Material id from Blender to Marmoset

Hi,

this is my first time trying to assign material id to my mesh and then have that material id the same in Marmoset.

I have one mesh with multiple materials, but no matter what I do in Blender Marmoset doesn’t bake the material id correctly.

I tried using vertex color, I tried creating different materials and then assigning them to specific parts of the mesh. It doesn’t work. Marmoset will bake some random colors and I can’t texture small details separately from the rest of the mesh.

Could anyone explain what I should do? Thanks

Hi,

What’s your render engine in Blender? Eevee?

yes, Eevee

Can you show your nodes for that mesh?

I don’t have any nodes setup

But how did you make that model in Blender if you said you have one mesh with multiple materials?

oh, they were separate at some point, but after uv unwrapping and triangulation, I joined them.

I mean can you show me your shader nodes for that object in your Shading tab? What’s in there currently?

Okay, are you sure your materials are named properly?

I don’t know what properly means. I named them according to the part of the mesh that they are assigned to.

Yeah, I see, well at least it’s not blablabla123

I’ve just found that one video, try to watch. Maybe it will help you.

ok, I will watch this. Thank you

1 Like

Hmm, it doesn’t cover the problem that I have. He didn’t even bake Material ID in Marmoset, he left that box unchecked.

What I’m trying to do is have different textures for every part of the mesh. But Mamoset won’t take into consideration the color id maps I created in Blender. Actually I don’t even know if I’m doing it right.

Just found this thread about similar problem, IDK if it’s exactly what you’re looking for, but you can give it a try.

Seems to me that this one’s gonna help you

thanks for eveything

No problem!

Are you working with Marmoset Toolbag, is that right?

yep, that’s right

1 Like

OK…It looks as if you already have your mesh with a different Material assigned to each part… and I assume a good UV map…

Next, you should take and Join it into a single mesh… You should see that the materials all are shown in the material properties…

Select the object and export it as FBX, do not send any texture files with it…

On import to Toolbag, you should see something like this…

That is basically now your ID map set to each material to work on in Marmoset…if you set this to BAKE it will assign it own color to each part which is expecting High and Low poly Meshes, with these materials assigned to a non-UV’ed High Poly Mesh which you don’t have…

This way you can get to those small parts, and texture them in Toolbag, using the layers masks and all the bells and whistles…by using the materials you set in Blender…

Hey,

I already have all of the parts joined together. I have one object. Maybe that’s what’s causing the issue. I assigned the materials at the end, after joining. Then in edit mode I selected linked mesh and assigned the material manually for each part.

Do I have to assign the materials just for the high poly?

Going back to Marmoset, I chose to bake Material ID. It doesn’t look like in your example. What exactly did you do to be able to see all of those colors?

I’m sorry, I’m so confused.

Mine looks like this.

I can clean up this mess, I just don’t get all of the steps.

later edit: UVs are ok, packed with UVPAckmaster