Learning Blender,all over again!

I spent more than two years learning and researching information on the Blender program, I taught myself modeling, texturing, UV mapping, animation and even had the beginnings of my own rpg game, then the new Blender came out. For about a year I have not been able to accomplish much at all, I feel completely lost. I am starting this thread because all of the tutorials that I have read are now out of date as they use the “Older” interface. I will be posting questions about the newer version of Blender GUI and leave questions about modeling to other threads, please feel free to ask your own questions here as well.

First question:
In Edit mode, box select only selects vertices that are visible, how do I change it so that box select selects all vertices? even the vertices on the back of the mesh?

previous work on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/user/crossbones59?feature=mhee

on bottom header in edit mode
right beside the face selection there is an icon for limit selection to visible

there are very good video intro tut on cgcookie
did you try these?

even if they are old the GUI has not change a lot

and another thigns in 2.6 there are some new features coming for the gui

it is evolving rapidely and you have to follow it over time!
but we are getting news things almost in every new version of blender!

happy blendering

The same way as in all previous versions of blender. Either wireframe view or ‘occlude background geometry’ / ‘Limit selection to visible’

If you’re familiar with blender 2.4x, the concepts have not changed and the layout is very similar except vertical vs horizontal buttons layout You should be able to pick up all you need in the current version within an hour, two at most

Attachments

You need to hit the button on the toolbar next to the select mode buttons. :slight_smile: Then the box select should select all of them that are in the box.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

**Aww man last in the help race XD

so simple and I have been reading tutorials for 2 weeks, thank you. I know my questions will be viewed as being simple but they are confusing to me. I have watched the videos on cgcookies but the new gui is still confusing.

Question two:
My ,blend files do now work between versions, I have the older version of Blender installed also, can the files be manipulated to work in both versions?

Basic meshes will work across the different versions. Problem is that certain features in the newest Blender (e.g B-mesh) will cause issues in older versions of Blender. For instance a .blend file with ngons(faces with more than 4 vertices) won’t show properly in old versions, and stuff like that. However anything from old versions of Blender should work on the latest versions.
Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Tremendously! Thank you all, I will be back with more simple questions but for now, Thank you all again. I happily returns to my .blend.

How do I set the knife tool to cut through an object and not just the forward face? also what happened to loop cut and center cut?

Sometimes when in edit mode I hit L to select an object and Shift + D to copy it but it only copies a wire frame or L only selects a wire frame of the object, How can I control when it selects and/or duplicates an object and not the wire frame of it?

Question: Sometimes when in edit mode I hit L to select an object and Shift + D to copy it but it only copies a wire frame or L only selects a wire frame of the object, How can I control when it selects and/or duplicates an object and not the wire frame of it?

I really need an answer to this one.

In edit mode you don’t select objects. In edit mode you select vertices, edges and faces. And by “copies/selects a wire frame” you mean it copies or selects only edges, not faces? Sorry for being picky, but if you’re being insistive, you better phrase your questions so that others can understand them.

What you’re describing probably means there are problems with your mesh: extra vertices and edges, which usually appear when you extrude and then press esc (or right-click). For starters, I’d get rid of all doubles (select all, W->Remove Doubles).

Can’t really tell you about knife tool, don’t use it much. As for loop cut, nothing happened to it, Ctrl+R.

Is there any chance that you might take a look here?

In edit mode, you can still use L to select linked verts/faces/edges, but you might find that you need to press it a few times to get everything if there is geometry that is not connected.

I use ctrl-R to loop cut, and roll the mouse wheel to increase numbers of cuts.

How do I set the knife tool to cut through an object and not just the forward face? also what happened to loop cut and center cut?

As soon as you hit K there is help on 3d window status line: start cut and toggle Z - green marks will show on occluded edges, status line will tell “cut through ON”.
Ctrl-R by default “cuts” in a middle. Knife has Ctrl for that.

@CraigJones: I thought it was ctrl L, but they may have changed it. @ Exanimis: Adjusting to new versions of blender can be frustrating, and many people are still using 2.48. But it’s well worth adjusting, because of all the new goodies. and I suspect the interface will remain similar to it’s current state for awhile now.

Trust me on this one, Exanimis … you a-r-e n-o-t alone in feeling “at first blush, completely orphaned by” the new Blender interface.

However, the very good news is, this feeling will very quickly pass.

Blender really did receive a “comprehensive make-over,” and by and large it is quite exceptional. You will indeed find that many things you’re used to seeing are no longer to be found where you expected them to be. And yet, you will in many cases find that they have been replaced by something much better. Case-in-point is what was called “Animato,” that is, “anything can be animated.” There’s no corollary for this (common sense…) idea in the original interface, yet, when you see it in action it hits you: “why wasn’t it always this way… duh?”

Blender, imho, is absolutely a “poster child” for the sheer power of open-source software development.

I have checked over and over, there is no extra geometry. Remove doubles does not remove any but when I select a “part/object/mesh”,only the vertices and edges are selected. When I use Shift +D to copy the mesh, only the vertices and edges are copied not the faces. In this screenshot you can see the results, I used L to select each “mesh/part/object” but the fifth “object” selected incorrectly. Does anyone have any idea why?

Does that happen every time or only on this specific .blend file?

Trough experimenting, I just found the when the “object” selects only vertices and edges, I can correct it by using Ctrl +L. Thank you all again for the help and useful comments.

@Stan, this has been going on every since I installed the new Blender.

Just for the fun of it, try the latest version. From the screenshot I see you’re using 2.63, there’s been two releases after that, current stable version is 2.65a. And there’s 2.66 upcoming.

I just installed 2.65, thanks

get the latest buildbot SVN
at least you get the lastest GUI
and should not change for a while!

salutations