Linking object data without changing rotation and location?

Hi all,
Is it possible to link object data without changing rotation and location?

I basically applied mirror modifier, seperated all the joint parts and want to create instances (by linking mesh data). However object change rotation and location when I do this. How should I tackle this issue?

I also tried using copy transform constraint (temporarily copied my object for this) but couldn’t make it work.

Links to similar issues without a good solution

Question on Linking Object Data Without Resetting Object's Rotation

Linking Object Data Without Affecting Rotation

https://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/79322/linking-object-data-without-changing-rotation

Hi were you able to find a solution to this problem?

Hi @Siggiepop , I don’t exactly remember my use case or solution but after applying mirror modifier, creating mirrored mesh as seperate object and linking mesh data with other part, you can scale that new part/object negatively (so that it’ll be placed in the same place as mirror modifier). Does that suit your need?

Hi @filibis I was thinking about this last night and I came to the same solution, not quite as elegant but it works for my particular situation. I’d mirror and use a negative rotation for each object and flip the axis to continue modelling.

1 Like

I’d also like to add here that if you’re not using a mirror modifier and use link object data it won’t change the rotation / location, it seems it only does that if you’re using the mirror modifier.

1 Like

Hmm, that’s an interesting find. Same thing also happens with Mesh > Symmetrize in edit mode. I feel like this is happening because mirror and symmetrize are changing vertices location in edit mode. When copied in object mode, this issue doesn’t occur.

Remember that when you use a modifier and do not then create “separate objects,” there is only one thing: “the thing being modified.”

Yes definitely. To be clear me and @filibis both applied the mirror modifier then split the objects to be their own individual object, from there the problem that occurs is if you want to continue modelling but use a source object it will adopt the rotation of that source object.