KIT OPS 2 Now Shipping

Are the inserts supposed to come with their own materials? All my inserts just take on the main object material.

Also, just as with Boxcutter, the booleans are not automatically children of the cut object, so you can’t easily move the object around without applying/parenting all booleans yourself. Why is this not a part of the simplified workflow that these addons offer?

in boxcutter parent shape is a behavioral toggle. It is off because of the cyclic cutting parent issues that can occur.

I think playing with it even there you will see things get a little unpredictable when dealing with transformed objects. We thought it was a good idea to do autoparenting previously. This was a mistake that messed with transformation and caused cyclic issues.

Thank you for the information!

Is this something that you can ask the blender developers to improve now that 2.8 is in such state of flux?

If not, possibly a “bake for export” feature could make it more easy to update designs you want to place in a scene (or maybe I just never figured out how to “append” an entire blender file with its own transform).

Hmm… is it normal that I have to first press apply in the plugin panel, and then press apply on my object, and still the insert objects are left in the scene?

I think I found some bad geometry in one of the complex cutters:

Thanks for pointing that out. Will look into it.

Hi there!

I just recently bought Kit Ops Pro and totally love it, I think you are on to something great that we really have been needing for years without knowing it… :smile:

I got one question related to refreshing/referencing the INSERTs:

Is there a way to “Update placed INSERTs” in a scene?
(when I hit the refresh button in preferences, I expected that any previously placed insert in my scene would get updated to it’s latest version in the KPACKs folder).

I have been having some general trouble with updating/refreshing, so I might just have a problem on my side… but I looked at your tutorials and wasn’t sure if I could figure out if this was the current functionality or not!

While a good idea, it currently isn’t part of the core functionality. We have looked into instancing, but there are a few problems which need fixing before we can add it.

Thanks for chiming in!

Right, no problem!! I’m very excited about the tool and really want to be able to use it in production :slight_smile:

Another idea to resolve this request, but with a wider use case would be to add a “Replace Selected Insert(s)” button to the Kit Ops menu. When pressed, it would replace the selected insert(s) with the active insert (i.e the one displaying a thumbnail) in the KIT OPs menu. (this would be cool no matter if you are replacing an insert with itself, or if you changed your mind and want to swap to another insert).

It would require that the newly replaced insert(s) inherits the previous one’s scale, but imagine it’s “trivial” (times pi…) to implement it compared to an automatic system.

I see it as the single missing piece before I would use it in a larger production environment where iteration is important (any game development for example).

For now I’ll try to not make any mistakes :wink:
Thanks.

Another good idea and as you say probably easier to implement. I’ll put it on a to-do list.

Amazing, Thank you!!! :smiley:

Hey @chippwalters I love KitOps however, it is very confusing what I need to download from Blendermarket. What is the difference between all these? I got it working but it took me a minute of trial an error what needs to go where. I feel this should be made a little more clear.

PS I already watch the install guide on YouTube.

34%20AM

1 Like

It needs a very easily understandable step by step tutorial as to its use too. The related videos that exist are very confusing indeed.

2 Likes

You can check out the beginning of this video for more install directions. Also check out the docs as well.

I agree.
Will work on this. Thanks for the feedback

3 Likes

I just purchased Kitops the other day and it seems to suffer from the same errors that Hardops and many other addons did (but don’t now that they’ve been updated) when I try to enable the addon the first time. It was because of some commit to the master branch of Blender.

I’m using the latest version “kitops-2.8-1.11” from Gumroad. Do you have any plans on when it might get updated to work on the latest builds? Thanks!

New version out very soon.

3 Likes

@Fatesailor @Dheim
New update of KIT OPS. I’ve added the Master-Mega300Tech KPACKS so now you can just download the latest 2.8 version (.13) and then add the contents of Master-Mega300Tech Master folder to your existing kitops Master folder and you should be good to go.

3 Likes

@chippwalters
Is there a release log of the changes?
And what is the Definitely EEVEE Materials System? Is that part of the Definitely EEVEE course or is that available elsewhere?

Whoa, that’s a badass update! Thanks for your hard work!

1 Like