Manuel Bastioni Lab, turns Blender in a laboratory for 3d humanoids creation

(I just discovered a little bug: if the scene contains an object (type MESH) with 0 polygons, it doesn’t show the selector.
Can check it?)

Hi Manuel,
I opened a low-poly forest scene by someone else. The selector appeared, and the add-on worked well. So apparently the bug does exist. Can you fix it?
Many thanks.

Yes, I will include the fix in the next version. In meantime, I suggest you to check the scene where it doesn’t work, because probably it contains an obj without faces.

Thanks again for your efforts and a great addon! Look forward to next version.

@manuel why isnt it possible to edit (add) more bones with the meshes ?
I would like to edit the mesh and add more bones, gives me errors on bone weight

Hi Manuel,

unfortunately it doesn’t work for me.

Win 7 64
Blender:
Hash:5af103f
From 14.01.2016

It is the Blender Zip-Version.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “E:\Blender_YAFARAY\2.76\scripts\addons\manuellab_init_.py”, line 400,
in draw
gui_mode = humanoid.check_humanoid(the_humanoid)
File “E:\Blender_YAFARAY\2.76\scripts\addons\manuellab\humanoid.py”, line 60,
in check_humanoid
if get_character_object():
File “E:\Blender_YAFARAY\2.76\scripts\addons\manuellab\humanoid.py”, line 48,
in get_character_object
if get_fingerprints(obj) in VALID_FINGERPRINTS:
File “E:\Blender_YAFARAY\2.76\scripts\addons\manuellab\humanoid.py”, line 36,
in get_fingerprints
f01 = [str(i) for i in obj.data.polygons[int(n_poly*0.3)].vertices]
IndexError: bpy_prop_collection[index]: index 0 out of range, size 0

File “E:\Blender_YAFARAY\2.76\scripts\addons\manuellab_init_.py”, line 400,
in draw
File “E:\Blender_YAFARAY\2.76\scripts\addons\manuellab\humanoid.py”, line 60,
in check_humanoid
File “E:\Blender_YAFARAY\2.76\scripts\addons\manuellab\humanoid.py”, line 48,
in get_character_object
File “E:\Blender_YAFARAY\2.76\scripts\addons\manuellab\humanoid.py”, line 36,
in get_fingerprints

I got it to work, as I have created my startup.blend from scratch.

What type of error?
It uses standard Blender bones, without special controllers or driver, so it should work everywhere.
Perhaps are you trying to use the Lab after a skeleton modification? In that case it’s normal: the poses are designed to work with the skeleton provided with the Lab.

Yes, it’s due to a bug that will be fixed soon, in next release. It happens when a scene contains a mesh object without polygons.

Just created a new gallery on http://www.manuelbastioni.com with some high quality infographics. The one below shows the support for anime in Manuel Lab 1.0. I’m already working on a new anime topology and more anime types for next release.

This would have been a non-issue if blender’s GUI supported drag-and-drop (I for one demand D&D for the GUI to require an unlocked state though, while others may differ in opinion, so it should be a Preferences thingy), and don’t forget custom editors. But regardless D&D, I for one do not want the navigation tab (in toolshelf) to be a tab, I want it visible at all times. This is only one of the reasons I want custom editors.

Sorry to be semi-offtopic, and not posting this to create debate and hijack the thread. It’s only meant as a “between the lines” to whom it may concern.

@Manuel

Thanks alot for this extensive addon. A problem though: export does not seem to create valid importable output. The exported json for me remains at the size of 526 bytes, regardless of what amount of tweakings I do (in parameters). Importing the json back does nothing either. Does the exporter have bug(s), or is it not really implemented yet ? Thanks.

This would have been a non-issue if blender’s GUI supported drag-and-drop (I for one demand D&D for the GUI to require an unlocked state though, while others may differ in opinion, so it should be a Preferences thingy), and don’t forget custom editors. But regardless D&D, I for one do not want the navigation tab (in toolshelf) to be a tab, I want it visible at all times. This is only one of the reasons I want custom editors.

Sorry to be semi-offtopic, and not posting this to create debate and hijack the thread. It’s only meant as a “between the lines” to whom it may concern.

@Manuel

Thanks alot for this extensive addon. A problem though: export does not seem to create valid importable output. The exported json for me remains at the size of 526 bytes, regardless of what amount of tweakings I do (in parameters). Importing the json back does nothing either. Does the exporter have bug(s), or is it not really implemented yet ? Thanks.

Ok, the problem with exporting coincides with a bug in the addon where at some point in your interaction with it, something breaks and whenever you try to apply some pose/expression/whatever, some part of the mesh gets severly corrupted, and even if you ‘undo’ and try again (pose/expression/whatever) again, the mesh gets corrupted each and every time.

Obviously I have no clue what causes it, but whether related or not, there seems to be some integration issues with blender’s history stack. I just imported an exported character, and having applied some poses/etc, then ‘undo’ (ctrl+z), and it completely deletes the object/character. If I’m remembering correctly, those times where the export was corrupted, which seemed to coincide with the mesh getting corrupted, I had done some history backing when doing some tweaks to the character. That’s all info I have for now.

I’m on blender 2.76b 32-bit, Windows 7 32-bit Home Premium.

Just wanted to thank you for this add on Manuel. I know it’s a 1.0 product and you’re apparently working on it by yourself so no complaints from me on missing functionality. I look forward to its further development.

To make it very stable, only some base transformations are included in the stack, but it should never corrupt the mesh…
It would be useful if you provide me the dos console output during the weird behaviour, or at least the exact sequence of steps to reproduce the issue.

Thank you a lot!!
It was a so huge effort to create it…I need feedback to improve it, but some kind “thank you” sometime are VERY, VERY IMPORTANT!

I’m working to complete the anime modifier, adding the male character, improving the topology, and add more expression units.
It will be included in the next release.

Then I have to decide if add some rigging tools or the skin editor.
Probably I’ll do the skin editor, since it’s a tool completely new in Blender.

I haven’t used it today, but I used it a few hours after my last comment. Loaded the saved character preset and played around, but didn’t suffer any mesh corruptions that time (but 2-3 previous sessions it did happen). If it happens again I’ll be providing feedback.

Btw, will this addon and MakeHuman be synced in functionality ? that is, will this in the future simply be a Blender addon sharing the same tools with MakeHuman, the latter which will simply be a standalone ?

And yes, thank you very much for your efforts.

And the thank you from the Poser/Studio (ex)users crowd could not be bigger :yes:.

Yes, definitely, because currently UVs and textures are the main issues that prevent those characters to be used as non-background characters. Here you can find seam guides for currently popular meshes from the Poser/Studio community. For copyright reasons you cannot match them 1:1 but if you design things to make texture conversion less painful, the better.

Again, lots of thanks.

Also, to stay safe, you can save directly the blend file too.

When possible some features will be ported to MakeHuman (for example the new algorithm for proxy fitting) but most of them will remain on Manuel Lab only, because they would require to rewrite the MH core.

And yes, thank you very much for your efforts.

Thank you :slight_smile:

My intention is to stay away from Poser and other commercial software.
The skin editor will rely on procedural approach, special layers textures and smart shader.
I will design some 100% original UV layers for the different LOD.

Thank you!

An update to show you the improvements of anime models (this means that I’m also remodelling the morphing database for them…). Larger resolution available at http://www.manuelbastioni.com/wip_110001_anime_topology.php

I see. A few more questions:

1. Are you personally withdrawing from MH development ?
  2. Will ML implement MH’s relatively granular (create-time) shape morphs in the future ?

Thank you :slight_smile:

You’re welcome !

Hi - I’m running on a Mac with OS X 19.11.3. I started blender 2.76b from a terminal. I’m showing the same problem as chloesdad - that is, the ManuelLab tab shows up in the Tools tab, but there are no buttons under the “Manuel lab 1.0” selector at the top. The terminal output here was generated by starting blender, then clicking once on the ManuelLab tab in the Tools tab. I hope this helps. I’m really looking forward to being able to use this!

ndof: 3Dx driver not found
2016-02-14 23:24:34.338 blender[68805:1269768] ApplePersistence=NO
Read new prefs: /Users/schalmer/Library/Application Support/Blender/2.76/config/userpref.blend
found bundled python: /Applications/blender-2.76b-OSX_10.6-x86_64/blender.app/Contents/MacOS/…/Resources/2.76/python
File “/Users/schalmer/Library/Application Support/Blender/2.76/scripts/addons/manuellab/init.py”, line 400, in draw
File “/Users/schalmer/Library/Application Support/Blender/2.76/scripts/addons/manuellab/humanoid.py”, line 60, in check_humanoid
File “/Users/schalmer/Library/Application Support/Blender/2.76/scripts/addons/manuellab/humanoid.py”, line 48, in get_character_object
File “/Users/schalmer/Library/Application Support/Blender/2.76/scripts/addons/manuellab/humanoid.py”, line 36, in get_fingerprints

File “/Users/schalmer/Library/Application Support/Blender/2.76/scripts/addons/manuellab/init.py”, line 400, in draw
File “/Users/schalmer/Library/Application Support/Blender/2.76/scripts/addons/manuellab/humanoid.py”, line 60, in check_humanoid
File “/Users/schalmer/Library/Application Support/Blender/2.76/scripts/addons/manuellab/humanoid.py”, line 48, in get_character_object
File “/Users/schalmer/Library/Application Support/Blender/2.76/scripts/addons/manuellab/humanoid.py”, line 36, in get_fingerprints