Low Poly Graveyard Game Ready Assets Pack WIP Thread

:rofl: maybe end of May?

2 Likes

I’ve been burned by this so many times, at this point I set my deadline for everything at least two years out and reduce down as needed :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

That’s very realistic approach :rofl: . Realistically speaking I’m thinking that I’m ~3-4 work-weeks away now from finishing it up. But other distractions and scope creep might get me in the meantime :sweat_smile: So who knows how long those 3-4 work weeks take in real time…

1 Like

Slowly, but surly progressing further. First, I made a lot of colliders for those coffins. And a “demo” scene for them:

Also, I’ve been progressing on foliage. Some shrubs:

and some Ivies:

I’ve made a bunch of Ivy variants:

There are 2 heights and 2 density and 3 complexities (high and medium done so far). First one is mostly convenience for users. Density is how dense the leaves are. Complexity is how much triangle each individual leaf has. The difference from the most complex and dense to medium complex and sparse is: 1.6k triangles vs ~600 triangles. 1.6k doesn’t sound like much, but I’m making assumption that some people will want to use them in clusters, and that will add up quickly.

1 Like

So another update. Obviously missed the previous deadline, but the asset pack grew in the meantime quite a lot. Now sitting at 1489 models :sweat_smile:. Making low poly foliage was too fun, so I modeled quite a lot of it.

I’ve been trying to make the foliage “botanically correct”, or at least as close as low poly allows for (while taking some artistic freedom). And instead of going crazy with species, I decided to provide variation within species. Aside from extending ferns and ivies I did: nettles, dandelions, bluebells, foxgloves and wild garlic:

I did also a lot of mushrooms (83 :sweat_smile: ): Fly Agaric, Death Cap, Porcini, Shaggy Ink Cap, Girolle, Parasol Mushroom and couple of ‘generic mushrooms’.

I really liked how Girolles came out so I made this simple scene (in Unreal):

Next, trees. A lot of trees (154 models, incl. stumps, logs, branches). Still keeping to botanically correct ones and to what would make sense for a graveyard environment. I did pines, oaks, birches, and weeping willows only here.

Provided trees in different “growth stages”, from young to adult ones. The young ones are really hard to capture in low poly style. Took me quite a bit to wrap my head around those. Here is what I came up with:

The big ones, are really really big. I wasn’t consciously aware how big those trees can get. For example, here’s mature oak with a Manny to scale:

Some withered/creepy trees (I will most likely do a couple more of those):

And last, but not least stumps and logs:

It’s coming along nicely, and yesterday I build a scene out of it:

More here: Forgotten Graveyards - Low Poly Creepy Forest

As always everything works in Unity and Unreal. I’m 100% sure that I forgot about some stuff I did in last two months. Now that I’ve done around ~500 foliage models I’m thinking of releasing that as a separate asset pack before finishing the whole graveyard.

4 Likes

Very cool!

Yeah, I think a separate foliage pack is a good idea; nearly everyone can use that.

1 Like

Thanks! So I will spent next week trying to wrap the nature pack up, and submit it to the stores :slight_smile:

1 Like

Soo… I’ve submitted it to Unity Asset Store. It will take ~20-30 business day till it will be reviewed though… The pack has 779 models :sweat_smile:

I’m already working on a update (hopefully Unity people will notice it and just review that) as I “rushed” it and didn’t include demo map (just an overview map). It’s technically not a huge deal, but nice demo map will better showcase how to use the models and will allow me to create better screenshots and better video. From my last post I added a few models: some generic trees

(all following screenshots are from Untiy)

I added new grass (that is less polygons)

Added a few rocks:

And cliffs:

Some fences:

And campfires:

And a few ruined walls:

I was missing also reeds and water lilies:

Lastly, I’ve added a couple simple low poly bushes:

I’ve repurposed one of my island and made it into ‘nature’ islands for thumbnail/store screenshots:

So… I’m done with the nature pack, but still have work to do :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

The amount of work you’ve put into this is absolutely mind-boggling, and your results continue to be incredible :grin:

2 Likes

Thank you :hugs:

1 Like

Update time! The queue for Unity is sooo long… still more than 2k assets before me (judging by how it progresses, it will be published at the end of next month). So in the meantime I started working on Unreal version.

And obviously in the meantime I extended the pack with a few things… like those daisies (so now it’s 808 models):

I’ve made already similar demo island in Unreal:

But I still need to do a “proper” demo map showcasing more of the models… Shouldn’t take too long till I submit it to UE Marketplace…

2 Likes

Sometimes I hate all the quirks in unreal, but sometimes it still does surprise me with how awesome the lighting can be. I took this screenshot while working on the demonstration map:

2 Likes

It’s a LOT of work to make this map (and it’s only 200m x 200m of “playable” area)… but the views are great :grin:

2 Likes

Small update. Still working on the demo map. Was too hot this week to really focus fully, so only a little progress done. This is general map layout:

And current in editor view:

Yes, there are a lot of rocks :sweat_smile: I scattered about 5k of them yesterday (and I’m not done). Should probably learn more about PCG tools in Unreal to make it quicker, but foliage tool is also making that stuff not too slow to do (and leaves 100% artistic control).

Here are some screenshots from “Central Ruins” area (still not finished):

And three videos I made around those (for social media posting):

Now as big things are already placed and some 2ndary details as well around the map I plan to go area by area and add smaller things like grass, plants, bushes, tree branches, etc.

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing so much of the process; it’s quite interesting.

2 Likes

I’m really glad it’s useful for someone!

I should probably figure out some not intrusive way of recording stuff while I work on it and have some kind of more in-dept progress updates or maybe even some tutorials🤔

1 Like

Another small update. This time without renders. I finally finished the map. It took more than 40h of work :face_with_spiral_eyes:. 200m x 200m doesn’t seem like a lot, but for hand painting vegetation it is. Also, I knew that UE was great at handling large number of polygons, but I wasn’t aware how good it actually is. I’ve placed more than 1 million instances of vegetation of that map (majority of it is grass lump meshes). In UE 4.26, with fully dynamic lighting, in some areas it renders around 100M triangles (in ~8k draw calls) and I still get 60fps+. That 100M triangles are (I think) result of batching of foliage (I bet this can be optimized more). In UE5.21, when I turn nanite on - it’s 15-20k triangles at max with just a few draw calls (so… it’s basically “free”?). Those numbers are in editor in 3440x1440 on 3090.

Working now on videos and screenshots for UE marketplace page…

1 Like

(finally… it’s 5am…)

1 Like

Yay, congrats!

1 Like

Thank you! Here’s a sneak peak of a thumbnail:

Will share more as soon as it gets approved!

1 Like