Kyoto Alley

Remake of the awesome photography by Masayuki Nakamura. Small scene breakdown below with an animated version.

115 Likes

That’s stunning. I want to go there

3 Likes

Incredible work as usual Thijs! could you share some aproximate rendertimes for the animation and ram usage on your pc? i am very curious about that i have been struggling with my interiors and ram, i just bought 128 gb of ram because of that. i love the colors on your work it really feels “rainy”

Thank you! Rendertime per frame was around 3,5 minutes. I rendered it purely on my GPU, which is a RTX 4090 with 24GB of VRAM. I used the Simplify option under the render settings to reduce all of my textures to a max of 2048 pixels as my final output was just 1500 x 1920 pixels for the animation. This helped reducde my VRAM use with more then half as all my models normally come with 4k textures or higer. These tricks should also work with rendering on CPU with you RAM!

3 Likes

Nice work !

1 Like

That’s amazing.

I had exactly the same thought!

2 Likes

Nice work. Was memory a concern when rendering with 24GB of VRAM? How much memory did the render use?

1 Like

Not really, the simplify options really helpes me out when I try to render with solely my GPU. I think this scene used around 16gb of VRAM.

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Thanks for the insights Thijs, that´s a very reasonable time, i do render also purely on GPU but i have not upgraded to a 4090, i have a 3090 still which has the same vram but less cuda cores, i guess i was abusing my model by the amout of textures and poligons on my scene.

Back to the topic on your scene, did you exagerate the reflectivity on other materials to achieve that wet look? i think you nailed the overcast look, it has the proper depth and accents to make it interesting which is hard in overcast scenes imo.

1 Like

Yes I had to afjust to roughness of all my textures to achieve the wet look in the scene!

Wow! So realistic :heart_eyes::fire:

Somkind of funny that a rainy day can look so nice :wink: :sun_behind_rain_cloud:

You’re on the featured row! :+1:

1 Like

Thanks Bart!

1 Like

This is incredible :fire::fire:. using simplify to reduce texture sizes and save vram is a great trick that I did not know about. Thanks!

1 Like

AHHHH yea. Amazing work as always!!!

1 Like

Same for me untill this project! This will definitely help me with new projects.

Thanks mate!

Looks stuning! I think the One thing to fix is the green tint of vegetation, under a overcast day I feel like it would be less saturated. Hope my 2 cents help !