Is this guy right about BlenderBros?

okay, now the question should be what other prominent blender YTbers should people AVOID?

It’s actually becoming increasingly common for actual pros to utilize n-gons in their subdiv based hardsurface modelling workflows. Jordan Cain (@odd_enough on Twitter and Mastodon) is one of the more prominent examples.

1 Like

If you want to learn Blender, why not directly from Blender Studio subscription? 10 bucks per month is not a lot and they have a lot of good content I think.

I think YT has some good stuff too, but generally for learning material I usually go for some paid courses that are legit. Gnomon workshops, Flipped Normals or Artstation Workshops / Courses. I think it is the best to learn from someone who really has background in the field.

And these courses are usually sold on curated platforms.

1 Like

I think that using paid assets is fine, I use them a lot, mostly from Artstation, Turbosquid, Unreal marketplaces, props, shaders, niagara particles…It is just faster way of working during tight deadlines. But I always modify them to my needs.

But yes with Unreal simillar thing is happening as happened with Blender. People started selling plugins for Unreal with magic buttons to make life “easy” for the newcomers, instead of learing the vanilla stuff, fundamentals and understanding why things work the way they work.

1 Like

Actually there are a lot of people on YT who seems to just repeat anything what someone said about blender (or any other topic you want to choose)… especially every time any software does have an update… so sometimes i think “this could be done easier” and sometimes “that is a a nice trick (but not actually the main topic” :sweat_smile: )… so everyone has to decide… does this convince me ??

Addtitional i do not want to judge this… but looking at:

…at least this guy seems to have an eye for art… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

So since some other CG-website closed this year… you may alsohave a look at

…especially their wiki and of course polycount discussion how-the-f-do-i-model-this-reply-for-help-with-specific-shapes-post-attempt-before-asking#latest(they had to add the part after “this” because too many just asked… :wink: )

Additionally… there where a channel on YT but i do not exactly remember if they called themself BlenderBros or BlenderBrothers… totally different… one of those Brothers did something else and the other did made in CG a big boost often participating with other well know YTer and 3D artists… even when mainly using Blender… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Arrimus3D is a great resource.
Not all of the videos are about Blender but I’d say 70% of the time that the knowledge is transferable since topology in Blender isn’t that different from topology in any other software.
https://www.youtube.com/@Arrimus3D/videos

3 Likes

there is no rule. I wish there was one, it can change from one person to another (people think and learn differently), even for the same person this youtuber can be useful for this project. perdiod of time based on your learning curve, department (modeling/animation) and not the other.

but to answer your question anyway don’t focus on the ones to avoid, there is a lot and you will have to handle a large list. focus on who to trust, and when you do, don’t trust them for ever lol keep an eye on the quality

Soooo … if someone has an idea and wants to bring that idea to life … um, download the free 3D app Blender … find that Blender Bros help bring that idea to life … is that a bad thing?

Seriously … ???

And here you all are.

There is nothing like a bad thing…
…it even seems you do think this discussion take a weird path… okay the problem might be this type of question:

Is this right ?

It all depends on the context…
…but… if someone does get paid for something… then someone might have the right to think about and ask some questions about the suitability of the course or tutor for the wanted outcome…

…and if someone may have some “experience” with this one… :person_shrugging: …of course also different people do feel differetn in this too…

1 Like

if anyone said that is a bad idea i think that person should pay a fine

if people were discussing that idea, more precisely that last step of “finding help” trying to improve it with where to find the BEST help, but that’s how you understood it and react, maybe you should pay a fine and read again

1 Like

I seriously doubt you kids understand what Blender can do.

Blender brings ideas to life … period. Not about jobs. Not about your few precious clients, either.

Blender Bros help to achieve that vision.

If you want to go off on some holier than tho tangent … fine, I love reading those comments too, but seriously dial it down just a touch to those millions of folks who just want their idea to come to life.

Give Blender Bros some much needed credit.

2 Likes

Not sure about others, but in general I’d refer to Dikko for character modelling and Blender Bob for any of this modelling specific videos.

I supplement that with various other sources, tho for the most part it all usually matches up with some minor differences in approaches and the like.

Then I try and test it all out myself. One thing to keep in mind is the final use case. If it’s just some single pretty picture, then as long as it looks good, bad topology, no UV unwrapping, etc largely doesn’t matter.

Of course the moment you try to animate, deform, break apart (VFX), etc then anything poorly done just ends up causing pain.

How much one should learn good habits from the start I guess is up to each person.

2 Likes

As far as i understood this… the questions was about the screenshoted comment on YT about:

“…not hardsurface modeling because of wrong topology and not subdivideable…”

and the reply not being “profesional” (?) and not telling about context but getting personal…

Anyway… someone may have a look here:

5 Likes

Which then all depends on how the video and comments are being stated. If it’s clear that it is all a beginner modelling tutorial for concept and that one should never do it like that for final production quality models then that would be fine.

It just that it seems like its being presented as the way to model, full stop and that the ‘old ways’ used for production modelling are outdated and that anyone that says otherwise is out of touch, according to the BlenderBros…

1 Like

Understand I have Zero issue with canned assets
I use prefabbed figure meshes and rig them in Blender & Maya, for animation, all the time.

I have an IMDB film credit(animator for indie film)

and I have made two feature length animated
personal films, yet I would never try to sell anyone a “filmmaking” course.

That is why it irritates me to see these guys who just buy an RTX 4090 and download Unreal Engine and the “Metahumans”
Do nothing related to actual game dev and only make short, boring software feature tech demos of Nanite and lumen with a little facial mocap on the metahumans for YT vids.
And then start selling “virtual filmmaking” courses on Artstation.

1 Like

Check Arrimus3d

3 Likes

I recently looked over this course, it has good theoretical information about bevels and normals, so its not worthless. If you want to deepen the general knowledge about what the 3D terminology means and stuff its good, but its certainly dated and also suffers from “this method can only do sci-fi panels” syndrom.

2 Likes

What I would recomment for anyone who wants to model professionally is to understand concepts, theories and terminology so well that you can watch tutorials from other softwares and apply it to Blender.

What Blender community lacks is industry veterans and actual professionals with experience in studios. While they exist of course, thing is Blender basically came alive in 2019, we are all new here and paving a way.

Other softwares like Maya have guys who started doing modeling and teaching modeling some 20 years ago and have seen progressions, good and bad, have seen what studios require, what kind of portfolios work and etc.

Especially for modeling they have understanding of topology they got from universities and courses provided inside studios. There were no youtube tutorials sponsored by SquaredSpace back then. That knowledge is useful anywhere and like it or not if you want to “make it big” you need it.

6 Likes

Arrimus3D had really weird moment with deleting all his videos (also everything related to Blender because he’s now sponsored by Autodesk), uploading weird religious stuff, but his subd knowledge can be valuable

If your idea is just one object, that is no problem.
That is rarely the case.

A scene is generally multiple objects. And to render scene fast and properly for an illustration, a game or an animation ; you want each model to be optimized to consume less memory.
The way to obtain that result, is to search for the perfect trade off ; between polycount and desired shape precision.
The use of texture or the need to have polyloops for animation, may balance this trade off, differently.

But invisible superfluous edges loops, bevels and interior faces are unnecessary data, that are increasing memory consumption and model complexity, for no reason.
If you accumulate them, in all objects of the scene ; you will end up with bad performance for no benefit, maybe rendering artefacts, animation issues, 3D printing issues and the inability to solve them, because you have been mislead.

Misleading is not helping.

Yes. It seems fast because basically, cleaning part is missing.
But when you see him having issues with modifier stack order, we may have some doubt.
I would prefer extrusions and scaling in Mesh Edit mode, to all those Solidify modifiers.
I would prefer to deal with one object and one Mirror modifier.

Blender is 30 years old. There are veterans, remembering, when Blender booleans were crappy, when there was no Ngon, when there was no selection modes, when there was no undo.
At that time, users were forced to produce efficient models to be able to use them, and they had almost no fast easy path to produce bad ones.
Modeling tutorials, before 2.8, were teaching production ready content.
Basically, learning from a Blender youtube channel, that has more than 5 years of existence, should result in clean models.

To be really really sure, you may ask from a guy, that uses Blender, since more than 12 years, who started to model without Ngons and was avoiding crappy Booleans.

1 Like