Medieval Market Scene

Here are some details Im working on. A medieval dummy and some helms (an armour and swords to come).

For what concerns the straw roof, I made it from a cube than modified with the subdivision modifier and adjusted moving the vertices… I’ll try to follow your suggestion Bacon, even if I still don’t know what alpha channels are xD

Attachments

an alpha channel is basically part of an image or a texture that controls the transparency :slight_smile: put a couple of these a little offset and it will give the impression that theres depth to it :slight_smile: or at least a little more depth than a flat image :slight_smile:

Ok I’ll try to fix the straw roof then :slight_smile: Here’s some items one may find at a blacksmith’s in a medieval market place :slight_smile:

Attachments

looking very good :slight_smile: really like the stone textures you have used :slight_smile: certainly coming on quickly :slight_smile:

Very impressive!

@Bacon: thank you mate, I took inspiration from some models on the internet, I saw some really great :slight_smile: the texture was taken from this site, there are tons and all for free: http://www.cgtextures.com/

@Dreylliw: thank you very much, still lots of buildings and booths to come :wink:

Just beside the blacksmith we find a… Carpenter! Hang on, where’s he? He’s gone away…with a faire compaignye, does it ring a bell?

I am talking about the poem by our Geoffrey, of course…

Well met, well met, my own true love.
Long time I have been absent from thee.
I am lately come from the salt sea,
And 'tis all for the sake, my love, of thee.

I have three ships all on the salt sea
And one of them has brought me to land.
I have four and twenty mariners on board:
You shall have music at your command.

The ship whereon my love shall sail
Is glorious for to behold.
The sails shall be of shining silk,
The mast shall be of the fine beaten gold.

I might have had a king’s daughter,
And fain she would have married me.
But I forsook her crown of gold,
And 'tis all for the sake, my love, of thee.

Attachments

This is turning out so awesome you have some skill!

Thanks, too kind of you :slight_smile: :slight_smile: Still lots of work and lot to fix, but I like it and I’m having fun even if I’d rather go to sleep now :smiley: I’m afraid the scene will get too heavy to manage… I have to keep it low poly otherwise the square won’t ever be completed :S

any suggestions? Which other building may I place? I thought about a Tannery, a baker, another blacksmith maybe, an alehouse and other houses… and the church of course. Other booths will be selling bread, cheese, fish (maybe haven’t yet decided whether the town would be close to the sea or not), clothes, leather, wool, woven, vegetables, fruits… and? Have to check my book again but damn I lent it…

http://www.infoocean.info/avatar3.jpgThanks in advance for your kindness, fellow blenderers.

Medieval professions:

http://arcana.wikidot.com/list-of-medieval-european-professions

In the carpenter shop some repetitive textures are obvious.

@3d medieval: thanks for the fantastic link, I’ll take a deeper look as I’m back home! The problem is I can’t find too many models to base on, apart from the most common… And of course modelling tools is something still too difficult :S

@Owlude: yeah I know, but I’ll try to vary a little and add more tools and planks, of course in the middle ages and in the same area there wasn’t a great choice of wood, the same type was widely used for everything (I’m guessing, correct me if wrong) but anyway as I’ll get to a “post production” case I’ll adjust and fix all the textures… One thing is also missing is a decent hanging sign for the apothecary (now it’s just wood coloured) but have no idea how to do that… photoshop maybe? Is there a way to turn blender units into cm and mts?

“there wasn’t a great choice of wood”

Not so.

“To a large extent, woodworkers used the woods that were available locally.”

http://www.medievalwoodworking.org/articles/wood.htm

You can just be safe and stick to oak, which was the most common wood used. Oak trees grow very large, and the wood is very, very tough and rot resistant. Most architecture was built with oak.

This texture (mine) was created from a hand cut oak beam. It’s about as close to perfect as I can imagine a medieval architectural wood texture. Not trying to sell it to you by any means. I’m just giving you an image to shoot for. As I said, I’m a furniture maker, and as such, I know a good bit about wood.

http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/642998

Wow crazy links, I’ll try to get some decent wood textures and start giving every item its correct wood type. Thank you for the hints :slight_smile:
It will be fun when it comes to model some internals…

It looks great. I would suggest dirtying it up, though. The buildings look too clean. Didn’t they empty their chamber pots out the windows in the middle ages? Well, maybe don’t make it that dirty.

Also, it would look more realistic with fewer perfectly straight lines and 90 degree angles, I think.

But what do I know? I’ve only been messing with blender for a week or so, and I would love to be able to make something like you did!

@Johnny: Thanks mate, but don’t worry, it’s pretty easy to do, textures do most of the work :wink: anyway yeah, I shall dirt the buildings working on the textures and fix the beams with better wood texts. I was looking for a carpenter in my town so i might take some pictures and then adjust them with photoshop just to have more realistic images to work with. I’m working on windows ATM, 3d Medieval gave me some ideas, I’ll post the results :slight_smile:

Something you can do to fix this is:

1. Get a really big wood texture. (like, super detailed)
  2. Under Texture Panel > Mapping, there’s a drop down bar by default set to generated. Set this to object.
  3. Add an empty and scale it up.
  4. In the object bar in the texture panel, beneath the drop down bar, choose the empty as the object.

Now, as you move the object, the texture stays where the empty is. This works with duplication, and it can totally fix the problem so long as the texture - and empty - are big enough.

Thanks for the hint, I’ll try to do that :slight_smile: Meanwhile I have created this texture with blender, please use it if needed :slight_smile:
It’s my first window texture so it will get better in the future, but I think it’s quite good looking so far

Attachments

Hey, that is looking very good! Thanks for posting it - I might need it.