Is the halo material gone or just moved?

Anyone know if there’s still a halo material in Blender? I can’t find anything on it, but it seems that all discussion of it stopped some time ago.

Blender 2.7x use to have a material type called, Halo, which is now depreciated due to vertex shaders not being supported in both EEVEE or Cycles engines.

I believe you can use Geomtry Nodes now however to substitute/replicate the old material type’s usage.

You can also use old fashion method of using Collection Instances (formerly named group instances) to duplicate instance a mesh at every vertex points of a separate object.

Useful for objects such as a pin cushion with needles sticking out of it.

Side note, moved this thread from Python Support to Basics & Interface, as it doesn’t seem to be related to Python.

1 Like

Thank you for the answer. I did not intend to post my question in the python and plugins sub-forum. I am going to try appending an object with a halo material from 2.7 and see if it works, though I kind of doubt it. I was intending to use them for making LEDs, which is their best usage that I am aware of.

in EEVEE you do have Bloom for emission material
which gives a nice halo round object

but valid for all emission object in scene
whish this was per object !

try this one

LED-Test3.blend (3.9 MB)

happy Eevee

1 Like

I found a material called “glow glass” which works pretty nicely. Not quite as quick to render though.

is it in EEVEE ?
with nice halo ?

show nodes set up + sample file

thanks
happy bl

I don’t think it works with eevee but I’ll give it a try and see…
(edit) Nope, definately doesn’t work in eevee.

you don’t see the halo in EEVEE ?

did you use my file ?

works fine here !

happy bl

No, I just tried the glow glass material by itself. Looks tasty in Cycles, but not so much in eevee.

show glow in cycles not certain this works has halo in cycles!

but works fine in Eevee with bloom

happy bl

1 Like