KIT OPS 2 Now Shipping

KIT OPS 2 Now Shipping: Both FREE and PRO versions.

For Blender 2.83+

Free update for PRO users.
All new workflow for creating INSERTS while in your scene. Also, now you can save store your materials super easy!

Check out the new features:

UPDATED 10/15/2018: Added preview video
UPDATED 10/17/2018: Official Release.
UPDATED 10/18/2018: Added Blender Market link
UPDATED 11/09/2018: Updated SALE Info, and beta description

Hey everyone!

KIT-OPS is officially released! for 2.8 PRO and now FREE users! Learn more:

You can find PRO on Gumroad and now [Blender Market]
Find FREE at https://gumroad.com/chippwalters
(https://blendermarket.com/products/kit-ops-pro-asset--kitbashing-addon), too!

You can learn more about it at www.kit-ops.com

Hey everyone,

My name is Chipp Walters, and I’m fairly new to this community.

(Boring bio stuff, just in case you’re interested)
While I’m a long time 3D guy, and short time Blender user. My previous pipeline included SketchUp/Lightwave for 3D poly models, Moi3D for Solid Models, 3DCoat for topology, and UV, Substance for texturing and KeyShot, Unity and some plugins for rendering. Also spent many years developing plugins and photoreal addons and workflows for e-on’s Vue product line. You may have seen my video “Why Switch from SketchUp to Blender?” at https://youtu.be/8MZkjXanO14 There are some other videos there which go into other 3D workflows as well.

So-- I got to talking with my good friend @masterxeon1001 and he convinced me to try Blender and I haven’t looked back. Great program and it appears to also have a SUPER community!

After a bit, I recognized a fairly large missing part in Blender. Something I used both in other poly and NURBS modelers-- namely a robust INSERT tool for KIT BASHING to create concepts quickly. Let me explain.

As an Industrial and Concept Designer, I often need to generate ideas really quick. Take for instance this Drone ambulance, done for Fast Company in a very short time. https://www.altuit.com/projects/ambulance-drone

I was able to get there faster because I could use Google Warehouse and KIT BASH parts together for concept work, then I jumped into MoI3D and used my own KIT BASHING setup there to finish the model. And… I’m not alone in this type of workflow. Vitaly Bulgarov turned me on to both KIT BASHING and MoI3D after seeing his 10 days of Mechs project. Whew! Stunning stuff!

After years of working as a designer, I have my own 80/20 rule and it includes using shortcuts like KIT BASHING and INSERTS to quickly help flesh out a model. So, I talked masterxeon1001 and @proxe, who have both worked on some of the top addons in the industry including Hard Ops, BoxCutter, and others.

I asked for their help in creating a fully functioning INSERT tool which could place .blend files, with modifiers, directly on existing objects. We named it KIT OPS “Smart Inserts” and this is how we describe it (from the KIT OPS Documentation).

KIT OPS is the systemized application of .blender files, called KIT OPS INSERTS, which can be used to instantly cut and add to existing objects or create standalone objects with the goal of rapidly creating and exploring new designs.

The application of different model parts is typically called “kitbashing” and takes its name from the early application of plastic model kit parts to larger scale models for the movie industry. The original Star Wars model spaceships were created in such a fashion.

When used properly, KIT OPS can create objects and scenes with extreme efficiency and speed. Doors and windows can be inserted and cut through walls. Complex industrial designs can be generated in a single sitting. KIT OPS uses the power of the Blender Modifiers to accomplish all of this.

Here are some quick studies which have been generated using the plugin. Note, these are not finished models, just tests designed to push the SMART mode for the addon.

KIT OPS has two different modes: REGULAR and SMART. The SMART mode can do lots of cool things, like Duplicate INSERTS, Repeat Duplicate, Mirror and more. KIT OPS works entirely at the OBJECT level, so this means it is non-destructive (that is until you apply the INSERTS) and you can interact with your design iteratively-- which most designers want. It currently works only with 2.79, but we plan on starting the 2.8 port as soon as it’s released (which should be very soon!)

Please feel free to ask me any questions you might have. We expect to release this plugin very soon. I’m hoping we can help each other create a successful product which we all can benefit from. Let me know…

Thanks!

34 Likes

Seems interesting, It’d be great to see a video demonstrating the tool.

Concur with video of usage. The workflow is kind of important.

1. Anything people use for greeble. Random mechanical, electrical from several genre/eras. Culturally different would be nice, too.
  2. Obviously, this would be requested if you didn’t have it already. People making project specific kits is going to be a thing.
  3. I’m confused by this point. Is this 2 things, a free addon and a $50 set of kits? Or one thing for $50?

Video in progress as we speak. 100% agree on workflow-- it’s what we’ve been working on the past couple of months…

Answer to 3: Free KIT OPS allows anyone to add INSERTS (special .blend files) into their scenes and onto their objects. KIT OPS FACTORY allows anyone to create INSERTS (special .blend files) + adds a lot of new INSERT files + more tutorials and directions.

Probably should’ve added that KIT OPS free will come with a healthy assortment of INSERTS as well. Of course the FACTORY version will add even more.

HTH.

3 Likes

This looks great. I only occasionally do hard-surface modeling myself, but I’m sure this is going to be welcomed by many hard-surface modelers, even outside of the Blender community. :+1:

Hi,

I suppose the way you use insert on a base mesh would be similar like the inserts in Hardops. (Only organisation is much different). Something like that?

How does it deal with normals on curved surfaces? Lets say I have a sphere as base mesh, and I shade it smooth. I use one of your inserts. (I suppose its boolean). Is the idea do deform the insert-mesh to the curvature of the sphere, and do you have something in mind that solves issues with messed up normals after applying the boolean? (Something like; transfer normals from original mesh to new mesh).

Is it similar with the new feature that is planned for Meshmachine?

This is not like Meshmachine in that the inserts are dynamic and applied at the object level. This means they can be moved, scaled, repeated, mirrored and deleted as the design is refined. The user could certainly apply an insert and when all is complete, use Meshmachine to orient the normals if the objects are on a curved surface.

Start Simple, add large INSERTS, then medium ones and finish using detailed INSERTS.

The INSERTS are labeled so you can start using large cutters. Rotate and scale them as you like. Then you can add some more detailed objects and finish with some small tertiary objects which provide the final level of detail you’re looking for.

scrollboolsgif

3 Likes

SMART INSERTS help speed modeling

Using KIT OPS, you can build your models using SMART mode, which allows you to interactively scale, mirror, duplicate and repeat any of your INSERTS. Plus, when you’re finished, you can go back and adjust the position, rotation and scale of them as well. If they are used as part of a mirror operation, their mirrored counterpart will also be transformed as well.

kops01

6 Likes

That looks like a very usefull and practical. There is one thing I miss in nearly all addons related to hardsurface modeling and that is snapping to edge, face or vertices. (only cuber has it). If we can snap then we can be sure the insert is in the middel / center and then its a matter of moving / scaling it in one or two axis if need. Any idea how much it will cost and what the release date is?

Where can I get this?

Thanks for the feedback @anon72338821

We’re looking into the snapping part.

We’re busy testing now, and wrapping up the website, tutorials and INSERT collections (called CATALOGS). The product is already very robust and we’re not seeing much in the way of issues.

The KIT OPS addon will be free and include a basic library of INSERTS. KIT OPS FACTORY is the addon that allows you to make (and giveaway or sell) your own CATALOGS of INSERTS. We’re currently working on pricing, but we believe it will be in the $25-$50 range, depending on what we add to it.

4 Likes

See my post above. It’s currently in beta…

1 Like

Thanks for the info :slight_smile:

Nice idea Chipp (I do know you from the forum of Moi3D and your so helpful tutorials on it)! Curious to watch a demonstration video. It would be good to see what happens with the shape meshes take after such operations, of course. The first impression from the gif above is superbly satisfying however, no need to say.

This looks awesome. I can’t wait to test it out, once it is released.

Hi @Fatesailor,

Thank you for the kind words.

I am currently putting together some instructional and marketing videos. We should be shipping this soon.

Hi @Ztreem,

It is quite fun to use. I’m excited to see what people will do with it! Thanks for your comment.

Thanks for the gifs of the tool in action, I’m very excited to give it a go!

1 Like

I’m sorry if I’m confused but doesn’t this kinda duplicate a lot of what HardOps already does? Would it not make more sense to make this kitbash library work with Hardops instead of creating a whole new addon for it?

Again. Sorry if I’m getting things confused. This looks like a really good kitbash library :slight_smile: