Living & Dining Room Interior, Eevee

My first work with Eevee.
EDIT: got rid of the light bleed. I had forgotten to tweak the light properties for one light, out of dozens… the linear (area light) one above the tv.
(I had a serious artifact / light-bleed above the fireplace cabinet, but done with this for the time being.)

Credits:

• Several assets (decor) from Chocofur
  • Several assets (decor) from Evermotion
  • Most furniture from manufacturer sites, reworked. Including Molteni, Minotti, B&B italia, Flos, Luciplan
  • Achipack used for building setup
  • Instructional courses on Eevee, by Chipp Walters and Chocofur
4 Likes

Panorama 360, at 12X6K resolution

Link above, preview below:

While something like this would be regarded as a fairly average interior, I don’t think I’ve seen someone manage to pull off caustic effects in Eevee yet (as in this image).

How was the caustic effect done despite there being no official support for it?

I worked with the goal of architectural design, Eevee workflow and lighting technique, less so for the image as an artwork in itself, I know I lack as an image artist hope that conquering technique can speak for itself.
So I am glad about your comment about caustics! Please be more specific with your question and I will gladly reply to the point. (which part of the image?, as an example)
Thanks for your response.

There is also no official support for 360 panoramas and I’m particularly fond of having customized an alternative workflow that does the job efficiently.

In the meantime I discovered and got rid of the light leak.

If you are referring to the light patterns on the ceiling, above the dining table and that above the corner with armchairs, it’s not caustics, none are made of glass. The artichoke lamps, have scales of glossy material that reflect light as it comes through from the source at the heart, through the gaps. Similarly, the Arco floor lamp, has a chrome ball, shining down, but also up through a pattern of holes on the top of the ball.
I think those are your “caustics”?

What would you add, change, to improve it?

nice work !!!

Thank you!

1 Like

At first glance, it seems a little on the flat side when it comes to lighting. If possible, you might want to increase the resolution of the indirect lighting and see if that helps the image get better depth in spots.

And yes, those light patterns on the ceiling are the apparent caustics I was referring to, but it should be noted that there’s also such a thing as reflective caustics.

How so? Do you mean the number of sample points in the irradiance volume grid?

I was impressed with Eevee the way it rendered the reflective caustics! However, It renders a bit too sharp contrast, lacking ambience, so I tricked to improve it : I placed a second point light with a radius enveloping the whole light:

Below the settings for each, in short the inner light is in the location and size of the actual light bulb size and has the intensity to do almost all the lighting, the outer has the same center, enveloping the fixture on the outside and has a small additional intensity.

I don’t think refractive, glass caustics work, but reflective do!

I found out why rendering was flat! I had used a mesh to instance almost all the repeating light types.
Due to current limitations of Eevee, these lights (almost all in my case) were not casting shadows!

As the Blender 2.8 manual clearly states:

Limitations, Lights:
Shadows are not supported on light instances (dupli objects, group instancing).

Part of the same shot, without shadows from the ceiling spot lights (left) and with (right)

I will make all duplicates of lights real and re-render.
Ty @Ace_Dragon

HI,

Great follow-up on your previous posts :slight_smile:
I still have one point of critic, and that it still all looks very flat. There’s almost no contact shadows, making chairs or the book case ‘float’ from the floor.
Like before, I thing some AO comped in would help with this.

But great progress!!

rob

The shadows weren’t rendering because of the limitations of Eevee with instanced lights. This is is visible in the comparative images above.
You are right and ty.
Exactly the floating is pointed out by the arrows (under the chair) .
I will render the whole lot again. Thankfully Eevee is fast!

I re-did the panorama with corrected lighting too.

I also tried an evening view, no daylight through windows:

Another 360 Panorama, from the center of the room.

Nice!

The only small thing I would improve a bit on is to ‘dirty’ things up.
Whit that I mean bringing in some irregularities in shading/gloss for the large couches, walls and a bit more definition on the floor. They are still a bit flat imho.
Other than that really great follow up series :slight_smile:
rob

I added some new shaders, optimized for Eevee, for some materials in the scene.
Also Important Note to All Eevee Artists with Light Leak Problems:
I discovered that Emitter Shaders (with high intensity values) cause light leaks, even though they don’t contribute to apparent lighting in Eevee!
I had transferred some of the spot lights models, including emitter shaders, from work with Cycles. When transferring to Eevee I substituted the emitters with spot lights (or area lights, depending) but left the emitter shaders intact in the model. That was the cause of light leaks and weird over-exposures (despite not actually producing shadows and other proper lighting effects)
After the corrections above, I was able to get the following renderings with the default exposure=1 and gamma=1, whereas up to now I had been adjusting to get the perceived light/dark balance.
(Emitters were doing serious damage)

csimeon,

The biggest issue with your scene is their are almost no shadow defintion in most of the objects they are like floating in your scene without good shadows. Need good shadows for a realistic render.

I would recommend do Cycles render and look at the scene shadow definition. Add contact shadows and shadows with ambient occlusion and proper light settings. For shadows under sofas and other large items and nested irradiance probes see examples in Nested IRVs or Classroom tutorial.

Thank you, I have seen those. It may be that I have flooded the place with lights from most all directions:

• Dozens of ceiling light sources
  • Cove lights at the curtain recesses
  • Sunlight
  • Area lights in all windows (like portals)
  • And some floor and pendant lights

I think more dramatic, with fewer lights might help. And yes I will try a Cycles render for comparison.
The settings are like the ones you say in the examples (I think, I watched and read a lot to do my first Eevee).

I’ll look again when I have time.