Maritime Downloads - Sailing Ships and Coastal - Section 2

26 Nov 2019.

Links to zipfiles will removed as wordpad with the terms and details no longer seems to open using windows 10

2 Likes

Links to zipfiles will removed as wordpad with the terms and details no longer seems to open using windows 10

Sloop leaving the end of the wood pier heading towards the ‘busy’ docks to berth. B

This will be the format for all the future routes. That completes the 2nd route. All routes I regard as completed as unlike a game there are endless ways to make martime routes as each route is different. I won’t post about the routes on the demo and work in progress section unless of course for relevant discussion. Each zip file should contain a description, detail page, unless I forget to enclose it.
Nice to see the shipyards busy again, so double grog for the sailors (smile).

The ‘busy’ looking docks.

3 Likes

Maryport

Maryport. The schooners are blocked in and the two of them will take a while to ease their way out of schooners.
I set the length of time to 1000 seconds animation for the two schooners in the timeline. B.

5 Likes

1 Like

See following posts. B

L

1 Like

Downloaded to test it.
If using the schooner you need to thread your way through the dock gates and channel by going very slowly and pehaps keep more to the left. B

It can be done but might need a few tries.
B

I won’t be updating any routes that I have uploaded.
Not for Commercial use.
Use at your own risk.
All routes free!

P.S. Added steamships to thread heading.

B

Time for another pause until I decide what to do!

Just a brief update.
Another try at making a steamship as using the scaled up hull of sailing barge.

After a few hours no go, so we stay mainly in the world of sail. Might include paddlers.
So to narrow the choices further. Obviously there is very little interest in the drivable vessels, so as they are combined with scenarios that is now no go. Size of route is a problem maybe 20 km, one decimate click, replace seabed with 4 vertices sheet.
Preset routes and animations and keys 1 to 9 maybe and would like 9 animations in each route. Will try it in next route.
and if works I will start making alternative routes, also combined with instancing should make interesting routes (at least for myself and possibly for a few others).
Finally I don’t know the true figure for people downloading but it is not confined just to to these forums.
Age of Sail is a busy world (smile).

B

Been trying out the various alternatives at 30 and 40 km size routes. Also replace seabed with 4 vertices flat plane. Using decimate. However each choice has problems as max. file size 5 megs. Finally come to a solution 12 to 15 km seems to be the best choice. No decimate needed and no need to replace seabed, using instancing on most objects.

Maybe leave ships at drivable and floating making them all floating using rigid body and forget the static preset routes. I will give it a try. I might add the occasional jetties/piers if appropriate and no sailing ship harbours.

After numerous experiments the procedure I have decided on is as follows…Some extra routes will be made to fill in the gaps even if no harbours on them.
Vessels will now be mainlly drivable and floating static (maybe drift a little). Additional houses and trees will be added using instancing and all zipped files will be under the limit of 5 meg. Using 2.79b as it contains all the functions that I need to make these routes.

I will be going through all the routes gradually, They will be renumbered and renamed , uploaded, and will run in a contnuous sequence starting from the Solway Firth.
Era pretend age of sail. up to early 1800s.
Whether there is any interest to forum members is up to you. Not important, as they are read worldwide. I will also be giving details and descriptions enclosed in the zip file.
Thanks
Barry

The Solway
Added drivable sloop and trees.
Upload withdrawn as it has a problem.
Won’t be re-uploading it.

B

About 40 routes I think on maritime downloads pages 1 and 2 to download.
I have decided it is not worth the effort making ships to run on preset tracks.
I have found the best method is for me to limit size to about 12km which avoids using decimate and juggling with removing seabeds, etc. I will put maybe 3 or 4 drivable vessels in each route and add 100s of trees and many ‘floating’, static vessels. File size has to be limited to under 5 meg.
I will possibly make a few versions of Liverpool docks c1800 to 1815 maybe. I might add grass texture allong rivers, etc. I could possibly add scenario for ships to ‘collect’ cargo etc from the different quays but only ‘if requested’. B

1 Like

i have put the download of Liverpool docks back onto this page.
[

B

I will keep to this completed section for the simulations (games). This is page 2 of the two pages of downloads about 40 or so under 5 meg each.
I am starting a new sequence of large size routes at about 40 km square. Starting again from the Solway Firth. It’s a case of adapting to the situation. All routes are under 5 megabyte zipped. Size approx 40 km, 25 mile square. Up to route 3 in this new sequence which is the framework to build the route on. I am building the framework first then add objects, boats, trees, etc. When each is ‘completed’ I will make each one available for download on this page and they will run in a sequence along the coastline, starting from the Solway Firth. Example of framework for route 3 Morecambe bay. Era age of sail up to about 1815. Using 2.79b as easy for others to download from the archives and a complete program with all the functions I need.

P.S. Whether I continue or not with this I am undecided (for obvious reasons), as already made 40 or so maritime routes for download.
B

morecambebay .

1 Like

Rivers at the top of Solway Firth.
One drivable sailing flat.
Any future routes I make I will keep the textures basic for the merged colours rather than photo textures etc.
I think this last route looks quite good with just merged textures using 3DEM and the Gimp.

To continue with the routes I would need to concentrate on just one feature or harbour, not trying to include several harbours in the route. Routes to avoid decimate function up to max. of approx. 16 km. Also I can keep seabed to alter at a later date maybe rather than replacing with flat 4 vertices sheet.
I could do with making some churches, pubs, etc. Maybe add some roads using sections and Alt plus D to duplicate.

B.

1 Like

Rockcliffe and river Eden at the head of the Solway Firth

1 Like

Revised version of Solway Firth to restart the coastal series.

Using instancing so the revised versions will probably have more detail.
Port Carlsle nowadays only has a silted up remanant of the old harbour, built c 1820. Keeping (pretend) up to about 1815. originally known as Fshers Cross so added as small fleet of sloops. Floating static. One drivable at jetty.

The other area along the river Eden at Rockcliffe added jetty and drivable sailing flat.

Roaming camera for Fishers Cross leave the river Eden and straight on following coastline towards clump of trees.

If you want small scenarios you would need to post to let me know.

1 Like