Measure around an object like a measuring tape?

I thought this would be a lot more simple than it has been. I’m trying to measure the length of a line that goes around an entire object.

For example, I am trying to measure around the top of a human head in order to see if a hat would fit. Like this image:

I can measure individual lines of two points, but I can’t figure out how to measure the length of a line which wraps around an object,

You can use a circle. When you create a circle you can have the diameter in the “Transform / dimensions”. So to get the Circumference (The length of the circle) you just do: pi*d (pi is 3,1415 and d is the diameter).
Hope that helps.
(note: Blender use meters as unit of reference. i.e. a default circle is 2m diameter).

I ended up using this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmJr7iMzYyg&t=37s&ab_channel=AmitMourya

You can find the length of a curve without doing math. I used a circle with the shrinkwrap modifier to conform it to the mesh, then converted it to a bezier (important) curve and used the method in the video to find the length.

2 Likes

One simple method is using Curve Tool (already included in Blender, just activate it). Select the edge, duplicate it and convert it to Bezier curve.
Then open N panel and just press LENGHT in Curve Info panel.

The Measure It addon can sum up selected edges like so:

1 Like

Or the poor first addon i ve done. Based on edge length calculation.

2 Likes

Make your own, with Geonodes?

Hope that helps

1 Like