Just installed Vista...

The first law of the universe is that as soon as an operating system is mentioned by anyone, anywhere, everyone will start screaming about which one is better.

I know that XGL did not intend to support Dapper

Dapper didn’t intend to support XGL, XGL was designed to support systems that used X11 & OpenGL. This means Linux but it can also mean other systems like FreeBSD. So this doesnt mean XGL was set up to specifically run using any version of Linux straight away.

Jesus, linux and osx people, gtfo my threadz kthx

Don’t worry, VK.
Over here they just say “You use windows? ha! [name of other OS] is waaay better! to hell with capitalistic microsoft!”
If you say something to a fundamentalistic [insert religion] he doesn’t like, he kills you, your family and possibly your entire town.

Woo were on to religion now. I see a locking.

Does Vista Defrag on the go or do you still have to tell it to Defrag yourself?

Not sure. A constantly defragging OS sounds like there could be problems.

in ReleaseCandidate2, vista defrags on a schedule. However, you can still force a defrag whenever you feel like it.

What kind of scheduling?

Like it will do an entire defrag once every week schedule or it will defrag when the computer is idle kind of schedule?

valarking, i completely 100% support you on everything :smiley:

Probably, OS X takes up that much too. It’s not the system though but the applications bundled with it that take up the most. The system itself is only about 1.5GB.

Of course but it’s just that Microsoft always seem to be doing something new when someone else does it first. For example, Nintendo were innovators of the gaming systems and along came Sony with their own innovations and then Microsoft with absolutely nothing new. Possibly Xbox live but not really.

Can you imagine if Microsoft took over completely. The entire industry would go stale. As someone once said, Microsoft may own 95% of the boat but Apple own the rudder.

That would happen if Microsoft released them first. It’s about timing not market share or caring enough.

No you wouldn’t, just like you wouldn’t like it if you studied incredibly hard for an exam and someone sat beside you and copied you and got the same grade.

There it comes down to resources though and if anything, that’s one thing that one of the biggest companies in the world has bucket loads of. But, I could pay a thousand technicians to draw a picture and there’s no gaurantee that they can make an image that people will want to buy unless of course they find a way to technically copy the work of a single talented artist.

Jesus is here too. :eek:

Ok, ok, this thread is about Vista so lets bring it back 'cos I’d actually like to hear more about how it really runs from someone I trust (well valarking anyway ;)) rather than the reviews that people post online, which are almost always biased or incomplete or whatever.

Things I want to know are:

• what version of Vista are you using, RC1?
  • what version will you be getting and why, home, pro, ultimate etc
  • how long did it take to install and setup
  • how much space does it use
  • what apps are bundled with the system
  • how does your computer hardware rank on the meter thing that says how well it should run Vista
  • what hardware do you have and how smooth is Aero when doing complex things
  • what features do you think are best and worst
  • is it worth upgrading from XP. Why or why not
  • what antivirus protection is there
  • how does it handle multiple logins, XP systems I’ve tried slow way down when you have multiple users
  • does it have resolution independence i.e a vectorized interface that can be zoomed without losing quality
  • have you tried readyboost
  • how does blender run on it
  • how is performance in general
  • does all your software work properly, any that need updating
  • IE7 vs Firefox
  • do you have system-wide font anti-aliasing, it sort of looks like it from screenshots

Here’s someone else’s opinion of the best and worst features:

Not really. :smiley:

Of course it doesn’t defrag everything or there would be problems but files under about 20MB or so. Plus fragmented drive space doesn’t slow it down. It can however prevent dynamic Bootcamp partitioning because it needs to allocate a contiguous amount of space.

1. Yes, RC1.
  2. Ultimate. It has all the stuff and I got it kinda cheap. shifty eyes
  3. About 30 minutes.
  4. Not really sure since I did a format over my old WinXP. Should be what MS tells you though…
  5. A cooler version of Solitaire!!! Just kidding (but maybe not…), it comes with a bunch of multimedia stuff. Image viewing, CD burning, etc. I don’t really care much, as I tend to use mainly specialized 3rd party apps for those purposes. It also comes with Windows Firewall and Antivirus. I haven’t yet, but as soon as I’m sure they’re Vista-ready, I’m going to be putting Zonealarm and Norton Antivirus back on.
  6. 2.4 :frowning: That’s right below medium. The bottle neck is my memory, I only have 512mb. The rest of my stuff is around 5.6-6 or so.
  7. Geforce 6800 I believe, and Aero is doing just fine. I didn’t notice a performance hit when I turned it on.
  8. Best - Everything looks more attractive. As silly as that sounds, it does make it more enjoyable to use. The system feels more secure, it won’t let big changes happen without getting your permission. Plug-and-play hardware support is also really good, as it has been able to get all my drivers using its own service. And, having used both WinXP’s and OSX’s interfaces extensively, I can safely say that Vista’s has them both beat.
    Worst - I did a format install so I have to reinstall all my stuff. :frowning: Sometimes the OS is so secure and cautious that it feels like a nanny. My web browsers don’t seem to scroll as smoothly. :?
  9. Yes. In the future when tons of things are Vista-only (unfortunately, not so far away), I’ll be ready.
  10. Like I mentioned, it comes with a bundled virus protection program. I don’t know how powerful it is, though.
  11. Can’t say, as I haven’t had more than one account.
  12. Again, not sure. I don’t think so though.
  13. Nope.
  14. Seems really slow. =/
  15. Very little difference from XP.
  16. Nope, everything is working fine so far.
  17. Still Firefox. IE7’s interface fits in a little more now, but I still love my 10+ Firefox extensions.
  18. Yes.

edit:
Oh, and FUCK USER ACCOUNT CONTROL, (UAC), maaaan this thing is annoying…

Personally I have used Linux exclusively for nearly 9 years now. There seems to be a lot of information on various OS’s that perhaps need a bit more research and/or thought.

Why the hell would I use linux, honestly? I have absolutely no need for workspaces and superintensive effects and I don’t want to deal with the shitty compatibility because everyone else uses Windows.

I can use it, infact my computer used to be dual-boot until I decided that there was no point to having Linux.

I find multiple workspaces an invlauable tool for managing my workflow. Consider the fact that in Blender you can setup multiple screens and then cycle through them with CTRl-=> and CTRL-<=. I currently use multiple screens for 1-Modeling, 2-Materials, 3-Animation, 4-Sequence, 5-Scripting, 6-GameEngine, and 7-Outliner/Data Browse. This workflow is good for me and I do not need to change the window type in the header ar keep splitting and joining windows to get at the current toolset.

If you apply this concept to multiple workspaces in your window manager one can see where this may be a benefit. In the end though is really is about choice and how an individual works. Remember your OS is only a tool to operate your hardware.

As for compatibility this mostly boils down to file formats.

You wouldn’t. It’s only good for people who know how to use it, or have the time to learn it

I could not disagree more. You must have a valid reason for wanting to use linux or anyother OS. The reason the majority of people use Windows is because that what comes “Out of the Box”. The only time one would switch is because their current OS is not fufilling an important need. In my case I switched to Linux because it gave me control over every aspect of my computer system and the software. Back when Win95 as Win98 would BSOD and spit out garbage exception errors it was very difficult to determine the cause.

With Linux I had the source code to investigate the issues further IF I CHOSE TO. Again we are back at choice based of fufilling a need. I needed to fix my hardware/software issues and a closed source system like Windows did not allow for that.

I think this is the biggest problem of the Linux. There is no EASY way to install programs. You need to download a lot of dependencies to make something work. … In Linux, you need to compile the source.

This may have been true a number of years ago but not it is a non issue. I run a version of Linux called Gentoo. This distribution and many other modern distros provide comprehensive tools to resolve this issue.

To install Blender I issue a command:

emerge blender

All the dependencies are handled, all software is downloaded and the program is compiled and installed.

One last thing when using Linux it is my personal belief that you SHOULD compile your software from source. Again this is my choice based on my needs. Besides if you ever wondered why after one or two Windows “Upgrades” you system grinds to a halt, try compiling your programs source and this problem is reduced by a magnitude of 10 or more. Prebuilt binaries typically try to cover all the bases with respect to hardware configurations and may not be tuned for your system.

Linux is a royal pain in the butt when it comes to supporting hardwared.

I bought a brand new shiny laptop and all my hardware is supported. If you are familiar with linux, installing your favorite distro onto a new laptop was once one of the most daunting tasks.

And finally to wrap this up, many of the posts were nitpicking the look and feel of Windows and OSX and yet with Linux and more importantly Open Source you can take the time to change any aspect of the source code and solve any issue you need. Again this is something you choose to do and something you must want to do.

I personally know that I can get all my work done using any of the main OS’s. Wether it is Windows, OSX, or Linux these are just tools. You choose your tools based on need and personal preference. It’s not what is right for all but what is right for you.

All in all I hope everyone enjoies their OS’s and specifically I know valarking prefers Windows and it’s new version Vista. And if I may borrow a quote from you and modify it slightly, “My computer used to be dual-boot until I decided that there was no point to having Windows.”

Your computer, your OS, your choice, enjoy.

regards,

honeycomb

…?

In order to use that “Open Source Code” to fix your “software problems” you need to have at least a general knowledge of programming (enough to modify and compile the code on linux), in addition to knowing your system and weather or not it hosts all the dependencies that are relevant to the application, and not to mention several other things.

So, with that said, I fail to see the validity of your argument in contrast to my own.

Yes, but his entire argument is based around the (universal truth?) that an OS is designed to fulfill a requirement, and seeing as he is a programmer his requirements will be different to a non-programmer. If honeycomb has a hardware problem, he can take a look at the code and try to fix is (as he has programming skills). If I (as a windows user) have a problem, even though I can program I still cant do anything more than bitch at the customer support staff because the source is closed.

QFT

Benstabler is fairly accurate in his response. I know that sometimes when quoting it is common to interpret the response as exclusive to the quote. In the case of my post I intended the quotes to be interpreted in context with my entire response. Perhaps I should look into formatting my messages differently.

Look at each of these variations on your statement and you decide which is best:

1. Windows is only good for people who know how to use it, or have the time to learn it.
  2. OSX is only good for people who know how to use it, or have the time to learn it.
  3. Linux is only good for people who know how to use it, or have the time to learn it.

Before I started using computers I did not know how to use any OS. One might say that I was forced to take the time and learn how to use Windows because it was pre-installed and I did not have knowledge of an alternative.

Now that I know better I was able to make a choice based on my needs. Over the last 9 years I have installed many distributions of Linux and each time my needs have changed. I would never consider going back to Red Hat or SUSE because they are no longer the right choice for me.

In a similar fashion I would never switch to Windows because based on my need understand and/or solve various software/hardware issues they are the most restrictive. This may be the only part of my post that is relevent to this thread.

Funny thing is that with OSX being based on a FreeBSD (I believe) kernel I find OSX interesting, as many of the *nix tools are now available on it.

If you have time, Social, I would like to know what needs drove your decision to switch to Linux? Are you dual-booting? I understand you are quite happy with it. Again the choice of an OS is one based on need. If an OS works for an individual, whatever his needs are, it doesn’t matter what flavor it is.

Perhaps I should add a bit more on topic content here as pose this question:

valarking and anyother individual looking to install or who has already installed Windows Vista. What need is not being met by your current Windows version which drove you to upgrade to Vista.

Here is what I understand so far:

-“Everything looks more attractive.”
So eye-candy is important? I typically do not notice the window decoration or icons unless I am doing no work and just staring at the desktop.
-“The system feels more secure.”
Emotional needs are very powerful decision makers. Do you know if your system is really more secure? Again my personal need is to be able to understand security at a level where I can investigate the source code and to the best of my ability, KNOW, it is secure. Trust me, my milage does vary in this department.
-“It has been able to get all my drivers using its own service.”
Was there driver issues with WinXP or is it simply the convienience of the service.
-“In the future when tons of things are Vista-only, I’ll be ready.”
Peace of Mind and Return on Investment are also strong decision makers. In a strange fashion Windows is forcing you needs here by moving things to “Vista-only”. This IMHO is a false Peace of Mind. You could consider that you are reducing your ROI based on the following statements.
“I tend to use mainly specialized 3rd party apps” – why upgrade your OS
“2.4 That’s right below medium. The rest of my stuff is around 5.6-6 or so.” - I can only assume on a scale of 1 to 10 you are settling for the middle? But then if 2.4 is just below middle the it’s 1 to 5.
“Blender seems really slow” - OUCH!!

What exactly do you mean by “best”? If you are reffering to which statement is the most valid, the answer is: they are all valid. You need to know how to use the operating system in question, in order to use it to your benefit. That is true with any OS.

Linux however is the most demanding in this trinity.

Windows ran everything I needed. Vim, MinGW, Blender, Flash, etc. I didn’t really have a need per se (unless you clasiffy curiosity as a need), I was simply curious.

Now that I ran linux for sometime, I like:

• That it’s free
  • On the cutting edge
  • And advancing fastSo now I just can’t see myself paying for Vista when I have Linux around.

It would be like trading down, and as a rule, I don’t do that.

Wow, it’s not a scale between 1 to 10 where 5 is average, 1 is godawful and 9 is great you fucking moron.

Honestly, I chose to upgrade because I felt like it. Why the fuck should I have the justify myself to you?

And I couldn’t care less about Blender being slow.

Anyway, I wish theeth would just lock this thread to stem to flow of argumentative e-pricks.
You guys, IT DOESN’T MATTER.
If using Linux makes your penis feel bigger, then go for it.

Social is making the most sense in this thread. If I had any use for Linux, I would be with him.

There are several forces driving windows support.

• Marketing scrambles people’s brains.
  • The more ignorant people think a PC is Windows.
  • People never want to hear about a better way of doing things once they have put effort and time into doing something in an inferior manner. Windows is learnt first.
  • Many people don’t understand that free software can also be superior quality software.
  • Sony recommend XP. Dell recommends XP (though that is changing a little).
    HP recommend XP. Microsoft Hotmail servers run Linux.

Because of the above, Microsoft has a monopoly which means that Linux does have disadvantages only because the linux market is too small to cater for.

• Less than perfect driver support.
  • Little gaming support.
  • Too much variety (though some is needed)

The strange thing is how marketing incorporates itself into the OS - that is Aero. And Vista is all about Aero - all the good features were dropped or have long been available on linux. It is an old trick of repackaging an old product to produce consumer satisfaction. “Out of the box” OEM installation of Microsoft products coupled with laziness and apathy keep Microsoft alive.

By the way, did you know that people on average prefer the taste of Pepsi over that of Coca Cola? Only when people know what they are drinking does this trend “swap”. Such is the power of brand and marketing.

Just thought you should know.

Koba

P.S> Oh and starting a Vista based thread was a bad idea - this is a Blender forum and Linux support will be strong here. Till Linux takes over there will always be arguments between the converted and Microsoft fanboys kicking and screaming - that is why I’m all for locking this thread.

The strange thing is how marketing incorporates itself into the OS - that is Aero. And Vista is all about Aero - all the good features were dropped or have long been available on linux. It is an old trick of repackaging an old product to produce consumer satisfaction. “Out of the box” OEM installation of Microsoft products coupled with laziness and apathy keep Microsoft alive.

When did you install it?
Just curious because you speak as if you’ve fully explored it for yourself.

By the way, did you know that people on average prefer the taste of Pepsi over that of Coca Cola? Only when people know what they are drinking does this trend “swap”. Such is the power of brand and marketing.

WTF I can eaaaaasily tell the difference. It helps that I drink loads of the stuff, but I can tell instantly which is which.

P.S> Oh and starting a Vista based thread was a bad idea - this is a Blender forum and Linux support will be strong here. Till Linux takes over there will always be arguments between the converted and Microsoft fanboys kicking and screaming - that is why I’m all for locking this thread.

Well next time I’ll consult with you before I start any treads that might hurt anyone’s feelings. :rolleyes: Until, please keep your wisdom out of my thread kthx.

too much ignorance itt

WTF I can eaaaaasily tell the difference. It helps that I drink loads of the stuff, but I can tell instantly which is which.

What he was trying to point out Valarking is that even tho most people prefer Pepsi over Cola(from statistics), Cola is still the most popular soft drink. And thats mainly becuase of marketing telling you to buy Cola.

too much ignorance itt
I hope you include yourself in that staement. :slight_smile: