly way of switching between different cameras on a scene (very simple solution in Blender 2.49b - Viev->Cameras->list of available cameras) FIXED
- Blender lost its speed in 3d view; I always have a feeling that it keeps working on something unnecessary; Blender 2.49b was much faster in all modes
- when I change given parameter I see realtime result in 3d View (e.g. changing object’s diffuse colour); in most cases that’s pretty cool but sometimes it’s a pain in the neck; I’m unable to change seed for my 10000 hair particles from 5 to 10 by just sliding it; Blender starts working on updating the scene for every parametr in between these two (6-7-8-9); in such cases you need to type desired number which is not a comfortable solution
- saving final render image takes a lot of time if you want to change file type (on heavy scenes such as my “Dung Beetle” it took about 20 seconds)
- ridiculous changes in shortcuts (e.g. C for brush select, Shift+Alt+S for To Sphere, Ctrl+M for mirroring, Ctrl+Shift+Alt+C for origin setting)
Now if I made a mistake and some of the things I mentioned actually work in Blender 2.5x than I’m terribly sorry. Still lack of some of the functions from Blender 2.49b makes me use that old version for most of my projects. I know that other experienced users from my country have the same feelings as I do so please think of all the things I mentioned here. I would be really happy to see them fixed before Blender 2.6.