McDo

I present to you the modern worker.
He has had three accidents on his steel-cutting machine, the last one leaving a scar on the right side of his face, on the jaw.
He also plays warcraft, starcraft, old nintendo games.
He has a 64 bit computer running Ubuntu and likes to do blender modeling.
I await your comments.

Attachments

the eyes look a bit slanted on the outer side

It looks great!
The cheeks need more definition, they need to be pushed forwards a bit, and the throat needs deeper scuplting, but that’s all for me. Keep going!

Thank you for both your comments. I will do it and repost the image.

gregzaal
I’ve done a bit of work on the eyes. I would be very interested in having your opinion.
Meanwhile, I will work on cheeks and throat.

Uhm… i cant remember what the old eyes looked like - it’s better to post every update in its own reply, instead of updating the first post.

I think the outer edges of the eyes should be moved up a little more - in line with the pupil (according to your reference)
And the lips… its hard to explain… but the outer parts of the lips look like they’re bulging out - like he’s been stung by a bee or something :stuck_out_tongue: - i know its hard to notice on the reference, but i think its only the middle of the lips that bulge like that. push those outer bits back in towards the face, but not by too much that he’s pulling a kissy face :wink:

oh and there are some strange verticle lines on his neck… maybe you haven’t modeled that properly yet.

otherwise its looking good… i’m beyond terrible at organic modeling… lol… my first face looked more like i’d tried to wrap a plastic bag over his face… and failed that as well :stuck_out_tongue: lol

I really appreciate all your comments.
I was under the (apparently mistaken) impression that we could only post 3 pictures in the WIP.
I learned by doing the ‘modeling the female head’ tutorial by Jonathan Williamson. Since then I’ve done two heads, of which this is the second. I still have a lot of difficulty visualizing the finished product and controlling which way my vertexes and loop cuts go.
Also, when I model in blender and then render, what seemed OK turns out crummy in the render. Probably because of the perspective.
Anyway, again I appreciate your help. I am reworking the eye again and will post the result.

Here, I’m really struggling with the eyes. Especially with that fold that comes down over the eyelids. Also, I reworked the bags beneath the eyes.

Attachments

Thats pretty sweet! Planning on texturing?

Yes, but I want to learn proper modeling first, without the distraction of textures. Also, with multi-layered SSS and hair the renders become time-heavy.

Could you post a link to the tutorial u used? i’d like to try head modeling :smiley:

There is one thing that looks a bit odd… but i’m typing this on my phone, so it would be hard to explain. So when i get onto a computer, i’ll see what i can do.

I got it here:
http://montagestudio.org/dvds/
I also purchased the dvd on creating the female body, but I am waiting to learn the first one thoroughly before doing it.
I am eagerly awaiting your comments. I am a bit slow, but I take all comments seriously.

Eye worked some on the mouth, cheeks, neck and so on. I must be going blind, because I don’t see it anymore.
Any comments appreciated.

Attachments

You did a great job, it looks same as those photos. :yes:

OK. So I guess it is a go for the skin texture.
Any comments on the model still welcome.

Nice work! I did a quick paintover with some ideas for improvements. One of the main things (that I see quite often) just stems from your reference. Your head is tilted slightly up in the front view photo, which coupled with the foreshortening and lens distortion from the camera makes the main facial features look bigger than they actually are. As a result the face is looking a bit big for the head. As a general rule the eyes should be at the halfway point of the height of the head. If you look at your reference it doesn’t appear that way, but that’s only because of the points I mentioned.

Always remember when using ortho ref that it can trick you if you aren’t careful, always make the final call on whether something looks right yourself and don’t be afraid to deviate from your reference.

I’ve highlighted a couple of other issues too, but checking overall proportions will make a big difference on its own.

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/764/paintoverr.jpg

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/9630/paintover2.gif

Good drawing, but there are some flaws. Most parts are improved, but the face and ear seems too small. I dont have time (or a computer) to do a draw-over

Sorry it took me so long to respond. I had to earn a living. (I drive a taxi) I like your comments and will start by straitening out the head and adjusting the position of the eyes nose and mouth.

Now I want to do the rest of the comments.

Attachments

ben
I really like your artistic sense.