Is there a way to see grid through the object not using transparency?

The Header says it all. I want to be able to see the grid through my object ( in the screen captures I have a plane ) without putting it in transparent mode Alt+Z.
Regular mode;

With Transparency turned on;

I want to see it as it si in transparent mode but without turning on transparency. Can this be done? And not by moving the plane down on the Z axis.

Thanks

Hi, @michaelws. Though you’ve got what seems to be a pretty straightforward question (I am not sure is my upfront answer, by the way), I guess I’m wondering why you want to be able to do that with the constraints you’ve given (not in wireframe mode, and not by moving the object below the axis). Maybe knowing why can help us figure out the best way to get it done for you. Let us know!

4 Likes

You can use a world coordinate texture if your setup permits.

1 Like

Think about it:
You want to be able to “do something special” without “activating” any special abibility/feature… which in fact is already existent… ( albeit impossible in the real world ).
:person_shrugging:

1 Like

That is a legitimate request to use a display option limited to an object and not a mode applied to all objects visible.

In Object Properties tab, under Viewport Display panel you can set display properties per object. There, you can set display of an object to Wireframe instead of Textured.

You can define Transparency per object or per material, in Solid Mode, by modifying Alpha channel of Object Color or Material Viewport Color. Grid is still not be visible because of Transparency. But if you enable In Front option, too, it will be.

2 Likes

( I do not want to discuss legitimation… )

Of course sometimes an object is better to be displayed in some different mode than others… but nonetheless someone has to “enable” any feature someone may want the object to have. And all replies suggest exactly this… enabling “something”.

So object specific wireframe mode is so to speak the ultimate transparency. Maybe if the context would be given even an delete face only *( on selected faces : Delete → Only Faces ) could be a solution…

Maybe this is a XY-problem. IDK.

Thanks for the replies. I asked only because I am taking a course called Creating 3D Environments in Blender on Udemy and in one of the videos he has a plane, in solid mode, and you can see the grid through it. I can definitely do the tutorial without seeing the grid but in all the years I have used Blender for simple modeling I never saw that before and as I was unable to replicate it, I thought I would ask here on the forum.

It may have been something like this:

Plane, in solid view, no Alt Z X ray mode

Here are two screen grabs from the video;

Isn’t it just because the plan is below zero in the Z axis?

1 Like

It shows in the transform box that the location is 0,0,0. So that leads me to assume it is not below the grid.

It may have been moved in edit mode.

2 Likes

…well since when looking at the followed screen grabs also showing that people had written a note… i guess this is a feature of udemy… then maybe ask this directly on the course interaction page / community ??

To @picto: nice idea… but hen the plane object is a Z = 0 …no ; if moved downwards in edit mode… yes (but why?.. context ??)

( Double Kill :wink: )

Thanks Okidoki,
I will ask on Udemy.
Thanks to all who replied!

And don’t forget to tell us… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Will definitely report anything I hear from the instructor.!

1 Like

Also worth noting that he/she using Blender v2.8, iirc, it used to be like when an object is placed at Z0, but now the mesh is priotized so the grid won’t be seen anymore.

Just a possibility… Don’t rely on my memory :joy:

1 Like

Nice idea… but…

If you have time to test it, why don’t use the EXACT same version?

3 Likes

Because… i do not have every version installed… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
…so it was just a click away…