Just another sculptris sculpt - macho monkey

Seriously, Family Guy’s really half assed -characters constantly at 3/4ths angle, and like… 4 frames to talk and barely any tweening. The Simpsons at least knows how to be funny and not stab anyone. -doesn’t need to be mean to anyone be funny. Family guy just tosses the golden rule out of the window along with it’s er… animation effort. They ditched Futurama for this? shakes head sad. -I’m still waiting for the animation of this character btw :smiley:

What makes you think those who are complaining are doing it on behalf of someone else? :confused:

Comparing this to Family Guy - still waiting for the punchline. :spin:

@OP

There is a noticeable seem in the forearm.

You’ve misspelt “seam”.

Hey guys, please try to keep political discussion out of the thread… it would be a shame if I was forced to lock it.

Why would you do that? Because tmcthree likes racist jokes? Surely, discussion of this nature was a given when accepting this item into the gallery. I’ve seen controversial/racist artwork in galleries on other sites - with 30 or more pages on the “morality” of the issue. If you’re gonna silence discussion on it, should it be in the gallery? I know this piece was just made as a jest, but there is deeper meaning to it. Especially when you look at the source of inspiration as compared to the artist’s final product :wink: , and the variety of comments it has received.

@tmcthree

I saw what you typed. I get why you typed it. Hell of punchline… back when I was in high school.

Feel free to spell-check this for me, as well, if you like, though. :yes:

Er, I don’t know why my text has been edited, and I can only vaguely remember what I put.
I think I objected to vicarious offence. After which you indicated that you were not offended vicariously, implying that you yourself are black. I then said that I would bet that most of the people objecting to this thread are not black. This reply was then edited. I’m not sure why and I’m not sure what you mean by your response.

I’ll finish by saying that the pertinent fact is not that I like racist jokes, its that I like jokes, racist and otherwise.

I can’t speak for the artist but if you are black and it has offended you then this is very regrettable. But I doubt the intention of the artist was to offend, and, lacking intention, its a well executed piece of art pointing fun at the vacuous obsession with gold and jewellery which seems to pervade hip hop culture.

On reflection perhaps there may be unfortunate historical connotations however as one of the major hip hop collectives refer to themselves as Gorilla-Unit, hip hop culture itself seems to have moved on.

I shall now leave this thread alone in case the moderator closes it, depriving others of the chance to quiz the artist on his techniques.

I would ask the moderator that, if at all possible, he leave this post unedited. I believe it has been implied that I am racist and as such I think it proper that I should be afforded the right of reply.

I’m not sure why and I’m not sure what you mean by your response.

I’d quote it, but it’s probably “part” of the many reason the mod threatened to lock the topic.

In reflection perhaps there may be unfortunate historical connotations however as one of the major hip hop collectives refer to themselves as Gorilla-Unit, hip hop culture itself seems to have moved on.

“You know what G-Unit stands for? Guerrilla Unit as in warfare…" – 50 Cent.

I believe it has been implied that I am racist and as such I think it proper that I should be afforded the right of reply.

The implication was not that you are racist, but that you are immature, hence the “back when I was in high school” - A joke of my own.

BURRNNNN!!!

The only offensive part of this thread is the plethora of comments that imply that the piece is in no way racist. As funny as it is, it is also racist.* Intentional or not, making caricatures of others cultures will be interpreted as racist. Watch any of the banned Warner Brothers cartoons and you’ll see what I mean.

*the art itself; making no criticism about the person who created it - just look at Seth MacFarlane.

tmcthree, I know that you’re a good artist and your busting on me was just you trying to make light of the situation. I watch family guy as well. :smiley:

Fist bumps?

Ropsta, you are completely wrong about:
“Intentional or not, making caricatures of others cultures will be interpreted as racist. Watch any of the banned Warner Brothers cartoons and you’ll see what I mean.”
In this piece I was making caricature of human character (macho)- not just form one culture. When I post piece like this, I expect you to see some decent anotomy, shading etc. But I feel like you think - he says character of “all human” so also black ones - so he must be racist. If you didn’t divide people by skin color, but by character, there would be no this discussion because there would not be question about ‘color of monkey’.
Moderator, pls just lock this thread.

Why lock a good thread? Just temp ban these idiots that persist with this witch hunt. Back in the day the mods were more liberal with their bans, that was a great era.

Your work is awesome JoseConseco. I think your second image should be in the first post. Don’t see why this thread has only 4 stars. 5 stars from me.

Can some mod with a sense of humour ban this guy please?

nice job, although he doesn’t seem that ripped or jacked or muscular, pretty cool model though!

wow! really nice.
so we can live without zb somehow :slight_smile:

The sculpting is excellent.

I just feel a little ‘robbed’ of the full visual experience by the depth of field defocus.
The subject looks too seperated into head/hand/hand and makes my eyes jump around the picture too much. I feel ‘robbed’ because I cannot see more of the detail that you have obviously spent a great deal of time over.

It may be an idea, (though this is only an opinion), to reduce the DoF slightly.

Other than this. Great job!

Hope to see more of your work.

Wow that Sculptris texture tutorial you posted on the bottom of page one just made my day :smiley:
Epic monkey too.

nice! could be “brink” (splashdamage game) character :wink:

pretty nice . though a little blocky

Nice work. I understand the words of the so-called “witch hunters” and they have the right to express their feelings, IMO. But if the subject may be well chosen, the work looks great so far, technically speaking.

I have to agree with roofoo. This is obviously an insulting and racist caricature.

Just make the monkey a Republican then it wont be considered racist since
George Bush was called a Monkey for 8 years and nobody complained.
If the NAACP had any credibility about humans be compared to animals
(like how the Nazi’s compared the Jew’s to rats)
then they should have spoke up when Bush was subject to it for years by liberal Democrats
the media and Hollywood.