looking for a open source pro-tools daw alternative

Here is a few pointers:

1. run oostudio-2012 from the command line and under the downloads tab install the samples.
  2. run jack
  3. run oomidi-2012
  4. add a track, select an instrument
  5. enter draw mode, add a part, click enter
  6. You should be making music

Have fun and you can always get help from us in irc at irc.freenode.org #openoctave.

You can also just use our web chat client here:

http://www.openoctave.org/irc

Thank you very much for the info!

The tube guys (Bassam) is going to evaluate Open Octave Studio when we reach our 2012.1 stable. I will keep in contact with him. We met last year at Siggraph.

As for the fundraiser, we are acctually going to run a specific one just for porting to Windows. We are porting money or not but we could use the help :slight_smile: The next fundraiser is going to be an open ended one that we run our self.

Lets keep in touch and anything we can do for you just let us know. Us Canadians have to stick together! :slight_smile:

More audio functionality in Blender would be a perfect solution for most of us!

But http://www.openoctave.org/2012_roadmap does look great too!

Is it also possible to record (and clean up) with Open Octave Studio?
(Voice actors / Foley / FX / Acoustics)

Ok I donated 100,-
Let’s hope they will integrate (or already have integrated) audio recording+ clean and hopefully a Blender interaction setup will be possible once the video tracks will be supported.

I hope you too are willing to help them out! :wink:

Hi ccherrett, I’m glad to here that you’ve already had contact with Bassam that can only be a good thing:)

Making it multi-platform is a big plus as well, I personally use windows/linux at home and OSX at work so being able to work/open projects where ever I am is huge, that’s one of things I love so much about Blender.

I’ll certainly pop into the IRC from time to time, most likely sooner than later, I’m a bit green when it comes to Linux:) Lastly I’ll make my best attempt to find that documentary I mentioned to you, you’d love it.

take care eh:)

@ccherrett While multi platform is awesome will it be a portable app. like Blender? Does it have jack support for Blender?

+1! I agree on this: multi platform is very important (expands the community and brings open source to those surrounded by closed doors). :smiley:

Yes it already supports jack transport and can sync with blender, you just need to set blender’s timeline to “AV Sync”

Enjoy!

Yes it is already possible to do vocals, fx, foley. We do however have plans to greatly enhance to tools. In the end we are doing this to have a professional tool set for score, folley and mix surround for movies.