JWC's Sketchbook

Cover Image

Hi all @minamookevlar and @piranha4D encouraged me to create a sketchbook, so I decided to try to do so, I will try to post as often as possible, but I don’t have much time to do blender, so it won’t be that frequent.

P.S. Any and all feedback is welcomed

14 Likes

My first work is one I have worked on for some time, I tried to dabble with texture nodes and more complex animations

1 Like

Here are some workshop renders I have done of the animations so my computer doesn’t explode:

5 Likes

Here is a single frame from an animation I made of a Mars-like planet turning into a volcanic planet with a lot of lava flow, I would really like to render it, but it is out of the realm of plausibility because I calculated the numbers for rendering it in eevee and it would take 40 hours, so that isn’t happening soon, but it is cool watching it in viewport at 5 fps.

2 Likes

Also, I know I also have done the abrams, but that will have it’s own topic.

Yay, Sketchbook! Welcome! :tada:

I feel your pain when it comes to animations because my computer is a genuine A1 Potato.

3 Likes

well, since I pissed off my parents, I don’t have one, except for a literal 2015 Chromebook my school issued me, and I have tried way to hard to get blender on here, but it just doesn’t work :frowning_face: :cry:

2 Likes

also my parents need to do better at hiding things, cuz I know where it is, but I am not using it to be good.

2 Likes

Welcome to the Sketchbooks! :smile:

Cool render. I really enjoy the semi-organic feel of the textures on the ship, especially with the glow dots that look like eyes. Did you do the stars in Blender, or is it an image composited in for the background?

How many frames?
Such is the down side of 3d Animation. The animation scene I’m working on right now (Cycles) has been going for 50 some hours, and it’s only about 2/3s done. It helps me (mentally, not in terms of actual speed) to think of it in terms of frame speed, rather than overall time. Say, 70+ hours is a lot overall, but 1-2 minutes a frame’s not bad.

1 Like

I think it is like 500 frames times 6 minutes a frame, so I was incorrect, it would take 50 hrs to render and the background is made through a node setup, and when the camera is parented to the ship (it isn’t in any of these renders, but was, I added a texture coordinate to the background, so it looked like the ship was flying past them. and the glow dots just FYI were made from an elongated sphere behind a glass texture in the “cockpit”

1 Like

That’s a fun idea. :slight_smile:

once I get to my blender file, I will take a photo of the node setup for you.

1 Like

Oy. Yeah, being good is probably the best strategy. Let’s hope they calm down about it soon.

I don’t have a Chromebook so I can’t try this, but there seem to be some guides out there. The biggest hurdle might be whether your Chromebook has powerful enough specs. You might have to make do with an older version of Blender, but the first step (if you have the specs) IIRC is to get Linux running.

It might be too much of a pain if your parents are likely to come around soonish.

Hey, happy you’re here!
Excited to see your journey!

1 Like

The only problem is that it is run by my school, so they try to stop students from playing games, so stuff like switching to the linux operating system doesn’t work, but I have a MacBook, so I might look into installing Mac OS on here, but we’ll see, it might not be powerful enough to even run blender, but we’ll see, and also, my school has a computer lab,
with blender, and that is how I got into it, was a class there, so I can skip lunch E.t.c to work on blender, which I do, but I can’t work on it as often as I would like to.

2 Likes

Thanks, thank you for convincing me to do this, I am excited to see where this goes.

1 Like

Too bad you can’t have your own system rn to get used to. Cuz hardware is different from each other, and I bet school stuff ain’t that customizable or high quality. Though I encourage you to stick with what you can work with, as switching later on to a sophisticated state-of-the-art machine will be a magical experience. And, you can get used to a lot of things quicker. This, is most important.

4 Likes

I am lucky in that I go to a very nice private school (spoiled me) so they have pretty nice Mac Desktop machines, that are probably 6 or less y/o so they are, pretty nice, and get the job done.

Also, I am now undergoing the gargantuan task of baking all textures and fixing all the normals on my spaceship to import to unity, It’s kinda sad that unity doesn’t support blender nodes, cuz I did a bunch of work making an exhaust that is animated to the scale of an empty, had a cool effect, and I wanted to use that in unity, but I will have to find another way, any tips for making an exhaust compatible with unity, here is a photo of the exhaust before I overhauled the spaceship, so the spaceship looks different, but the exhaust is the same:

any tips for this, because the other option is to just bake probably like a thousand textures of the exhaust and then link those to certain stages of the forward throttle animation in unity, any tips on how to get around this?

3 Likes

I don’t know much about Unity, I’ve only touched it a few times making mods but that’s it. Does it need to go to Unity? I too didn’t like how my materials transitioned.

1 Like