Lets talk LINUX

How much console typing do you have to do in Linux typically, is it like this?

Activate - Desktop
Desktop: Boot-GUI
Boot: OpenGL
Boot: Drivers
GPU-activate: mode-regular performance
AppList: Open
FindFile: MyLinux/Myapps/Blenderfolder
Open: Blender 2.5.tar
MemAllocate - 4 gigs, cores: 4, memfeed speed: normal

Either that or I’m making fun of Linux (WindowsXP still wins):smiley:

No CD, with Linux you can have Blender or whatever else you want automatically open up every time you log on. I imagine it’s fairly straight forward to so the same by tampering with config / startup files in Windows.

I dual booted Ubuntu/Vista for a while. For a few months I rarely if ever booted into my Vista partition. Ubuntu was new to me, extremely tinker-friendly, and just fun. After a while the novelty wore off. I started noticing little things that bugged me. Eventually I stopped booting into it and formatted my Ubuntu partition. My main gripes were the lack of a good, easy way to configure my Wacom tablet, and issues when trying to use multiple monitors I had experienced earlier this year when I tried Ubuntu again.

I think the biggest barrier for Windows users to start using a Linux distro is the general difficulty of finding out how to change something on your own.  In Windows, an option might be buried deep within 40 menus, but it's there.  Linux tends to rely on the CLI too much for my taste.  I understand how useful it is, but sometimes I like just being able to find something on my own.  This seems to be slowly resolving itself though.  

The coolest things I remember about Ubuntu were Compiz, and the ****load of apps available. Apps don’t always come in neatly packaged installers, but man, you can find ANYTHING you’re looking for, and if you can’t, chances are someone will write the app in the next 6 months. (for the poster who was griping about using 2 apps for managing songs on his mp3 player, have you tried Songbird? It’s a bit heavy, but great nonetheless.) Worst thing was trying to install a new release of Pidgin. I was missing a few dependencies. So I tried installing them. Worked great, but one of the dependencies depended on an older version of another one of the dependencies. After an hour I said f it and went back to the version of Pidgin in the repositories. -_-

That being said, I definitely don't feel like Ubuntu is any better or worse than Windows.  Both have strong points and weak points.  If I could have an OS with repositories, the ability to change settings or whatever you want to change through the GUI AND CLI, the amazing eyecandy of Compiz/etc, tinkerability, accessibility, and compatibility, I'd have the perfect OS.  Ubuntu and Windows (and I guess OSX, though I haven't liked some basic things about it) have some, but not all of those.

-I’m currently rocking a Clearlooks theme + Gnome icons. I still miss the eyecandy :’( -

I suppose it depends on what you want to do.

If you really wanted to you could set up a linux box with no window manager (aside from the crappy one built in to the X server) and use the console to launch all GUI apps or you can install a full featured Gnome/KDE setup and never (typically) see the commandline.

You can even set it up so the apps run on your supercomputer but display on your desktop box with very little extra work.

But apparently you can’t easily manage your pirated mp3 collection (even though I have no trouble with my ipod)…

All my songs are purchased and i can post receipts if you would like me too. The thing is if I do prove you wrong you will own me an apology.

I do download mixed cds and they are all provided for free by people who make them.
http://www.deep-z.net/ is one of those places where i get them from.

yeah, about the managing music, that’s why i got amarok(i you have ubuntu, it’s in add/remove). everything else, like using playlist or those “games for windows”, you can pretty much do with wine.

i love my ubuntu, and it couldn’t care less. but you know what? it’s better that way, cause if it did care (like some of the tools in windows), then it would eat at my resources and i wouldn’t be able to use blender as fast as i do. better to have users that care, rather than the OS itself.

CD, you should try a live disc sometime. I recommend Knoppix, it’s the original live CD and the only one I know of that’s genuinely useful even in live version. You’d be able to try the command line a little. I general, though, I use the command line occasionally. I use it to install software especially:

apt-cache search blender
would bring up the name of the blender package

apt-get install blender
would install blender and its prerequisites

it can also be useful to do things like this:
mv *.gif ./gif-files
Which would move all gif files to a subfolder called gif-files

It can be really useful to bypass the GUI for some tasks. For example, the wireless support on my machine isn’t very reliable (it gets goofed up when I suspend the computer) but I set up a simple two-line shell script that reconnects it to my home network. It’s really cool.

Oh, wow, a little defensive don’t ya think?

Just making a hasty generalization based on the amount of ‘security theater’ engineered into MS products.

Nobody cares anyway.

Nobody cares?? I care when you say things like that and you know nothing about me.

I’m really starting to dig on linux. I found this very cool website http://www.osalt.com/ I was searching for video editors such as final cut pro and found osalt.com. they have a ton of linux software. some opensource some commercial. worth a look if your a linux guy.

also found out about some cool renderers…pixie 2.2 and luxrender. probably old news to most of you but those are some beautiful looking renderers! :eyebrowlift: that lux render is a real portfolio booster. looks like maya renderings. looked at some blender/lux render stills and all i can say is blender 2.5 is starting to look like cinema 4d!

Yet you find it perfectly acceptable to make hasty generalizations about ‘linux fanboys’ on a regular basis?

Interesting moral code you live by…

For video editors I recommend cinelerra or kdenlive… Both are quite good.

What distro of linux should i get? I am building a pc so I will need the install cd/dvd to install. it will be a standalone os. no duel booting or anything.

so what would be the best 64bit version of linux for multimedia/graphics? my main use will be for 3d graphic design/video editing/games. is there a version that is better for the power graphics apps? besides ubuntu? I was thinking of linux mint, open suse or dreamlinux. would one be be better for blender 2.5? I like dream linux becasue of the simple osx-like desktop.

Ubuntu has been my distro of choice for the last few years, but I took another look at fedora core, and I was really impressed. Also, their community seems more focused (ubuntu guys are headed in 1000 different directions at the same time -> it’s kind of a miracle that it all didn’t fall apart yet).

So, you could at the very least give fedora core a try.

EDIT* -> Actually, you’ll find that red-hat based distros (like fedora) have more up-to-date repos.

waht about video cards? forgot to ask! most video cards are windows compatible but what linux? are the newest geforce/radeon cards compatible with linux?

epic lol… good point… how about these comands…

Update Linux/Ubuntu/Fedora

Sync With Wiki

Security Scan

Security Status

Reboot

Unzip Blender.gzip

Upload Files

I just built a new computer and put ubuntu on it but sadly am already thinking I will be uninstalling this. It seems like a nice os but the show stopper has not been ubuntu but manufacterers who only seem to put drivers for windows on their cds.

Sadly the internet here is pretty expensive outside of just surfing the web; downloading things is one slow expensive nightmare espeically when you are using using 3G internet dongles and all so while I could download drivers from the net.

it is far less frustating for me to buy windows 7 and install drivers from the cds that came with my various components and in future update them one at a time. But for the short time I used ubuntu was nice it certainly booted up pretty damn quick.

Check compatibility BEFORE buying anything:)

Sadly the internet here is pretty expensive outside of just surfing the web; downloading things is one slow expensive nightmare espeically when you are using using 3G internet dongles and all so while I could download drivers from the net.

But it also allows for a single point that controls ALL the software on the system, instead of the `each application phones home and updates itself’ model which is a bloated mess. With a package manager you can install anything from the repository with only a single command, and with one more command update to the newest version of absolutely everything in one go.

Windows 7 is no major improvement over the previous versions. The design of the OS is fundamentally broken due to pulling over the design of the single user windows 98 OS instead of breaking backwards compatibility and starting fresh. The ONLY way that Windows could be sensibly fixed would be to break backwards compatibility. as of right now its a complete and utter mess.

The only place that I find running windows makes any scene at all is in a virtual machine, where it is trivial to back up the VM at any point in time, and revert back.

sorry but do you speak from a position of authority or not because what you said there is in direct contridiction from several magazine articles that I have read and on average have given windows 7 positive reviews. Have you seen the acutual source code of Windows to actually know that is ‘fundamentally broken’ and is a ‘complete and utter mess’ or is this mere exaggeration on you part to paint microsoft in as harsh a light as possible. I don’t buy into any type fanboyism so I tend to research and read a bit. when people make such sweeping statements I take what they say with a whole ocean of salt.

With my ubuntu experiment I had little to loss the iso image was on magazine cd i so besides the price of a new dvd and the mag itself it was just about as close to free as I can get. But in this case it has just not worked out for me.

While I’m a very satisfied linux user, and really like it’s power and the amount of fantastic apps available from the open source community, I have to disagree with you here.

I still hold that there is no decent quality open source video editor. Blender’s VSE is the best of a bad bunch. From what I’ve heard the VSE is getting revamped and this will soon change, but until then, let’s not kid ourselves.

kdenlive is fine for simple home movies,
cinelerra is just plain horrible.

Unfortunately, right now the only robust, professional quality video editors and compositors available for the linux platform are proprietary.