Krita 2.8 is out!!!

By the way, for anybody who tried to get the latest Krita for Mint 15/Ubuntu Raring and nothing happened - there is no package for them other than an old 2.6.3 in the repository. To solve the issue, in “Software Sources” change the PPA from Raring to Saucy and update the apt cache. The Saucy version will need a few extra dependencies but they’re not too hard to find.

Noob question really, is Krita good for texturing?

Sorta, the hand painted textures approach along with some of the brush types work really well, but for the image manipulated texture workflow it could use some work, especially with masking and alpha channel workflows.

I find it works extremely well when combined with a good image editor for texturing. I use Photoline (which has okay drawing tools, but nothing exciting) and I set up an app link in Photoline to Krita which sends the current layer I happen to edit in Photoline to Krita as a png file where I can use the painting tools. When I am finished I save the file, and that layer is automatically updated in Photoline. Very handy.

One particularly good feature for texturing work is wraparound mode which lets you view your tiling texture as you work on it - I don’t know of any other software that has this feature

@ kayoslll: absolutely, that’s a great feature.

Except Blender has this feature too, but few realize it. In 2d Editor, turn on Repeat under Display Coordinates

Yep, about to say that too :slight_smile:

However, Krita has a better brush system and is a little faster as 2d paint program. Furthermore you can use the filter layers+the phong bumbmap filter to preview a painted bumpmap in this wraparound mode.

So you can work in Krita to make base textures, brushes and stencils(and concepart). These can then be used to advantage in Blender’s texture paint.

Edit: actually there’s a lot of gsoc noise about improving tecture painting abilities. God knows where it goes though.

Speaking of Krita development, the words “on OsX” have been spotted in the wild on the Krita commits log a couple of times now. May this strange beast make it it’s natural habitat.

Alright, Krita 2.8.1 is out!
With many more crash fixes and reported to be much faster than 2.8.0!

Also Krita Gemini is now availeble as an ‘early access’ program on steam!

“Krita 2.8.2 will contain the improved support for uc-logic/evdev based tablets on Linux”

I’m running Krita 2.9 Pre-Alpha and it already supports my generic uc-logic tablet on Linux. Good work!

Did they mention when they’re releasing 2.8.2? I’d love to try it with my Hanvon tablet.

I think they have not mentioned yet when version 2.8.2 will be released

https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=139&t=98347&sid=06fa6f00838ddba0762ebfb36af37180&start=150

Well, Krita 2.8.2 is here:
http://krita.org/item/226-krita-2-8-2-released

Yes! That is what I wanted to read, Krita can now read PSD layer groups, I hope it keeps the layer masks that come with. I am still figuring out Krita I have yet to figure out masking. But if it does this than it will mean I can work on a bunch of PSD files I have on my HD.

Also Krita has GSoC going on.

Of particular interest is probably to this forum the crazy dude who’s gonna implement material-paint. That’s right, not texture paint, but material painting, with multiple layers being edited, and a openGL 3.0 (PRE)viewport. As far as I know this doesn’t include actually painting on the model, so for that you need to go to blender still, but even then multiple layer editing is neat.
The guy seems to come at it as an end-user, so he’s probably crazy-motivated as well.

Excellent, now Krita works with my Hanvon tablet and it even supports pen tilt!

That is really good!

Pesho would you say you’re happy with your Hanvon Tablet? Which model are you using?

I’m using an older Hanvon GraphicPal 0806. You can consider it as pretty much an Intuos3 clone without the buttons on both sides. The pen doesn’t need a battery just like the Wacom tablets. The hardware itself is great, except that the pen’s plastic feels a little thin and cheapy. That’s not much of an issue, it’s like holding a regular ballpoint pen instead of a fancy rubber grip stylus. Windows driver works well enough, and though it does feel a little rough, their support team do respond to emails in case you find a bug. There is no official Linux support, so you have to download the driver source and compile it yourself. After this you need to install it as a loadable kernel module. There is also no driver GUI in Linux so if you want to adjust the aspect ratio or working area, you need to use the terminal.

Maybe someone can help me out here. I have been trying out Krita of late and I get the distinct impression that airbrushes don’t work on Windows; I tried out the default brushes, built my own, I made sure airbrush was toggled on etc but no luck.

What I mean by working is that if I take an airbrush on low opacity and press my pen down it should build up opacity until 100% or stop when I lift my pen. Like how it behaves in the GIMP and Photoshop. Now the airbrushes just behave like soft brushes.