Keymap - Unable to Set CTRL as Key

I’m trying to set CTRL as key for View3D Rotate Modal: Switch to Zoom, but it won’t stick. Why is that?

(For the record, I’m want to do this since I’m trying to figure out a way to not having to release MMB when switching navigation modes between Rotate, Pan and Zoom as per this post: )

Here’s a video showing my attempt to set the key:

Ctrl, as well as Alt and Shift, are BUILT in modifiers to Blender HotKeys…ie THEY are used! Enable the Is Key Used addon ( built-in )to see what they are applied to already…

I found out the solution for this and it was embarrasingly simple … Just hit that triangle button to the left of the checkbox for any keymap. There you can set CTRL and other modifiers as valid mapped keys. Ha!

This post was actually a small part in my quest to achieve “MMB Button Release-less” switching between the three navigation modes, pan, zoom and rotate. I’ve now accomplished that and now my navigation is about three times more effective! For anyone interested, see my original post on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/AutoHotkey/comments/ivzx7v/3_times_better_mbutton_navigation_for_blender/

The end result can be seen here. As you can see, I don’t have to release MMB between modes! (FYI this is how Maya used to work back in 2005, not sure nowadays since I’m on Blender instead) :