Medieval Market Hall, Real Time

I’m going to model this building, taking artistic license here and there. My goal is not to create an exact replica. I’ve got detail pictures showing underneath the building, and the stairs. It will be modeled in a medium poly format, for use in newer style “next gen” games, though I’m not modeling it for any game in particular. All screens and the final product will be screens from the Blender GE.

Step 1: Sketchup, to create elevations. I’ll work out the dimensions based on that guy leaning against the pole in the center. I’ll assume he’s 5’7" (with the decrease in his height because he’s leaning factored in, which may make him 5’10" standing straight).

Attachments

I dunno, he looks 5’9" to me :wink:

Looking forward to seeing this one pan out :slight_smile:

Thanks. Ok, actually step zero complete. In photoshop, I created a copy of the photo on a new layer so that I can move it around. I adjusted the grid so that it was a bit taller than the guy (well, 4 grid units), who I INSIST is 5’10", or 70", a nice round number. I dragged the image around until the grid lined up with the bottom of his feet and a bit over his head - my 70" guesstimate. Now I can judge some basic proportions as shown, using the support column he’s leaning on, which I put at 17.5" x 160", Following the pole up, I can judge that the second story is about the same height as the first. In the image, the grids are 1/4 of 70", or 17.5" each. Next I’ll create a sketchup of that elevation, using the PS image as a guide, and using some artistic license. Unfortunately, I can’t seem to find a dead straight on shot of the building, so there will be some guess work involved. But I think I’ll know when it looks right.

Attachments

Step 1 done, sketching out the basic proportions. That took a while. Very educational. My guesses at some things were close, others way off. Using that guy to establish overall scale was very useful. As I said, It’s not exact. It’s an interpretation.

Attachments

Wow, you are giving this much thought. But then you probably aim to be as realistic as you can get. I just start out modeling in the proportions that look right to me. So far that worked out for me.
Can’t wait to see your progress.

damn alot of works has obviously gone into the planning :slight_smile: look forward to seeing what you do with it :slight_smile:

A thoughtful way to model. You can adjust perspective in PhotoShop too, so you could produce straight versions of some of the building’s walls with a bit of work. However it is a lot of work and for this project you are better off doing it the way you have so far.

Thanks all. That drawing took maybe 2.5 hours, so not a ton of planning really. I could just start modeling like I’ve done in the past, but I end up wasting so much time, I thought I’d do it like it was a job. I am a furniture designer, so I’m always drawing this sort of thing, for my own pieces and for others. I’ve got the column and the arches modeled and textured (I already had the material setup). I may decide to reduce the poly count a bit - everything is bevelled, but the newer games I’m seeing have really high poly count buldings. This one should be under 10,000 faces (2504 so far), maybe even 5-7k. Edit: Just noticed an unnecessary edge loop that will get rid of 128 faces.

Attachments

wow its coming on really quickly lol :slight_smile: are you using an array modifier or is it all modelled manually?

Well, there are just 3 parts, no array mod. I’m still playing with what I just posted. Found some extra faces. About done with the bottom section now though. Don’t worry, i’ll get bogged down somewhere…

lol well if we can help then we will :slight_smile:

My problem is that I know how things go together. And knowing that, I tend to get bogged down making buildings as they would actually be built. Good and bad. Trying to work out the structure of the first story now (above ground). My picture references are not very clear on that, so I’m just going to do it as I’d build it.

yeah i can imagine, I find it hard to get my head around hard surface modelling for that reason. I try to think how stuff would click together and end up getting stuck in it. I did try and do a cottage a which was a similar style but i couldnt get it to look right

waaa i’m so jealous. Ahahah nicely done! it’s coming up very quickly and good looking. Then we may share our models and create a medieval town, that would be nice, wouldn’t it? Of course I’m not as good as you are but I’m following your examples. And thanks for the PM, that stuff’s crazy, I’ll take a thorough look at it now.

More progress. The floor framing is roughed in. It’s a bit of a pain because it’s all beveled and all the beams are bent a bit to give them life (important), so I have to go back and make them connect here and there. Manorial - Thanks, but don’t get down on yourself. I’ll send it to you when it’s done and you can dissect it if you like. And remember, the design part of this - interpreting that building as if I had to make it for a client, ad draw it, is my job. I get paid to do that sort of drawing. Mostly furniture, but garage doors last week for an HGTV program, and occasional other things like that. Also, as a furniture maker, I know how wood things go together.

Attachments

ahaha i was joking, of course I’m a beginner :slight_smile: but thanks, as i said i’m following your examples and trying to re do what you modelled. I’ll draw some sketches before getting to model it, the problem with the guildhall was that i realised too late that the ceiling was too low even for a bedroom, let alone for a rich gothic building :wink:

Sketch up is a great program for drafting in 3d. Give it a shot if you haven’t. It’s not Blender, nor does it try to be. Great for working out proportions etc before modeling. Architecture is complex.

yeah i was actually using it before getting to blender :slight_smile: I had modelled a medieval house with it but it wasn’t even comparable to the work I have done later on (lol).

The first thing to know about architecture is that proportion is really important. Think about it this way - most people don’t use cross bows or swords everyday, or fly in spaceships. If you make an error with one of those things, it will be much harder to notice. Buildings however…most of us would be able to spot a low ceiling or stairs that are the wrong size very quickly. One more tip - there are references for how big things are on buildings all over the place. I measure things all the time if I can’t find the info online.

yeah, but that’s not a problem, I mean I’ll design it again and better. Sorry, wrong thread, but I’ve tried to make a shield using your example, did it in 5 minutes, so paying it more attention I would do something better, it was just to try. Just to let you know I’ve figured out how to install the brushes :slight_smile:

Attachments