Laptops and rendering

I’m making up my mind, that i’m going to dedicate my current time to one project, so that I might actually finish something. I’m going to work on the new design for Ray 2.0… I think it’s coming along pretty good, and Ray the robot was long overdue for a new design.

I´d stick with him then. It offers lots of possibilities.

concept arts
reference images
highpoly model
scene setup.
lighting and rendering setup.
rigging.
animation - maybe composit him and let him walk over your desk or through your kitchen.
Retopo him LowPoly and bake textures for a game model.

And don’t try to shine only. Make a WIP thread, show the concepts you mocked up, and if they are utter crap don´t care, still post it. Take all input you can get to make a solid character, but don´t take everything you get, just ignore some.
It´s common, especially in human modelling threads, that peeps offer good advice, like setting poles somewhere else in the topology, or that you forgot the caruncula lacrimals in the corner of the eye and your char looks like a zombie for that reason, while there are others saying, you did ugly shit, the nose is too potatoe like, which then is a matter of perception and a personal thing of the artist. There are ugly people out there in the world, nevertheless, they are the real stuff. You got to ignore those critics then =) I´ve seen people that are uglier than the worst crap posted in the net, so then who´s to tell you what a robot should look like? =) But if people suggest stylistic changes you might like, don´t rule them out completely. If someone says he might look nice with a rabbit on his hat and you like the idea, mock it up. Who knows, maybe it rocks.
Look at various traditional art threads at BA (here comes the steamroller) lots of pics posted there are crappy some even fugly, still they post it, they also share their fails which is not granted, sharing art is almost sharing a part of your soul, and sharing bad stuff is even more personal. And they know that some pieces aren´t good, and all here know one draws 199 crap pictures and 1 outstanding. Many never show anything because they give up after 10, and others wait for the 1 to happen, show it and then are scattered when it gets critiques.

And take your time in each step. Try to make the most out of everything and go into the detail and don´t hurry to the next step. It is also a nice project to add to your portfolio if it works out - keep that in mind.

In my opinion those are the the 3 most common mistakes for “beginners”:

• not sharing everything, just the stuff they think is good: if you don´t show others the mistakes you made no one else can see them and help you over them.
  • making too much at once: its tempting all new and its so awesome to create stuff but it does one no good, you´ll end up with piles of digital crap.
  • rushing through the learning process, ignoring advice to get along faster: many take NO critique serious just to get stuff done and go to the next thing and in the end they can do everything but nothing right. A highpoly model is useless if the topo sucks for animation, the best rig is worthless if the animator can´t use it, the best looking materials are worthless if they are just working right with one spotlight…

well, gl with Ray i´ll make sure to be in the thread and poke you with needles =)

AHHHHHH!!! I think this vacation is going to kill me!!! My mom informed me today that I am limited to 1 hour of computer usage on the trip!!! I CAN’T TAKE IT!!! Those words are to horrible to bare!!!

She says that we need to go out and have fun… this is my fun!!! This is all I do! I don’t hang out with friends, because none of them really want to be seen with me(long story) I don’t go out places, because the town I live in has nothing to do!!

3D modeling is my life… I know it’s pathetic and sad but it’s what I love to do… I’m a bit of a loser I guess you could say :slight_smile:

1 hour? I’m not saying I can’t get alot done in an hour, but I’d rather have alot more time!!! I made most of Ray 2.0 in less than an hour. I tend to speed model sometimes, which mostly is a blessing, but other times screws me over. But either way, I get alot done fast.

UGH!!! only one hour?! WHY?! all I have to do otherwise is float in the pool and listen to my mom rant about whats wrong in the world or talk about stupid tv shows I dont care about!! I love my mom, but she is REALLY annoying…

Just an hour for a cube on a laptop?! sheesh, that’s nothing compared to the hours it took to render a sphere on a checkered plane on top PC hardware from the good ol’ times.

I wish I could relive those days by rendering CG exclusively from some cheap mp4 player device… now we have business!

Ok, well i forgot the settings i had on the infamous hour long cube… Heh heh!! I um had it REALLY jacked up on settings for rendering. It actually does not render on any computer. It has like 8 different lights, all of which have the samples set to 16. Also had on ao, um and a whole lot of stuff i cant remember!!!

… Um my bad…

I have a question… Can I legally use music that is not mine in a movie, without direct permission from the owner? I ask this because I want to use MegaDeath for the music in my movie Light it Up.

No.
Seriously how do you even get this idea? :confused:

Rather easy, picture the consequences:
You put your movie then on youtube.
Then it gets 1.000.000 views.
Then in the lawsuite they deceide the financial damage done to the copyright holder/label was 10USD per view.
Then you get a penalty based on the “amount” of the crime, wich in this case will most likely be jail, and on top of that you got to pay 10.000.000USD compensation.

Granted, the 10 USD are not what the label will claim, they claim ridiculous amounts like 100 or 200 USD per click, but 10USD is believable.

I’d give them credit… I just don’t have the access to the band to ask for permission. I like alot of their songs and some of them are perfect for this film.

I can write music, very well in fact, but actually writing it down or getting it played and recorded are completly different stories. I just dont have good resources. Hmmm… Id get the school band to help with music, cause they are really good, but i know thd band director doesnt really care for me, and the director he works with hates me… :frowning:

I guess im gonna hav to write all the music, and attempt to play it. All i own is a guitar, coronet, synthesizer(currently broken), electric guitar, harmonica, drums… None of which i play very well. I teach myself pretty much everything, but 3d modeling is all ive successfully learned. I play piano best, but not well, because i dont know all the chords and everything.

I’m posting this just to help someone on the facebook page make rope.

step 1:delete the default cube, add a circle

step2:add an array modifier and set the count to 5

step3:add an empty object

step4:select your circle again and turn off relative offset, and turn on object offset.

step5:set the empty object to the object offset

step6:move the empty object out a bit, and rotate it until the last circle touches the first circle in the array. Once this is done, select the circle again and apply the array modifier

step7:go into edit mode, and extrude your circle upwards until it is the desired length. then select all in edit mode, and subdivide it several times.

step8:leave edit mode, and add a Simple Deform modifier to the rope. change the deform type to Twist, and set the factor until you get the desired twist of the rope

there! you’re done!!

when it’s finished, it should look somewhat like the picture below.

I hope this helps!!

Attachments

Ok, so after i started this thread, I got to work on learning more about what i am doing. Over the course of time that I have been doing this, I have learned a great bit about 3d modeling, and really at the moment do not need a new computer. I’ve drastically lowered my render times, and am very satisfied with the quality I am getting with these lowered times. Compositing helps quite a bit, and overall the quality of my models has improved greatly!!

Thanks to everyone who helped me and pointed me in the right direction!!!

fgdgdrtgfgfdg

more memory only helps when you need memory. It doesn’t magically makes things faster, only prevents getting slower thanks to processes swapping in and out of disk cache for a lack of memory…

did I ever mention how much I hate obsolete mobile hardware for CG? :stuck_out_tongue:

still, on vacations it’s better than nothing… :stuck_out_tongue:

Take a project that you can stick with, make a reasonable start on it, and then throw it out to a WIP thread for comments. There are plenty of people who will help you. Maybe.

It is very easy to become frustrated, especially (and I do not mean this in a negative way, actually) at your present age. It is rather difficult to put anything quite into perspective. And I actually do remember very well, seeing if I could once again persuade my parents to drive about twenty miles downtown to sit in the University library where I would spend hours working on one of the CRT terminals attached to their time-sharing system. Which they indulgently did. And they found places to put the stacks of green-bar paper listings that I would bring home after having squandered yet another one of the school’s DECwriter ribbons. It was “a different time, but the same passion,” and of course I could not “put it into perspective” because I had no “perspective” yet to put it into. And there’s really only one way to get that: time.

One thing that many artists do, with great success, is to do studies. These are small and simple scenes, or merely parts of scenes, which focus on just one particular issue or technique. Build your own little digital “sketchbook” of studies.

Thanks for your suggestions… I have a new project that is coming along great!! It is a full length movie project called Project Illusion.

This project is doing quite well, and is looking pretty good.

The lowest price for
Asus Eee PC 1001P
IS that I could find so far is here:

http://www.upiq.com/api.php?pid=95231136