Medieval Market Scene

I note, that the seams on you would are all vertical. What mapping do you use. I think wood textures based on images should be done with UV unwrapping. The pork looks a bit square shouldered. I would try to fix this with sculpting. You do not need a lot only to take the edge a bit of.
See http://cgcookie.com/blender/2011/08/31/sculpting-a-human-head/

Keep up the good work

Thanks :slight_smile: yes I know I was trying to fix it, that’s my first “sculpture” anyway :slight_smile: I use UV mapping, I have unwrapped them and that’s the result… I still have to learn a lot I know :slight_smile:

i like it, looks a bit too cartoony for my taste, but(t) still good

thanks :slight_smile: I am now working on sculpting so I will re model the piggy as soon as I finish with the BCtutorial. The big problem is texturing… I know I should draw my own textures with photoshop but that’s very harsh to do haha

Well…
Lots of objects, particularly the originals (e.g. cloth cover, barrel, bowls…) are very low poly. Do you know how to use a subsurf modifier? It looks like you did on the pig but most other stuff needs it. Other than the raw meat all your textures are clearly set to flat projection in the mapping. If you set it to cube it will project equally along all axis, which is absolutely vital for this scene.
Considering that you’re just a few weeks into Blender it’s really good, but there’s still lots to work on.

Thank you very much comment, Owlude. Actually I am remodelling the whole scene again, trying to better model every item in the scene. I think I will attempt to sculpt the pig instead of modelling it moving faces vertexes and edges, it seems more practical. Every day I get to know new things about this fantastic programme. I will start making my own textures too with photoshop though I know it’s a long way before getting decent results. But have plenty of free time ATM so I will try and try harder.

I sculpted the pig to make it less cube shaped. it’s getting better… I’ll try to make a decent texture with photoshop

Attachments

the front of one of the houses facing towards the market scene

Attachments

other images

Attachments

the smaller building would be a house while the second (I’ll fix it tomorrow) would be an apothecary with a house on the second floor. Now, architecture in the middle ages (a part from cathedrals and castles) was a little bit screwed up, better, they built houses without caring about effective symmetry and stuff. This said, I’ll fix the edges and scale of the buildings. Soon the church will follow along with a town hall, a smith, a baker and lots of other boots. Please rate my work and give me suggestions to better model / texture my little medieval town :slight_smile:

Attachments

I think it’s coming along nicely. The buildings, except for the overhangs on the front, are noticeably flat, but depending on the final scene you’re working toward that could work nicely. It’s one of those “artistic license” things… I’m assuming you’re licensed? :smiley:

Keep it up!

Thanks for your feedback. Indeed except for the overhangs, planks, doors and windows they are flat. But what can I do to reduce this effect? Anyway, I will adjust the proportions and post the results :slight_smile:

I have re designed the apothecary (windows and door are missing) please note the hanging sign :smiley: Herbs, potions and other stuff I wouldn’t drink nor eat coming soon

Attachments

wow i really like your building models :slight_smile: how long did it take you so far?

Thanks :slight_smile: anyway it doesn’t take too long actually, every building is like 1 hour work and have been working on it for a week so far, before i was creating those boots u can see in the previous posts. I am following some images taken from the internet and a book by Ian Mortimer, an English historian. And the aim would be creating an entire town square… Im afraid though the file will become too heavy to manage :frowning:

soon new settlers will join us. oh and help me find a name for the town :slight_smile:

Attachments

any idea as to the sort of setting you want for it? for a small country the landscape can differ quite alot depending on where you are :slight_smile: so will help get a rough name for it lol :slight_smile: and an hour a piece is pretty impressive lol i had the same problem a while back i looked at the big picture too early on and it became too much to tackle when i was learning everything lol

Yep I know, but hope there’s a way to import blend files… have to figure out how. Anyway, the buildings and objects are quite low poly so far, so the file is very light, and the render takes less than 1 minute so… Of course I haven’t set any nodes yet, still have to learn how to use them properly.

This would be a northern Europe town, but I’ll come to the landscape later on lol. The Cathedral will take lot of time :slight_smile:

Attachments

Before you go much further, I recommend fixing some fundamental texturing issues. The wood beams you’ve got on the houses have the textures mapped a bit randomly - sometimes the grain runs the length of the beam (correct), other times it runs across the grain. I’ve attached 2 images - one is of your house, the other is of some wood beams I’ve made.

The other issue with the wood is that it is very orange. Natural wood beams will fade to a grey brown (depending on the species) over time. My image is of beams textured with a texture I created from a photo of old, hand hewn beams. This is as accurate as I can make a low poly beam, based on my knowledge of woodworking (I’m a professional furniture maker).

Attachments

Wow, your scene has greatly improved! You’re pretty good for being only a couple of weeks into Blender!