Lifeboat... in space!

Hey blenderartists!

Here is my entry for the “Endless engines” challenge of clint (pwnisher).
The competition contains a basic template animation which you have to exchange with your own assets.
Artstation link: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/qe990P
WIP thread here in BA: Lifeboat... in space!

My approach to the challenge: As i like space ships, i was thinking about making one. As fighters and similar types are all well known and done to death, i though of a different role - a lifeboat.
So collecting references and resources was on the plan and after a bit i had an idea how to make a spaceship look like a rescue boat. I mix elements from coastguard boats and the ISS. Makes total sense, i know.
To create the scene i use just assets i have created in the past, the boat is of course now a fresh creation.
There is no third party kitbash in the scene. The only paid addon is “flared” for the lovely lensflare.
Learned some new things in the artwork, first time spending more time animating things (thanks Christian for the help) and experimenting more with simlation of VFX.
Created in Blender 3.4
Rendered with Cycles on a 3060 @512-2k samples per frame ~10min each.

Thumbnail:

56 Likes

Wow, this looks fantastic! Definitely a top 100 work, at least in my opinion.

1 Like

That sounds like a realistic goal, top10 will be super tight. There are so many incredibly good submissions.
Even without a top position, i have a nice new artwork for my gallery :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Good luck man!

1 Like

This looks great. Well done.

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

2 Likes

Thank you Bart, you too!

1 Like

You’re on the #featured row! :+1:

1 Like

I love it very much!

1 Like

A pleasure to be at the featured row, thank you :slight_smile:
Thanks, ostapblender!

1 Like

The vfx is good, especially the particles.

1 Like

Awesome idea and great execution as well!! All the best man!

1 Like

Awesome work and cool design.

1 Like

Thank you all very much :slight_smile: @StoryHierarchy @CharlesNG48900 @Meshmonkey Kind words from you, much appreciated!

2 Likes

Just saw it in the top 100.
Knew it! Congrats!!

1 Like