Limitations in existing Blender features you would like to see resolved.

Snap to grid would be a great thing. It boggles my mind that this isn’t in this, otherwise, extremely capable piece of software. This, also, isn’t just a “would be nice to have” feature, but a pretty major time saver when building things like level geometry for games.

And yeah, I echo what most of the other game art people want: vertex normal editing and exporting.

I would rather like to see a generalized texture blur node, it would come in handy for a lot of other things when doing procedural texturing. Add to this the option for other common transforms on textures, like dodge, edge detect, and something I would really like: smear along a specified vector (amount controllable by a factor input would be awesome).

I also found something recently that broke the non-destructive editing paradigm. When trying to apply a lattice deform to a couple of arrays it seemed to only work on the original object regardless of the modifier order. Though I did not apply any rigorous testing to resolve the issue, so it might have been my problem and not Blender’s.

If it is parametric objects that you want: I created a Python framework for them back in the 2.4x days. You could change the parameters after creation, it would delete the object and re-create it anew. Moving and rotating was also supported, but not in the way Sinan describes: rather, the rotation matrix was part of the list of parameters, auto-updated when you moved around your object.

Back then, few people seemed to be interested in them, so I removed Blender support when 2.5 came out. If there is a demand for it now, I could add it back in for 2.6x. The framework (Spyder) is already heavily used by Hive, and I re-use much of its code for panel editing.

No one seems to have followed up on this, but you can do this and more by using the averaging feature of snapping vertices - just press ‘A’ while moving the cursor to snap targets. This actually allows to even weight targets by clicking them more than once.
E.g. in edit mode drag a vert to target 1 click A, drag it to target 2 blender shows the halfway snap, click ‘A’ and blender shows the 2/3 snap. click ‘A’ again and Blender shows the 3/4 snap, go back to the first target and Blender offers the 3/5 snap etc. And they don’t have to be connected targets, so I can move things in object mode to the halfway etc. point between two others with just a couple of clicks.

@DruBan
thx for that info lol i had no idea something like this exist

When hide vertices and after unhide them, they are all selected (even when they are not selected at first place, “hide unselected”).
Usually you want them unselected when you unhide them. Maybe checkbox “select unhided vertices”.

one tiny small feature would be to improve Stamp, with options like having a menu to select

Top Left Top Right
Bottom Left Bottom Right

to be able to clean up the playblast, so you can select to have Eg. Filename up as now Top Right, but have Frame Bottom Right. etcetera.

I would like to be able to add my own icons to my AddOns. Currently as a python scripter all we have access to are the pre-installed icons that are in use for the Blender interface.

I can’t possibly be the only one to feel the need for a viewer node in cycles. Sure I can add a diffuse node and keep hooking up to it to see the intermediate results mapped to a temporary plane mesh in a render window and then unhooking and reconnecting but really - ? No one else wants this?

Is the material preview in the properties panel inadequate for your needs (because as far as I know the only limitation in it that prevents full usability is that the bounce count for the preview .blend is too low to render glass objects properly)?

Allow me to apply modifiers in edit mode FFS.

Why interrupt a texture bake when a feedback loop is detected? Sure warn me, but if it doesn’t negatively affect the image then let it be. Also how often does one want to include the baked to surface in the bake? Provide an option to exclude it.

DruBan, count me in for Viewer node.
I usually use emit to check some intermediate result. Not always end result is what one wants to see.

Nobody is missing any basic implementation of real NURBS and working Booleans? Apparently, there is a long way to go for me :slight_smile:

Mesh Edit mode:

Select > Side of active…
There should be “Distance” (threshold, difference) slider.

Eg.
Axis mode: Aligned Axis
Axis: X Axis
Distance: 3mm

UV’s mapping is great on blender, I like it and I work with it, but I think that can be much much better !

I have this plugin on Maya.

As you can see, the puppet to aligne the uv’s is really great and I use it. It’s like photoshop.
You add some points and the plugin aligne them. It’s really usefull !

Lattice will be great too !

And a very great feature in UVlayout with the R key to rectangulate uv’s.

http://www.headus.com.au/doc/uvlayout-expert/videos/UVLayout-Rectangles-and-Pipes.mov

A lot of people tend to hate on Maya’s UV layout system, but much of that hate comes from not understanding how to use it effectively. It is by far one of my favorites. I would love the option in Blender to at least select UVs in the same manner and consistency as the 3d viewport instead of having that completely different control scheme. I agree too that more powerful and or advanced tools for the UV system would be a huge boon to nearly all cg artist. UV Layout is by far one of the best UV applications money can buy.

Blender uv’s are great, need just some features like the R on uvlayout, the puppet, littice, snap etc.

That can be mutch mutch better and can speedup the workflow.

2 things, if only add-ons for previous version of blender available for all versions beyond that version (able to communicate)
and I WANT THE VOLUMETRIC TO BE DONE IN CYCLES!!! (it’s so annyoning)

This was, I believe, the original intention for the UI changes in GSOC, but the scope of the project was quickly determined too large.

We have Vertex Groups, but many times we need Face Groups.

Short example…

1. I want those 2 faces to Vertex Group, so 8 vertices are selected, assing them.
  2. Selecting that same Vertex Group and it selects 3 faces instead of 2, even they have no shared vertices.

I know you can do Face Groups with materials, but thats another story (and ball game).

Attachments