keKit for Blender (2.8+)

@Antony Machin3tools has a Frame All or Frame selected, including stepping further down mirror modifiers and such. Perhaps its worthwile to use that instead? I don’t think @Kiellog would have to reinvent the wheel in this case.

E: Unless there’s something specific that is not in Blender’s default frame tools nor in Machin3tools, that is.

no, its the active vs selected thing. the ops use selected to determine what to frame and I was using active. there is almost always an active, even if it is not ‘selected’, which meant “frame all” did not work as expected. works well in edit mode, as the active/selected is usually the same even if it happens to get ‘unselected’, so I’ll leave edit mode as-is.

A side note regarding ‘extras’ (lights, cameras): I wanted to add an option to exclude them in frame all, but it doesn’t work without very hacky workarounds: just have to turn them off first, like usual)

Yes, I know about that tool. But it had an issue, related, if I remember it correctly, to different behavior in edit/object modes. Probably it’s fixed now. Anyway, I prefer using Kjell’s solution. It works perfectly in general 3D Views, and all we need is extend it on other windows/editors

Ok, I see.

No worries regarding it. While modeling most of the time we work without a light or camera on. I even haven’t noticed it until you said about the bug :grinning:

v1.415 is up!
Tip: I had to look in the menu (no mouse over hint) for cycling which render slot you are viewing: J & Alt-J
https://artbykjell.com/blender.html

3 Likes

Render Image Slot Cycle (NEW)

Thank you so much for adding this feature! And so fast! :partying_face:
Now it’s more “safer” and comfortable to render in Blender.

I would only propose one more thing, if it possible.
Let’s say we rendered first 5 slots. If we switch to the 2nd slot and hit render again, it will overwrite the 3rd one. It would be better if the script put it in an empty 6th slot.

With such a system we can render absolutely undestructively with the new script. And if we want to overwrite any slot, we can use default F12

Thanks! Yes, I agree, so I did spend some time trying to do just that…but i just could not find a way to check whether the slot is already “used” or not. There’s no api-function for it, and no workarounds i could find. edit: Well, except a silly way: the save function will fail (which i can then catch) if the slot is empty, but then it would save the render somewhere everytime it is not…but maybe…)

Hmm…yeah it’s tricky.

What about using images created for each rendered slot? I don’t know where Blender stores them, but probably they have some ID related to the proper slot?

not for the renderslots. there is just one image data block (with no way of telling with the renderslots).
BUT, i just tried writing to NULL (nothing) and that …seems to work :smiley: it lets me know if the slot is occupied, and no files…doing some more testing, but it might just work. ridiculous, but hey, no property exposed so you get crappy workarounds :wink:

edit: It will simply overwrite the last slot over and over if all the slots are full. I think that is safest, wrapping around to the start is prob bad. I could maybe add a prompt at some later point (haven’t done those before)

All is fair in love and war :grin:

Isn’t wrapping around better? I think it’s more important to keep the last render, than -10th. I would vote for the wrapping behavior :wink:

Kiellog, hi! First of all thank you for all your work!
Have a question if it possible to make accessible parameter window (f9) after using maya connect tool?

Render slot cycling action when all Full:
  • Wrap around to 1st slot & write
  • Overwrite last slot
  • No writing (info notice)

0 voters

:wink:

What if users could ‘pin’ slots so these won’t be wrapped/ overwritten?

How does something like Vray do this? I believe it let’s you render on indefinitely and it just increases theslot count in the VFB. Though, I’m not sure since it’s quite a while since I last used it. One day Blender needs a dedicated VFB with renderslots and A/B comparisons.

E: Actually, info notice with a message to clear slots prior to rendering seems more logical, to avoid losing work.
E2: @Kiellog do you think you could optionally add thumbnails to the rendering slots, instead of just showing slot names?

Hey! No, I cant make it work. (will investigate at some point. should def be possible.)

1 Like

E2: I dont know, might be possible, but where? like an extra panel in N-image under renderslots? hmm. would certainly be much better if there was a thumbnail scroller on the bottom …i suspect it would be pretty wonky in the npanel

Yes, it would be nice option. I hope Blender will add it someday…

You can compare it already. Just need to assign every slot at 1,2…0 keys. So pressing 1vs2 or 2vs7 etc.

I think A/B refers to this: https://koenromers.com/cocoen/demo.html
there is some talk about it, but it will be years. probably.
Since you “can” do it in the compositor, it is not high priority, I suspect.

I guess so yeah, maybe with optional small/ medium/ large thumbnails depending on the number of slots to avoid scrolling large distances. It will indeed be a bit wonky since you cannot really make it expand out, oh well. Something like that does work in let’s say, Illustrator/ Photoshop with patterns.
Mind you, I still need to check the render slots additions thusfar.

This is the A/B comparison:

Idn… it looks interesting, modern and sophisticated. But for me(and probably I’m too conservative) pressing 1-3 or 6-7 is just more efficient and faster :roll_eyes:

100% +1. This could be really handy.