I've seen star wars III (no Spoiler)

Only twice a year!? You should be watching it at least 10 or 12 times a year.

Doesn’t sound so funny to me, bieng a republican and Christian. I really hate how you use Christianity as a synonym for the Dark Side. :x

While the topic was brought up, not to start a flame war, but the orignal Star Wars trilogy is highly based upon Christian symbolism. For an example Obi-Wan’s death represents Christ. He died voluntarily to guide Luke. Had he not have done this, Luke would not have become a Jedi, and the Rebels would have been crushed.

I can’t believe that so many people think Revenge was better than the orignal trilogy. Sure it was a huge improvement from I and II, and I enjoyed it, but better than Star Wars?

-Lando

I in no way meant to offend you, and did not mean to say Christianity was the dark side, I guess my wording should have been the misuse of religion is the dark side.

And I don’t really believe anyone should be a democrat or a republic, you shouldn’t narrow your views like that

And personally I don’t agree with Christianity, I think it’s been warped and misused for so long that it is no longer what it originally was. I think before the bible, before religion, before church, there is only faith in god and nothing else.

To me the bible, church and the varied religions have all been corrupted by sinning men.

So read everything, take what you believe is right out of it and follow your heart.

And in the end none of any of what I say matters because each individual does what they must do and what they will do to get thru. And if that means blindly following than so be it what ever makes you happy

And please don’t take anything I say to be offensive Im just expressing my opinion, not meaning to hurt anyone

Oh yeah and Back to Star Wars,
this is how I rate the Star Wars movies 1 being the best 6 being the worst

1. The Empire Strikes Back
  2. Revenge Of The Sith
  3. Return Of The Jedi
  4. A New Hope
  5. Attack Of The Clones
  6. The Phantom Menace

this topic is just asking to be locked :o

Best… movie… ever.

why would it be locked i apologized

What a visual impact!
Great stuff there.

But the story,… o brother… worst story ever.

But the story,… o brother… worst story ever.

Hmm, I don’t really agree here. And the way I see starwars, is as a whole. All the movies toghether are one story after all. I think all of the movies by themselves tell a rather unstructured story, because it’s only a fragment of the hole.

As for acting, and development of the story, I think part 2 is the worst. Especially the scenes where Anikan and Padmé talk about their relationship. It’s just too soapy, if you know what I mean. Part 1 is OK, but not stunning. And I must say, that I enjoyed watching that pod-race :slight_smile:

Let me say this: I haven’t seen it…I don’t want to see it…I already know exactly what to expect…Poor acting, poor dialogue, plot holes galore and special effects just for the sake of special effects…totally pointless %|

Yay! Lets go and watch another george lucas suck-fest! Oooh look at the pretty eye candy and no substance whatsoever…oooh :stuck_out_tongue:

Now that Lord of the rings has shown how an epic is really done, I find the whole Star Wars phenomenon redundant…

I know this is flame bait, but hell, all three of the prequels suck…and you know Im right. Just because the latest movie was better than the last two does not make it a good film – In fact, I think people have gotten so used to George Lucas’s total shoddiness that even an average quality film made by him is considered “outstanding” by the millions of star wars fanboys.

Feel free to flame me back, I can take it :smiley:

Star Wars is not in my list of exceptional movies, but they make for entertainment nonetheless.

George Lucas calls himself a visual filmmaker. That is no exuse for the poor acting sometimes portrayed, but it is an exuse for not using a film as a book, just to tell a story. You might as well just have the script of a movie scrolling over the screen… You’ve got visual and auditive support at your disposal, so why not use it? I for one can really enjoy a movie if it has good sound quality. Take U571, it sucks when watching it on a TV, or on some kind of clown-soundsystem, but the experience is great when playing the sound on a worthy soundsystem. It’s example of a story/experience that can not be conveyed by a book. At least to me…

I know this is flame bait, but hell, all three of the prequels suck…and you know Im right.

Hmm, you seem to know better what I know than myself…

Now that Lord of the rings has shown how an epic is really done, I find the whole Star Wars phenomenon redundant…

Hmm, I’ve only seen part 1. And after [fight] [kill monsters] [pause] [fight] [kill monsters] [pause] [fight] [kill monsters] [pause] [fight] [kill monsters] I was kind of sick of it. When it was about halfway done, I thought: “Pff, this is only half…” And you have to admit, can you think of a more cliché name for something than “mount doom”…?

Feel free to flame me back, I can take it :smiley:

I have a feeling the moderators don’t… I just had to respond.

Right you are. In terms of visualising epic scenes and battles he is something of a genius, there is no doubting that whatsoever. My question is this: Why is he so spectacularly arrogant that he didn’t ask someone with a modicum of intelligence to re-write the frankly laughable dialogue? If you are somebody that is in charge of the overall quality of a movie, surely these are things that should be taken into consideration…not just a total focus on special effects at the expense of the movies soul.

Oh yes. The movie that rewrites history to make the americans look like they won the second world war singlehandedly, don’t get me started on that trash :wink:

You found LOTR to be boring? wow…I suppose some people would so I shouldn’t be as surprised as I actually am. You know the sound quality is second to none :wink:

That’s ok, I guess I just misread it and besides, that’s your opinion.

And I don’t really believe anyone should be a democrat or a republic, you shouldn’t narrow your views like that

Actually, I’m not really a republican. I just tend to lean towards the republican side because they tend to be more religious.

And personally I don’t agree with Christianity, I think it’s been warped and misused for so long that it is no longer what it originally was. I think before the bible, before religion, before church, there is only faith in god and nothing else.

It was warped up and misused for a long time (ex. the Middle Ages) but I think that the Church of Christ is very close to what it was. Just my opinion.

To me the bible, church and the varied religions have all been corrupted by sinning men.

So read everything, take what you believe is right out of it and follow your heart.

I personally believe pretty much all of it, but then again that’s my opinion and I can’t judge yours.

And in the end none of any of what I say matters because each individual does what they must do and what they will do to get thru. And if that means blindly following than so be it what ever makes you happy

So… you think I’m a Christian so I can be happy? Sorry but no.

And please don’t take anything I say to be offensive Im just expressing my opinion, not meaning to hurt anyone

Yes, I respect that you are sharing your opinion, just as I was sharing mine. So everyone please don’t start another religion war.

Oh yeah and Back to Star Wars,
this is how I rate the Star Wars movies 1 being the best 6 being the worst

1. The Empire Strikes Back
  2. Revenge Of The Sith
  3. Return Of The Jedi
  4. A New Hope
  5. Attack Of The Clones
  6. The Phantom Menace

:-? Don’t know exactly what to say about this. I still can’t beleive that someone can think Revenge is better than the originals. But hey, it’s my opinion.

-Lando[/i]

Good for you! I’m glad to see that someone can say that there’s no way revenge can beat the orignals. Revenge didn’t stink (like I and II) and was an enjoyable and exiting movie, but when marched against episodesIV, V, and VI, it doesn’t come close.

-Lando

I think I wrote this in an overly harsh manner…it makes me look like I hate the whole Star Wars series, which I don’t…it’s only the prequels that I have a problem with…4, 5 and 6 are classics…not as good as LOTR, but they are classics :wink:

Right you are. In terms of visualising epic scenes and battles he is something of a genius, there is no doubting that whatsoever. My question is this: Why is he so spectacularly arrogant that he didn’t ask someone with a modicum of intelligence to re-write the frankly laughable dialogue? If you are somebody that is in charge of the overall quality of a movie, surely these are things that should be taken into consideration…not just a total focus on special effects at the expense of the movies soul.

I have to agree with you on that the scripts could have used some polishing-up. As I said before, especially the dialog between Padmé and Anikan is somewhat plastic, unnatural. However, you might say what I always say: “you can’t polish a turd”.

Oh yes. The movie that rewrites history to make the americans look like they won the second world war singlehandedly, don’t get me started on that trash :wink:

As I said, it’s the experience of being a submariner. I don’t like the hero-music and the pro-american attitude either.

For the story, you’d have to take Das Boot as a submarine movie. And of course, with the orignal German sountrack.

You found LOTR to be boring? wow…I suppose some people would so I shouldn’t be as surprised as I actually am.

Those who’ve red the book told me that my opinion is not that strange or unusual. They say that you almost can only really like the film when you’ve read the books.

You know the sound quality is second to none :wink:

I think I’ll have to see/hear it again to really say something about this. But of course realise that a good sound quality is more than just a lot of bass.

I think I wrote this in an overly harsh manner…it makes me look like I hate the whole Star Wars series, which I don’t…it’s only the prequels that I have a problem with…4, 5 and 6 are classics…not as good as LOTR, but they are classics :wink:

I’m starting on 4, 5 and 6 tonight, beginning with 4. It’s been a while since I’ve seen them, so I’m quite eager.

And doesn’t something have to be old before it can be a classic…? Perhaps in 25 years, ep 1, 2 and 3 are classics too…

Are you sure we saw the same movie?

(some little spoilers of the same size as a trailer)

Okay:

“Rd move the lift” “No idiot Up not Down!” What is that all about? Isn’t the movie long enough for this nonsens.
There’s more of this nonsens:
Darth and Obi fight, then a lava scooping drooid flies into view.
“Euh,… hello,” “Yes hello, we are in a battle here” “Euh, okay”… fight continues. What is that planet for anyway? Lava scooping?
Look I really like starwars, it has that nice Jack Vance feeling of aliens. (Hmmm, how did patme get pregnant when Anakin was on the war front for 2 years?). Far more free than thoose trekkies, who are more a.c.clark in my view. And the best movie of that free spirit and pirating is what we now call episode IV (please spare me the marketing brainwash that it’s a whole sequal story, who is it about then? The councelar? He is in all the episodes!)

I was very disappointed that I still have no clue as to what the dark side is.
Purple vingertips! Well I knew that from ep6. I real shame that there is no added story, not even an added alien race (I think Lucas chickend out after the JarJar debacle). Now we still don’t know why there is only one Yoda. O we now know where Luke and Leia come from, but we already did!

If you are going to watch the 6 episodes back to back then this episode is going to be pretty stuppid, I think.

Now didn’t this clone sample have a son? He becomes a bounty hunter, but does not get any special treatment from Darth? Weird.

Some more “farce” story holes:
The force does not work truw glas or something? Why doesn’t Obi do his hand trick when the droids are eating his spaceship? (someone liked the matrix a bit to much here, hole drilling droids that cut wires?)
And if it doesn’t work truw glass, why is there so little of it (glass)?

Now I’m totally confused about the number of droids we have here and the number of them in New Hope. There is no reason to assume they all broke down in the time to come. And what happend to all the clones? I’m confussed.

Hahaha: “And erase his memory…” Why?.. well it would be a continuty error if he ended up with Luke SKYWALKER and that didn’t ring a bell, so: “erase his memory”, not that it adds anything to the story, or adds anything at all, but Lucas just don’t wants emails on why C3PO keeps his mouth shut in the previous movies (yeah yeah, 4,5 & 6, I know).

Again, I think it’s a shame Lucas just went thruw his list:

1. Must think of reason why Anakin moves to the dark side: Check
  2. Explain dark side: Hmm.
  3. Swap light sabers: Check
    (haha, topic says “no spoilers” so I’m not going to tell how ‘smart’ that was solved: enjoy!)
  4. Obi & Lando & Yoda: Check (make sure Yoda is on far planet)
  5. Luke & Leia: Check
  6. Black mask: Yep
  7. Stripe #2, People did not like virus in blood idea of the force: Check

But,… Images Are Incredible (except for weird motion blur) !
The landscapes are totaly exceptable. So is Yoda. And all other digital stuff.
All very very well done. Nowhere there is a reason to start thinking it’s an animation movie when for certain large parts are 100% virtual.
And the acting is far better than in ep2. The crazy things they say are from the louzy script, not the actors.

O well, great fun. Well worth the money. Good piece of entertainment for only 5 euro ( That’s the same as the 2 beers cost ).
Well done Lucas! It’s finished, you’re rich, now make some good movies!

(There are spoilers in my post)

“Rd move the lift” “No idiot Up not Down!” What is that all about? Isn’t the movie long enough for this nonsens.

I found the corny jokes in the beginning somewhat unnecessary as well. It could have done without.

(Hmmm, how did patme get pregnant when Anakin was on the war front for 2 years?)

I missed the bit that he was away for 2 years. What I wonder about, is that Padmé doesn’t look 9 months pregnant at the beginning of the movie, but still she gave birth at the end.

BTW: dang, I forgot to check the pants-thing on the lava-planet, where Padmé suddenly has pants on.

And the best movie of that free spirit and pirating is what we now call episode IV (please spare me the marketing brainwash that it’s a whole sequal story, who is it about then? The councelar? He is in all the episodes!)

Should it be about someone in particular? Not in my opinion.

And BTW, it’s a chansellor. A councelar/counselor is Star Trek… :slight_smile:

Now didn’t this clone sample have a son? He becomes a bounty hunter, but does not get any special treatment from Darth? Weird.

Indeed, Bubba Fett. Why should he get special treatment?

The force does not work truw glas or something? Why doesn’t Obi do his hand trick when the droids are eating his spaceship?

That’s a good question. And why not make loop-da-loops…

Now I’m totally confused about the number of droids we have here and the number of them in New Hope. There is no reason to assume they all broke down in the time to come.

Anikan shut them down, as he was ordered.

And what happend to all the clones? I’m confussed.

The clones are the stormtroopers of 4, 5 and 6. You should have realised this in part 2, when Obi-Wan looks over the army at Kamino, and again at the end.

Hahaha: “And erase his memory…” Why?.. well it would be a continuty error if he ended up with Luke SKYWALKER and that didn’t ring a bell, so: “erase his memory”, not that it adds anything to the story, or adds anything at all, but Lucas just don’t wants emails on why C3PO keeps his mouth shut in the previous movies (yeah yeah, 4,5 & 6, I know).

This was done to protect the existence of the remaining Jedi. I didn’t think it was an exuse for making the storyline correct.

And about the script and your “checklist”. I believe Lucas really had the scripts finished before he started working on part 4. Someone once told me that he started on 4 because the special effects of 1, 2 and 3 were to difficult, but I’m not sure if that’s true.

Edit:

was very disappointed that I still have no clue as to what the dark side is.
Purple vingertips! Well I knew that from ep6.

The dark side is just a more powerful, but dangerous part of the Force.

I don’t think so. LOTR was corny in comparison to Revenge of the Sith.

Don’t tell me you thought 45 minutes of happy crying at the end of Return of The King was not anything but annoying. In fact, I thought the directing of LOTR was overdramatic, and the actual books themselves are not even as great of a story as the Star Wars Saga.

The first three Star Wars were similar for sure, as they had much the same themes. But the conversion of Anakin to the dark side was a very deep, and very satisfying story to watch and be told, and well beyond the simplistic good vs evil theme of the LOTR books.

RE: politics

‘‘In terms of evil, one of the original concepts was how does a democracy turn itself into a dictatorship,’’ Lucas told a news conference at Cannes, where his final episode had its world premiere.

''The parallels between what we did in Vietnam and what we’re doing in Iraq now are unbelievable.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2005-05-15-cannes-lucas_x.htm

Is more on what he thinks. In a nutshell, he says the paralells only exist because the histories of democracies repeat themselves. They eventually slide into a dictatorship.

But the conversion of Anakin to the dark side was a very deep, and very satisfying story to watch and be told, and well beyond the simplistic good vs evil theme of the LOTR books.

Exactly. The depth of how Anikan turned dark versus the simple “pure evil” and “lawfully good” of LOTR is much more interesting, and possible to relate to. As said before in this thread, it deals with the old “power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely”. The way Palpetine speaks about power in part 3 is very true.

Anyway, I’ve just watched episode 4. Those who think it’s much better than 1, 2 or 3, explain to me why. There’s not a whole lot of explaining of the story, or any charachter development, but there is a whole bunch of effects.

I’ve also watched it with the audio commentary. He says that when he wrote the first movie, being episode 4, it was the initial plan to make it one movie, but because it got so long, he decided to split it up and hope he could do sequals. He also explicitly states that he didn’t write ep 1, 2 or 3 before he started work on 4, those were added later. What came before ep 4 was kept vague, or considered familiair. He called it ep 4 to indicate that you would be placed in the middle of a story. However, in the commentary at the endtitles, he did say he had ideas about planets he wanted to visit, environments to show, but which could not have been done with the visual effects technology available at that time. So he’s rather vague as to when he decided to include part 1-3 in the saga, and sometimes contradicts himself a bit. Or perhaps I just don’t speak Lucasian…

edit:

A quote from the artible NeOmega posted:

“This was written during the Vietnam War and Nixon era, when the issue was how a democracy turns itself over to a dictator — not how a dictator takes over a democracy,” he said.

So he did write episode 3 a long time ago? I’m very confused.

He was talking about episodes 4 5 and 6.

The article explains in a bit more detail, allthough I read another on the day the film opened, in which Lucas talked a bit about how Saddam was our ally, when he was writing the first Star Wars.