Local QRCode addon Updated

I just updated the Local QRCode addon to 2.80.

It lets you generate a QR code mesh without one of those sketchy QR code sites. You can embed whatever text you want in it.

As an added bonus, it worked great with Decal Machine back in 2.79. Hopefully it’ll work the same once Decal Machine updates to 2.80.

If you want a normal barcode version of this, I recommend this 3 of 9 font. If you want to use it, remember to start and end with a * symbol. The Code 39 barcode type apparently uses them as start and stop delimiters.

I’m pretty sure I did everything right with the update, and it works for me, but It’s the first time I’ve touched blender python or addon code. I have no idea how it works under the hood. Luckily, all I needed to do was rename the class to follow the new naming convention, change to the newer method of registering, and change the add mesh menu name to the new one. Let me know if there are any problems.

add_mesh_local_qrcode1.2.zip (56.9 KB)

3 Likes

Good idea, this could also be used to generate city scape if oen could plug it as a texture for displacement :slight_smile:

I don’t think that would work as is because it generates a mesh, not a texture. I believe somewhere in the addon there is a library for generating textures that are then converted to a mesh somehow. It might be possible to use the generator for textures as well. I have no idea how that could be done tho. I’ll have to take a closer look.

You could probably get a city effect by scaling the mesh up and adding a solidify modifier. It’s probably not optimal for ground level shots as all the buildings would be touching at the corners.

edit: I’ve looked into it, and the QR Code generation library is able to output svgs, pngs, python matrices, and probably other things. I just have no idea how to hook that into Blender’s image generator.

awesome!

I like it! Thank you!