Material Pipeline 1.0 is Now Free

Nope the plugin is licensed under GPL. However, the Textures themselves are Royalty Free. Pretty standard fare.

You could have read the license page instead of pointing fingers. http://www.onelvxe.com/material-pipeline-licenses/

For which software is this license then? http://www.onelvxe.com/material-pipeline-licenses/

I did and red this and many other restricting parts: “Can modify source-code but cannot distribute modifications (derivative works)”. And I’m just asking, not pointing fingers. I’m not a lawyer so I don’t understand the implications when GPL license is mixed with sentences like the one above. Note that English is not everyone’s mother tong either :wink:

Oh boy… have you consulted before posting that online?

Note about Blender:
LICENSE DETAILS
The source code we develop at blender.org is default being licensed as GNU GPL Version 2 or later. Some modules we make are using more permissive licenses though, for example the Blender Cycles rendering engine is available as Apache 2.0.

Blender also uses many modules or libraries from other projects. For example Python uses the Python License; Bullet uses the ZLib License; Libmv uses the MIT License; and OSL, a BSD License.
All the components that together make Blender are compatible under the newer GNU GPL Version 3. That is also the license to use for any distribution of Blender binaries.

Basically whoever buys your nodes, can sell, distribute, share… free as one chooses, excluded are artistic, copyrighted works (photos, textures, sounds, models…)… your license can’t change this.

@burnin I understand that. The shader and nodes are basically “free”. However, I’m selling 100 PBR Materials that composed entirely of image based textures. As such, they are Royalty Free Licensed and can’t be modified and re-distributed or sold. The materials don’t work without the textures, period.

People, unless Ivxejay used Blender’s source code in his work, he is free to sell it and not give out the source code at all…

From https://www.blender.org/support/faq/

Can I use Blender commercially?

Yes you can. Any creation you make as an artist with Blender is your sole property, and can be applied for any purpose you choose to. This also applies the Add-ons and Python scripts you write for Blender.

Back on topic: @Ivxejay, are there any organic materials in this collection? I didn’t see any, but as you said there are 100 haha.

@thedaemon There really aren’t. These are mainly for ArchViz. There is a skin shader, and wax, but that’s about it. Organic Materials really require photoscans to get right. There will be updates and expansions in the future though, and there will definitely be organic materials :slight_smile:

Use Promo Code: aeroah for $10 off!

$10 off sale will last one more week! Get it while you can!

Labor Day sale until 9/9

At the conclusion of 2016, ONELVXE Material Pipeline’s price will increase to $99.99 USD.

Will you also make a material pack based on the Disney shader implementation that will soon land in master?

Not that I am answering the question, but the materials work with Disney Shaders, I’ve tested with RenderMan’s Disney shader.

The $10 off sale is still working :slight_smile:
Can’t wait to try it !

Will you also make a material pack based on the Disney shader implementation that will soon land in master?

The materials work with the Disney Shader. To be fair, the uber shader in the ONELVXE Material Pipeline is “essentially” the exact same thing as the Disney Shader that is being merged in trunk. Under certain scenarios, the ONELVXE Shader is also faster.

Seems like an very nice robust ubershader solution to me. Without having used it by myself (sorry i have my own solutions for that stuff)- some things that came to my mind.

1. What is the purpose of the Texturing Surface node? It seems the only thing it does is the normalmapping+ optimization which could have easily find a place in the shadernode itself. It would make much more sense if you could controll some things like contrast, power, strength etc of the individual maps though.

2. since real glass usually doesn’t have a “tint” but in Blender terms a volume absorption color, it should have a volume output and don’t tint the glass at all bur rather use absorption for it imo. Also having a “Refraction depth” option would have been nice.

3. As far as I know, some patches ago an optimization for mix shader was implemented in cycles which makes it not have to calculate the unused shader when using a factor of 1 or 0 - so having that much outputs is probably not really an advantage i terms of flexibility.

3.1 Why use an extra output for Anisotropic Metal? The tests i made showed, that the Anisotropic shader is exactly the same as glossy with anisotropy set to 0 and i dodn’t notice any changes in performance (I might be wrong here).

1. Sheen and transluency would be nice.

2. This material allows the most physically correct materials, but in cg the option to fake some effects is also very nice to have. Some “unphysicall” effects i like to use for example are:

• “gain” which gives some nice artistic controll over how bright objects are in the scene without using non existent light linking (multiply the incoming light a shader recieves ( RGBmix set to multiply and factor to 1. Then a number value (also more than 1 possible) linked to the second color controlls the gain). I made a post on ba on this a while ago but used a unneccesary complex method here
  • opacity for more spookyness.
  • shadow color and intensity (using the Light Path “is shadow ray)” and an transparent node)
  • specular tint
  • emission
  1. Maybe it would been an option to have two shader nodegroups. One for most common physically based needs that you would use in Archviz and stuff and another advanced one with all the advanced and non physicall effects.

2. Using the Roughness value as it is is a bit unintuitive because you mostly have to use extremely low values for most materials. If you take the input roughness^2 (Math - Power node set to 2) it is much more intuitive to use because 0.1 actually looks like 0.1 Roughness. (This is also the Methos used in Disneys Shader as they explain here (Page 15 ca 2/3 bottom of the Page)

3. Just a thought but probably over the top: Pixar’s PxrSurface Shader in Renderman allows to use the shader as “Layer” - so for example instead of using a diffuse shader as base you use an input shader so you can for example use the pipeline as Reflection and SSS Layer on an existing material. Sure you would also need a slider then for switching between layered and non layered mode.

I think even with the Disney BRDF coming to Blender soon, this Shader + Material Library could become a nice option for production studios.

End of year Sale! The price for this product will increase going into the New Year. Get it while you can!

It’s still going!

Use Promo Code: aeroah for $10 off!

Just got ONELVXE Pipeline addon for promo price. :cool:

bump: see main post for update