Late withdrawal: Renderman stylization + organic armor

Updated image.

The first iteration.

Renderman was realistic cyberpunk, now becoming stylized biopunk.
Also, why on Earth would he wear pants?

Luckily, I already made a stylized base mesh before, so I’ll use it here.
I’m going for a Gigeresque organic armor with insectoid elements (the helmet in particular, or protective shoulder pads).

For the surrounding robotic elements, I’m thinking of either tentacles or insect arms.

Is this Renderman or his archenemy? Or maybe it’s just a dude playing a VR game, hence the lack of lower body attire…

3 Likes

The design of the torso and shoulder pads feels okay to me but the arms aren’t finished.
I’ll also delete the placeholder pads around the arms as I might add an electronic(?) device to the forearms, a la Predator.

Shoulder pad.

Viewport front view.

Can’t wait to get to the texturing part.

I love me some white-colored armor but it doesn’t feel right without textures.

Viewport back.

I still haven’t decided where and if I can add lights (like the blue ones in the original). One idea is to add glowing insects crawling on his armor.

All in all, it kinda feels like I’m making a villainous version of Renderman…

2 Likes

Great idea! Hahaha, I love the underpants. I wonder if you can set up the Sketchfab viewer so that it’s close up when you start and underpants are the zoom-out reveal

1 Like

Thanks a lot! I’m planning to animate the character and maybe I can position the starting point as you said, and maybe the camera itself can be animated… I’ll play around with it for sure

Hey! As we’re entering the final days of the challenge, I’d like to give you some helpful tips to make sure you can successfully complete your entry. Please see my new post on the FAQ topic.

1 Like

Just got back from IRL stuff, so I hope I’ll finish this project in time.

I added a mask and pants to place them somewhere behind him on a hanger of sorts, or in a box.

Upcoming tasks: retopo, texturing and animating

2 Likes

He’s looking very nice! Any plans for the background? Make sure to get it on Sketchfab by Thursday, September 15, and tag it #bcon22challenge

1 Like

Thanks! Initially I was planning to add organic insectoid arms, mimicking the concept of the original.
But now that there isn’t much time left I’ll probably add a box saying something like “Gigerator” that he probably got off Amazon… :thinking:

Hey! Just a quick reminder that there’s now less than 12 hours remaining to wrap up your challenge entry - submissions close at 2022-09-15T21:59:00Z, GMT+1 (click on the link for some international times).

If you haven’t done so already, please review this post which contains some essential information for preparing your submission.

At the very least, upload your work to Sketchfab as soon as possible and add the #bcon22challenge tag.

It’s also a good idea to add a link to your WIP topic in the description of your Sketchfab model so we can easily find it.

I’ll also keep a close eye on the FAQ topic today, so if you have any issues or questions please post it there as soon as possible.

Good luck!

Just got back from unexpected IRL stuff again. I did the retopo and texture baking but not the animation.
Sadly, with one hour left, there’s not time left to animate the dumb little dance I wanted, but good luck to everyone who submitted their entry!