Japan old alley

Based on an alley in Kyoto. Everything else except the plants is modeled in Blender 2.83. Some large or important objects (ground, wooden sign, wooden wall, lamp, etc) are textured in Substance painter, while others are usually either texture from cc0textures.com and textures.com, or custom made textures in Photoshop, or are just made from blender’s procedural textures (the yellow walls for example). Color grading and audios are added in Premiere pro. This is rendered at 64 samples also with intel denoiser :slight_smile:

Besides, I have written 2 little posts on wall and water puddle shaders as well as the day night cycle in here and here

My Artstation post

The scene is now available on CGTrader as well :slight_smile:

Clay renders:

Gif of my progress:
progress smaller size

And a Blender screenshot:

284 Likes

Awesome work!

2 Likes

Very very nice, thats awsume. The animation is great… if it was mine, only thing i would change is how much and how long the wind hits that tree… going alittle cazy to me :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is absolutely beautiful !! :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:
Amazing work !!!

1 Like

These look gorgeous! Clay renders are so sexy :blush:

Only downside I can tell is white lights seem a bit blown out in some renders that we can’t see the text/characters.

1 Like

The lighting values are really well done how did you acheive them was it just by eye or physical values.

1 Like

amazing love thre season cycles

1 Like

The video is very inspiring - I had never thought of using a video to show the progress over a day like that in a 3D render. I like the lighting and the mood in the evening hours - I’ve been to this area in Kyoto and this feels spot on accurate. Beautiful!

1 Like

Thx! It’s just by eye, the strength for the sun is around 50 at noon for example. Though for the colors it’s based on real color temperature, I used the blackbody node for all lights, the sun around 5200K at noon, and around 2250K at sunrise and dawn, while the signs are at 6500K, and lamps at around 2500K. I used the photographer addon also for the camera settings.

2 Likes

Excellent work!

2 Likes

This is so beatiful! All the details and all the renders are stunning!

1 Like

That’s really, really, I mean… reeeaaally awesome. It’s fun, because I’ve just spent the last two weeks modeling a japanese street too! And mine now looks shabby in comparison :smiley: The lighting is top notch and the atmosphere is so lively and realist that I could almost walk into it. Bravo.

1 Like

Hats Off. Incrdible animation and feel.

Love it.

1 Like

Outstanding and extensive work!

So do you just adjust light strength or do you play with exposure also?

And what is your workflow for choosing material look, especially values of diffuse maps.
Mine sometimes feel they do not match and are all over the place.

Thx! I just adjust the light strength and the exposure is fixed. For the material look, I usually just look at the reference photos and finds a suitable pbr material for that. I used color ramp or math multiply nodes to adjust the roughness, and the hue/saturation node, gamma node and color ramp to adjust the color if they don’t look right. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Uh oh what… This is truly outstanding work. I know that Blender splash is landscape and this is portrait but this should be on the splash of the next version of Blender. Stunning!

1 Like

Amazing! Seen your progress on reddit, and it’s turned out incredible! Good job mate!

1 Like

Yes, I think this is better. I use exposure + light strength to mimic photographic workflow but it just isn’t practical, because material preview becomes unusable and some passes like AO are not good. Blender should fix that. Btw. if you use hdri, do you desaturate the light?

Do you use passes for compositing or you just do basic color grading at the end?

1 Like

so cool no words :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

1 Like

It looks just amazing! Especially I love these morning rain shots. Fabulous :slight_smile:

1 Like