LuxCoreRender v2.2

it’s here, as shared by rawalanche: Cycles Performance

You have to use your own hdri though

Yeah, I simply don’t want to go back to 2.79 aswell. Anyways is there any estimated release of Luxcore for 2.8?

2 Likes

No for the moment. but as luxcore is at some a bit differente from cycles at some point i will suggest you to just give it a try only for learning purposes .So when the 2.8 version of Blendluxcore is out will have a less brutal learning curve and feel confortable.

You can start to play arround with some small test scene.

2 Likes

I’ve believe 2.8 conversion will be realized once LuxCoreRender and/or 2.8 are out of alpha respectively beta, so it might take another while. :sob:

I get 3:25 in cycles using a single 1070 and the theory build.

2 Likes

Nice result Odin. please if i can ask you , how it look with sharper light and official blender 2.79 build ?

Thx for info, I generally don’t have that much of a problem in transition between render engines I did try a few of them already. I am not a top class in any of them but I am able to get to level I need for the work I do and IMO general rules are still same no matter what render engine you use.

Last 12 months has been a bit hell of a ride in terms of rising possibillities and I am still looking right and left to absorb all of them… :slight_smile: (2.8, Cycles improved, E-Cycles introduced, Octane and RTX, Octane free tier (we’ll see about that lol), Vray for Blender being quite cheap, Corona for Blender, and now Luxcore with pretty fast development).

Anyways I am patient person so I’ll wait till Luxcore is ready and then I am going to give it a go.

1 Like

Please LaciLaci can we have a link to your HDRi ?

I used same settings to match cycles no optimizations…

However :smiley:
this is a little bit of clamping and result of 1 minute! rendering on a single gtx 1060 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I wouldn’t dare use 2.79 its nearly useless compared to buildbot and especially the Theory build with dithered sobol and micro jitter scrambling (We have OIDN in the Theory build as well)

56 seconds using 2 1070s and a 2080 with OIDN

Here is the hdri I am using http://illuminatedtools.com/freeprobes/ext_LateAfternoon_Mountains_CSP/
Rotated 127.8 degrees on the z axis

1 Like

Please can you do it with official 2.79 and try to much Quality in your setting. Also we compare things without denoiser as a lot of people want to see clearly what is happening.

if you can also post your modified cycles version.

you have some weird colors going on, probably some weird optimization in cycles is killing sunlight bounces there…

here’s a 1 minute rendering + oidn on gtx 1060 with your hdri

it’s clearly much faster than cycles on interiors. This new indirect cache, how does it work in animations? any flickering? Does it support caustics? Object visibility flags? (sorry if i’m too curious)

Please try on the scenes of “lux”…

• Textures and Materials
  • Denoise image and Noise image

With out a doubt its much faster than cycles but cycles is also much slower than it has to be in its current 2.8 version. There are plenty of things already developed to speed up cycles but unlike the lux team the blender devs are horrified to add new features that have insane speed ups

3 Likes

At this point cache isn’t stable for animations (but it’s coming, don’t worry)

Luxcore does caustics if that’s the question there is also a special caustic caching in the works

Object visibility flags are also planned, probably in 2.3

I had a little too much simplify on the render. Didn’t notice it added so much blue

Please can you help me see something as reference. i beg you for a render without denoiser on a single 1070 withou any trick with official build of 2.79.

Just want to have a clear ref. please

It’s still slower(you are using better gpu) and you still have that color cast in shadows where the bookcase on side of sofa is. This is the ao simplify problem, caching does actual gi bounces instead of filling in the shadows.

I think that Blender foundation is making a good job. it is not perfect but it is really good. So the point for artists using opensource Software isn’t to have a single good option but plenty of alternative like other who prefer to work paid software :

The best for us will be to have __ luxcore + cycles + Yafaray + Appleseed + Eevee at the best quality speed possible.

Inside of the entiere opensource community relying on a single good engine. I told it before it isn’t a healthy situation.

3 Likes