keKit for Blender (2.8+)

For those of you interested in ways to set this up:
My personal setup uses two different sets of hotkeys, this is within the modal transforms, there are now additional operators (introduced in 2.91 & 2.92). I use shift to constrain to mouse axis movement and tab for planes, for consistency across softwares. These work just like middle mouse button. Unfortunately, precision transform (default keymap = shift) cannot be mapped to different buttons due to a bug (T85383).
Anyway, under “Transform modal map” in the hotkeys (there are redundant F5/6/7 keys for compliance with Max’ hotkeys):

Than for the global modes, note that you can assign a cycle toggle for the modes or a direct hotkey when clicking the buttons:

Although the names suggest “TT Scale/ Move/ Rotate Mode” they actually correspond to the buttons & constraint modes :wink:

@Antony Make sure to uncheck “Hide” so the icons appear on the tool settings at the top left of the viewport.

Additionally, for hotkeys, you can do something like this to have an additional modifier key:

Set a key (that does not invoke another function on its own) in conjuction with another key/ mouse action (e.g. right/ middle clicking) that way you could also opt to change modes.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

@Hologram , Thanks for the post! Really interesting setup! :slight_smile:

Is there a gif / video how the transform thing works? I have no idea or haven’t used before. Very curious. :face_with_monocle::pray:

1 Like

I will try to create video, the idea is not really complicated, but can be confusing in text.
(I’m going to have to cover all the tools though, so it becomes a complicated video to make “simple” ;D )

2 Likes

Well, maybe a bit fast, but I hope it helps (you can always run it slower :wink:

7 Likes

@Kiellog
Hi,
just found that your “Context Extrude” is automatically choose axis without MMB clicking
Is it intendant change? Can it be as earlier, default blender edge extrude with MMB to choose direction?

Yes, but , I will be adding an option in the menu for these to use the TT system, otherwise just default.

1 Like

Hello!

Good news / Bad news:
Good:
-There are some cool new features in the next update (EXR sync viewport and render)

• I finally got around to fixing the “clean” installation process. No more error spam when installing (you still have to restart, probably)

Bad:

• I realized why the enums for various tools were not saved(when re-installing) - this only works if you export your keyconfig, and then re-import it. This will force the enums to be set, otherwise they go to default.
    This is not ideal.

I have reworked the Transform Tool Toggle modes into unique operators, which eliminates the problem. And you have to clean out your old hotkeys and set the new ones.(note: just as a test, not in .410)

To avoid this being an issue in the future, I would have to do this to ALL the operators relying on Enum options for shortcuts (when re-installing) if you ARE importing keyconfigs, you will have remove that file from your user-preset folder to avoid clashing. Which you probably are using, and dont want to do. You will probably have to remove old hotkeys in prefs, set the new ones, and export keyconfig and re-import. You don’t want to do that whole procedure unless migrating to a different blender release.

So…fun times ahead! :frowning: hey, it’s only…half of the tools. Well, the export-reimport trick should work…

EDIT: Hmm, I dont think it is managable, there would be -many times- as many operators. like hundreds.
Export-Import is prob the way to go.
EDIT2:
This will be the recommended procedure for installation:

1. Clean install - the usual zip install
  2. Update - Just overwrite the add-on folder manually.
  3. Migration (or if you must uninstall/remove the add-on for whatever reason: export/import keyconfigs)
4 Likes

That’s a lot of work :frowning_face:

Don’t worry about it, that’s the least we can do

OK, no major changes to the entire kit. Just the update instructions :wink:
Please read!
v1.410 is up! (I should do a video on BG sync, at some point)
EDIT: now v1.411, minor update. (panel reads v1.411b)
EDIT2: now up to .413 with minor updates :wink:
EDIT3: …and .414

https://artbykjell.com/blender.html

7 Likes

Just discovered RenderVisible script. Both this one and BG Sync are really nice features!

Regarding rendering. In Modo when we press the render button it automatically selects next render slot. Kjell, is it possible to create similar in Blender? Now we have to manually change a render slot. And if we forget to do so F12 overwrites the existed one.

Thanks! Regarding the slots; There seems to be some exposed functions for this, so, might be possible. Will investigate, adding to the list :wink:

1 Like

I guess Blender stores rendered images outside the current project file. So it could be handy to use >10 render slots for this by default

Got it working, was pretty trivial after I spent an hour debugging…a typo. :frowning:

reg slot count: the script will handle any amount of slots available.
@Antony
you can add extra slots and save in your startupfile for default. Dont forget to set slot 1 as active tho! :wink:

4 Likes

Is the fix up on gumroad?

Yeah, it happens :frowning:

Thanks for pointing this out! :+1: Didn’t know I could save it there

Slot1- Slot10 with hotkeys 1-0; and Slot11- Slot20 with dbl1- dbl0 sounds like quite nice setup.

not yet, will take the time later today prob.

It looks like Frame All or Selected doesn’t work at UV and Shader Editors(probably with some other like Compositor, Timeline/Graph etc.)
Kjell, is it possible to improve the tool?

1 Like

yes, adding to the to-do list
edit: Investigated, it will become a new operator, needs more general context. not super hard but will take some time, maybe not in the next release Hmm. i might release it anyway, v0.1 will only support viewport tho.
(also, Noticed there was a bug/error in frame all in object mode…whoops(fix in next)

3 Likes

Don’t worry, do it in your own pace :slight_smile:

A bug? Hmm… haven’t noticed anything. Probably too far zoom if a camera or a light are visible in the viewport?