Mesh Align Plus

hello, do someone who can code on this thread know the answer of this question?
https://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/138989/align-object-a-to-object-b-to-their-respective-active-faces-with-python

i found a code that alight object a to B face, i just need to find how to align their respective active face together

ih the gif i use zakaloop tools, it do what i want but only between two island

very good addon ! can pls make this as a default addon in Blender 2.8 ?

also pls ask for some custom icons to the Blender icon creator instead of using those placeholders,

Is there any possibility you would be able to update align objects code for the 2.79 version? You do have a version of your plugin that is compatible with 2.79 which I do use, however the functionality is not up to date like the latest blender and it’s been giving me a lot of issues that 2.80 doesn’t have. I tried the same quick align function on both versions of blender but only the 2.80 worked for me. :frowning:

I generally work on things like converting older video game levels into newer engines. While I’d love to switch over to 2.80 the majority of addons that I use are extremely old and simply not compatable.

I’m really hoping the code is something simple to fix. I’m not really a programmer though so I was hoping you might be able to help. :frowning:

Is there no UNDO!!!?? Very good addon! Now this makes Blender promising as precision modeling!

Hi Eric, I love the addon! And have a suggestion.

Since 2.8 allows to edit several objects simultaneously, I wonder if it’d be a nice idea to have some sort of quick-quick align: you select 2+ objects, go to edit mode, select 1-2-3 points on each one and use Align: the latest object would be considered as a destination and others would be sources. This way the functions could be used much faster without going in-out of edit mode for each object and clicking Grab this and Grab that.

Cheers,
Sergey

@Sergey_Kritskiy It’s a good idea, and people have proposed similar features in the past. Now that multi-select is officially part of Blender, your suggestion makes even better sense!

I’m unsure when I’ll get around to adding more features, but will put this on the list, thanks.

EDIT: I LIED, I’M ABOUT TO RELEASE MORE FEATURES. I just got “Apply to: Object Origin” working in the code (suggested by @eobet in the news thread). Once I can finish UI for it, I’ll do another release.

5 Likes

I really appreciate the add-on, it is a great substitute for several abandoned CAD scripts, which have not been ported to Blender 2.8, thx for your work!

2 Likes

is this working with blender 2.81 ? I cant seem to install it

Update: I have “Apply to Object Origin” mostly finished, but it’s currently broken for axis rotate. Once I can fix that, I’ll create a new release.

@Kranos Yes, it does work for 2.81a (I just tested it). People always seem to have trouble installing Mesh Align Plus, and it’s usually because they’re using the wrong zip file (“clone or download” from github DOES NOT work)…so, from the install instructions page:

• You have to go to the releases page, and use the mesh_mesh_align_plus.zip file provided at the bottom of that version’s release post.

• Exact zip structure should look like this:

mesh_mesh_align_plus.zip
|___ mesh_mesh_align_plus (folder)
|_______ utils (folder)
|_______ __init__.py
|_______ advanced_tools.py
|_______ ...
3 Likes

Oh, I just made a new issue on your github, but perhaps “apply to object origins” solves my issue as well:

I’m trying to achieve this in Blender, only the way the three colored objects are grouped in Blender is with an empty parent, and that’s what I want to align:

GIF 09.03.2020 12-25-37

Hmm. I’m pretty sure I had to make a decision about this at one point a long time ago (allowing transforms of non-mesh objects), but I didn’t have a use-case for it at the time so I left it disabled. I’ll have to double check, but I think it’s a fairly easy thing for me to enable. I’ll post again when I have time to check (and if so it’ll go in the next release) :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Sounds fantastic! I’m crossing my fingers. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I can implement the move thing for parented objects to an empty in PDT, you can already do this if a series of objects are parented to a mesh object. What I have not looked at is aligning them, as that is more than catered for with this excellent align tool.

It might be worth trying to parent some objects to a mesh object then try this align tool and see if the children also taken on the alignment. I guess one issue might be if you want some of the align points to be on multiple objects

1 Like

Mmkay, I tried it out and it was indeed fairly easy to implement, so I’ll target the next release for applying to non-mesh targets (empty/parent objects being ONE OF the main use cases):

non_mesh_transform_2

EDIT: To be clear, you will be able to use non-mesh objects just like mesh objects: as the active object, or in multi-selections, etc. (obviously you will have to “Apply to: Object” though, as it doesn’t make sense to “Apply to: Mesh” for non-mesh objects):

non_mesh_transform_3

3 Likes

Just wanted to say thank you soooo much for this awesome addon, amigo! The amount of hard work you’ve clearly put into this addon is amazing, and I hope it gets incorporated into the main build! Thanks again, and keep up the great work!

1 Like

I was about 30 seconds away from releasing v0.6.0 this weekend, but decided to stop and add ONE MORE FEATURE first: the ability to set an object’s origin with 3 points (it will be an alternate mode on the existing “Align Planes” op). Will GIF/post more info when I have it (this feature is already almost done and should be ready this week)!

@ChrisLeeCreations Thank you! :smiley:

5 Likes

Okay, here’s a GIF of the current functionality for “Pick origin mode”:

set_origin_2

Is “Pick origin mode” clear? Should I use “Set origin mode” maybe? I am planning to add geometry editors to the “Grab Origin” button, so you can manually set each point as with other MAPlus operators (each of 3 points could be grabbed from cursor, or averaging vert positions, or different meshes, etc.).

Do people want/need the ability to auto grab for this (“Auto grab source” as with other MAPlus ops)? I think I’ll probably call it done after adding the geometry editors.

3 Likes

Pick is too close to grab, imo, but how about “align origin mode”, since the add-on is called “mesh align plus”? :slight_smile:

egtwobits, how long before you update your addon? Thanks

I’m working on it right now. There are more than 20+ operators that have to be created to add geometry editing functionality to a plane. If all goes well, I’ll be able to release this weekend!

@eobet The checkbox/label has been updated!

EDIT: Near-release version ready, help testing appreciated, PM me for extra instructions (develop branch head) or read this: Grab PRE-RELEASE DOWNLOAD and put it here, EXACTLY like this folder:

2 Likes