Medieval Market Scene

@3d medieval thank you very much for your help, I’ll try to fix that now. Let me say I would like to thank you for the tutorials on medieval emporium (guess it was you) from there I took inspiration for the houses and learnt how to make a vault. Also, I have seen the videos of your game on youtube. How is it going on? That was great stuff so far.

@Owlude: thank you very much mate, I’m glad you like how’s the scene’s getting on, even though I am very far from being good at blending :slight_smile: I will keep on post the results as the town slowly gets bigger and bigger haha :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Manorial;2091619]@3d medieval thank you very much for your help, I’ll try to fix that now. Let me say I would like to thank you for the tutorials on medieval emporium (guess it was you) from there I took inspiration for the houses and learnt how to make a vault. Also, I have seen the videos of your game on youtube. How is it going on? That was great stuff so far.

Yes, that’s me. The game is dead, but that’s ok, because I use the world as my basis for modeling, and I sell the models on TS and make good money. Glad to be of help.

ah okay :slight_smile: not really northern europe per say but google pictures of Lincoln it has some really nice olde world architecture lol. the area around the castle and cathedral would probably provide some good inspiration :stuck_out_tongue:

what did you mean by import a .blend? you can import elements by pressing F1 but im sure someone can go into more detail for you :slight_smile:

Yay for northern Europe I meant England, not really northern but not southern either :slight_smile: Lincoln is impressive, I should pay a visit there when I’m back in the UK! The cathedral will be a nightmare to model though ahaha unless i find some good textures :smiley:

@3d Medieval pity the game’s dead I was hoping to play it someday! Anyway, I tried to reproduce the medieval house u modelled on Med Emporium in google sketchup and then discovered Blender thanks to you ahaha you’re like a Maestro. Did you create those beams with photoshop? I can’t figure out a way to design textures… still taking them from the internet…

middle is the word perhaps lol

yeah the only reason i thought of it is because its local lol. St albans is supposed to be another good example of that sort of period :slight_smile:
no reason why you cant take photos and work from that :slight_smile:

Yay, gothic cathedrals are overwhelming, even if I don’t believe in religion I like churches as men crafts, and thinking they’re almost 1000 thousand years old is quite impressive to think, innit :slight_smile: And some said taking textures from the internet is like cheating. Now i think that is a little bit exaggerated but I like to create things on my own it gives me some sort of happiness lol :slight_smile: same why I don’t play covers with my band but only compose new songs… Others say don’t reinvent the wheel so I have to find a compromise. Anyway, I don’t know how to use photoshop, or better, just the basics, downloaded a 500 pages manual and gave up after 2 hours ahaha :slight_smile: do u have any models here? id like to see em!!!

@3d medieval

am i getting closer to what you meant? and what is better then, this kind of dark wood or the previous one?
i designed this wooden texture with photoshop

Attachments

Uhm the physician said my temper shall be healed by some special herbs, I hope they be available in tis apothecary.

• Excuse me? Are ye in there? Mr. shopkeeper?
  • Er, frightfully sir, it happens I am still to be created…
  • Oh no I don’t want my blood to be let. Again. Somehow I feel weaker after those leeches get off my arms.
  • Ye may wait for Mars to align with the Moon, ye know, natural remedies really work things out most of the times…

Of course, this was unlikely to happen. Non existent persons cannot speak.

Attachments

yeah i have a couple lol only working on one at the moment in the WIP section if you want to check it out :slight_smile:
I know what you mean, it certainly takes alot of skill to construct something on that scale especially when the tools they had to hand were nowhere near as sophisticated as they are now lol.

if you manage to get a photo square on of some of the stone blocks you can always make a tileable texture and then just mix it with some cloud brushes etc to give some variation :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, better, but if you want to get that photo-real quality, go for photo based textures. You have not indicated what you are aiming for here, so I’ll pose the questions:

This scene - will it be for real-time (game) or a render?
Your style: realistic, cartoon, semi real etc?
Your textures: Hand drawn or photo based/edited?

Concerning textures, there are lots of free sites:
My own: www.freetexturesite.com - not a lot of great wood textures, but it has nice doors and books. Chaeck it out. There’s a link to another one of my free sites on that page

www.cgtextures.com Tons of high rez free textures (with a free account).

“…you’re like a Maestro”
Man, I hear that all the time…well, maybe once a decade…Thanks. I’m glad I helped you discover Blender.

The next thing I’d recommend tackling is proportion. Think about how large things are in realation to one another, and try to find the real-world scale of things.

Guys :slight_smile: sorry for the delay but I have been working on both sunday and monday as a touristic guide in a castle (INDEED). @Beacon: I will try to do so, first on I will add a few houses more just to give the impression of a village before building up the cathedral. Are you from Lincoln by any chance?

@3d Medieval: Thank you once again for your help. The scene would be for a sort of “demo” for a video game a friend and I would like to create so in this scene the character would have to escape from the guards and make his way through the market. Easier to say than to do lol. The scene would be then semi realistic, and the textures taken from real photos… Of course i don’t want to create a graphic like Battlefield 3 my macbook pro wouldn’t support that. And while i’m creating the scene I make renders using them for historical purposes, for example what a person could buy in a XIV market, what they could find in say an apothecary, smith, baker and so on. All with images :slight_smile:

in a XIV CENTURY market+

I am working on a Blacksmith’s I’m adding to the scene… @Bacon I see you’re really good at modelling characters, would you like to create a few we can add to the scene? Just to make a little animation and then a video game demo :slight_smile:

Attachments

The scene’s getting better and better. Last render looks a bit grainy.

Im closer to Lincoln than Nottingham. I live about 8 miles from lincoln (about 10-15 minutes in the car) so yeah im fairly local lol. Its normally where i go shopping etc :slight_smile:

Lol thanks, im not the best but i have been learning for a while just it time wise its taken me ages to get to where my current character is lol

@Owlude: Thanks, really, too kind of you. I can’t wait myself to see it finished, with all the people walking around :smiley: :smiley: anyways it’s real fun building this scene up.

@bacon: fair enough, as i said i have to come there and see the cathedral and town, they sound pretty interesting. I am moving to London in September for I’ll be starting college then :slight_smile: Anyway, help is very much appreciated, so if you feel up to it, I can brief you and send you some examples. I have some nice ideas about a possible game!

Attachments

@Manorial, quite a bold risk to try making people already. Not holding you back, just saying that I’m over a year into Blender and still haven’t dared to try people. =D The straw roof texture looks a bit repetitive, but not bad.

ahah yeah I mean I will dare to try later on in the future :slight_smile: First on I have to finish the whole setting, and lot of houses and booths are missing, let alone the church. I have searched google for some good straw images but couldn’t find much… any ideas how to model a realistic straw roof? Low poly of course…

umm i think particles would be the easiest way to go or several planes with alpha channels and painted textures to give the impression of volume i think would be your best bet :slight_smile: